• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

@jedovaty, I have an Anova in place of a Cuisinart, but I would say that the beets should be exposed to the steam. For the end of the cook (5 or 10 minutes), you could turn off the steam - Edited to add - so as to "caramelize" them.

Edited by TdeV (log)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jedovaty said:

@blue_dolphin Aha, that makes sense, I've done that a lot, duh, shouldn't thought of that.

I found the spreadsheet that lists other members' recommendations for different foods in the oven.  I'm going to try roasting a few small beets. I typically foil wrap then toss in my grill while roasting chicken.  Should I foil wrap them for this oven, or leave them bare?

I don’t have a grill but wrap unpeeled beets in foil when roasting in my regular oven and in the CSO with no steam, then rub off the skins. 

I recently tried a recipe that specified first peeling and cutting up the beets and oven roasting. Interesting bit of browning on the edges but I don’t like to peel beets so probably won’t repeat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My little baby is probably about 9 years old.  We use it daily.  Keep it really clean.  I am now noticing the door does not close shut tightly.  My DH noticed steam coming out of the top when using steambake function.

Anyone else with this problem.  Understandable with it’s age.  The gasket  is not really brittle.  Perhaps the spring closure mechanism is tired and wants his buddy,the spare, to give him a break?😵💫

it may be time..

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The old one is gone but I saved the water tank and grill pan.  The new one’s door really snaps closed …I forgot, but the old one was like that, back in the day.  It’s so shiny🙃

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

The old one is gone but I saved the water tank and grill pan.  The new one’s door really snaps closed …I forgot, but the old one was like that, back in the day.  It’s so shiny🙃

And clean!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

My little baby is probably about 9 years old.  We use it daily.  Keep it really clean.  I am now noticing the door does not close shut tightly.  My DH noticed steam coming out of the top when using steambake function.

Anyone else with this problem.  Understandable with it’s age.  The gasket  is not really brittle.  Perhaps the spring closure mechanism is tired and wants his buddy,the spare, to give him a break?😵💫

it may be time..

Sorry I didn't read this before!  My oldest has steam that escapes but he's still my baby lol.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Someone had posted a wonderful compendium of various settings and times for the CSO.  I know it was posted but I can't find it.  Can someone help?  I had a print-out and use it a lot but I can't find it.

22 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Someone had posted a wonderful compendium of various settings and times for the CSO.  I know it was posted but I can't find it.  Can someone help?  I had a print-out and use it a lot but I can't find it.

It’s stickied at the top of the Kitchen Consumer section if this is the one you’re thinking of:

• Thanks 1

I made @Shelby's White Bread Loaves yesterday.  I did the second rise and the baking in the CSO - Steam at 100F for about 25 minutes and then baked on the Bread setting at 350F for 25-30 minutes.  I made sure this time to lower the rack to the lowest level and kept an eye on the tops of the loaves towards the end of baking.  They turned out beautifully:

IMG_9328.jpg.116888958375525869a8e5036a33ed14.jpg

And, once again, I confirmed that the CSO is just invaluable for heating leftovers.  Night before last we got Chinese and I got Shrimp with Lemon sauce.  I always get the sauce on the side since I never can finish all of the shrimp.  These were the leftover shrimp that I had for lunch yesterday:

IMG_9323.jpg.d3e42b7342b64237c52ab9acb9bd3932.jpg

Before the CSO, my only real way of eating shrimp with this kind of coating was to pull the coating off and eat the shrimp cold.  But I used the Bake/Steam setting at 325F for about 6 minutes and they were perfect.  The crust was perfectly crisp and the shrimp was tender.  

I also had good luck with using the table that @Okanagancook put together (thank you!!!) to make some potato wedges for dinner last night.  I cut some larger thin skinned white potatoes into wedges and cooked them according to the directions for fingerlings - Bake/Steam (my favorite setting) at 400F for 40 minutes and they turned out so good:

IMG_9340.jpg.7583382bd4e72e25ca0bca97e2c77ae1.jpg

I use this thing every day for toast and heating things up quickly, but some days the way I use it makes me realize all over again what a great machine this is.  And wonder why in God's name it was discontinued.  And thankful that I have a brand new one waiting in the wings!  😁

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

48 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I made @Shelby's White Bread Loaves yesterday.  I did the second rise and the baking in the CSO - Steam at 100F for about 25 minutes and then baked on the Bread setting at 350F for 25-30 minutes.  I made sure this time to lower the rack to the lowest level and kept an eye on the tops of the loaves towards the end of baking.  They turned out beautifully:

IMG_9328.jpg.116888958375525869a8e5036a33ed14.jpg

And, once again, I confirmed that the CSO is just invaluable for heating leftovers.  Night before last we got Chinese and I got Shrimp with Lemon sauce.  I always get the sauce on the side since I never can finish all of the shrimp.  These were the leftover shrimp that I had for lunch yesterday:

IMG_9323.jpg.d3e42b7342b64237c52ab9acb9bd3932.jpg

Before the CSO, my only real way of eating shrimp with this kind of coating was to pull the coating off and eat the shrimp cold.  But I used the Bake/Steam setting at 325F for about 6 minutes and they were perfect.  The crust was perfectly crisp and the shrimp was tender.  

I also had good luck with using the table that @Okanagancook put together (thank you!!!) to make some potato wedges for dinner last night.  I cut some larger thin skinned white potatoes into wedges and cooked them according to the directions for fingerlings - Bake/Steam (my favorite setting) at 400F for 40 minutes and they turned out so good:

IMG_9340.jpg.7583382bd4e72e25ca0bca97e2c77ae1.jpg

I use this thing every day for toast and heating things up quickly, but some days the way I use it makes me realize all over again what a great machine this is.  And wonder why in God's name it was discontinued.  And thankful that I have a brand new one waiting in the wings!  😁

wow!  those loaves look amazing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where @Shelby's description of taking apart her CSO is?  No matter what I do, I can't seem to find it.  My CSO is still working, but it seems like it's using less water than normal, so I want to check everything out and see if there's any cholesterol in the tubing that could be causing the problem.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Does anyone know where @Shelby's description of taking apart her CSO is?  No matter what I do, I can't seem to find it.  My CSO is still working, but it seems like it's using less water than normal, so I want to check everything out and see if there's any cholesterol in the tubing that could be causing the problem.

I keep it bookmarked for myself in case I forget how I did it lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Damn You!!!

I just spent over 5 minutes using our "search" to try and find it - used "clogged" and by "Shelby" as terms

Found it, so I go back to post the link and you beat me to it!

Oh well, the main thing is KennethT gets the info

p

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

How very timely! I'm going to need those instructions too. I have now pinned a link to that post near the top of this forum, so we can all find it easily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

How very timely! I'm going to need those instructions too. I have now pinned a link to that post near the top of this forum, so we can all find it easily.

Thanks so much for doing that.  Hopefully it helps save some steam boys and girls 😁

• Like 3