• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I could get a refurbished on on Wayfair for like $219.00. But I don''t know if I want another.

Actually, this is on Amazon - CUISINART CSO-300N1C Combo Steam Plus Convection Oven, Silver

It's only $267 or so - hmmmm.....(I really like the oven).

Costco.ca has it for $229 CDN 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm tellin' ya....get a back up.  

OK, I have another back-up on the way from Costco now.   🙂

I bought my last one with Costco Canada also, but they didn't seem to have any availability for awhile. Thanks @Kerry Beal

I use this little oven so much, can't stand the idea of being without one. 

But I hope @weinooeither can fix his or find a new one.  😞

• Like 2

Guys - time to get an APO - I can't guarantee its longevity nor quirks, but it does a CSO inside out as far as functionality and it takes a much bigger sheet pan

p

• Like 2

3 hours ago, palo said:

Guys - time to get an APO - I can't guarantee its longevity nor quirks, but it does a CSO inside out as far as functionality and it takes a much bigger sheet pan

p

Steam broiling chicken at the moment in my new replacement anova APO.  Unlike anova, when my first CSO failed under warranty Cuisinart made me pay to send the broken unit back.  And the shipping wasn't cheap.  What's funnier, the replacement Cuisinart sent was a coffee maker.  At least they paid to send the coffee maker back.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, cdh said:

Mitch- Have you run acid through it to descale?  Or is the problem obviously not related to water making its way through the tubes?

No - that's not an issue here. This is the fan wheezing away.

9 hours ago, FauxPas said:

But I hope @weinooeither can fix his or find a new one.  😞

I never think these things are worth fixing (since I can't fix ANYTHING, I'd have to pay to have it fixed). New ones appear to be readily available, but I might want something different, which in my case would be a non-steam Breville.

9 hours ago, palo said:

Not enough room.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Have you ever used a Breville?  We had the compact Breville in our tiny DC kitchen - worked very nicely.

I know your question was directed to rotuts, but I've had two Brevilles and a CSO before moving to the APO.

The first BSO died having suffered the same malady yours seems to have, fan

The CSO stopped producing steam and I followed the repair instructions mentioned wa up thread to no avail

No problems with the BSOA other than no steam.

I have the Breville "A Bit More" toaster that I am well pleased with as well as the APO that I am VERY well pleased with

p

• Like 1

I have the CSO.  Mine makes lousy toast.  I tried it again a couple of weeks ago and it took 14 minutes to make toast, and I had to babysit it.  Other than that, it is the oven I use the most.  I also have the BSOA.  I have used the air function but if I had to replace it, and I would, I would not bother with the air function.  I do not have an air fryer.  My BSOA makes lousy toast.  I have the Breville Smart toaster and liked it a lot.  Notice the past tense.  It has started toasting unevenly and needs to be replaced.  I'll decide when the time comes if I'd replace it with the same toaster, as they are expensive.  I may look at the Ninja Flip toaster.

Edited by ElsieD (log)

I'm going to buy a smart oven sometime soon and I've been following the major contenders for a few years. I was intrigued by the CSO, but it's too small for my desired use. I've been waiting for a "CSO Plus" that's large enough to hold a quarter sheet pan and tall enough to accommodate two racks, but that does not seem to be forthcoming. The APO is certainly large enough (possibly too large for me), it's expensive (though justifiably so), and doesn't really toast (womp womp). I've thought about getting both the APO and a Bit More Toaster, as it seems like a killer combo, but that's a bulky and pricey proposition. I also am under the impression that steam ovens seem to develop faults and be less reliable than other countertop ovens. So now I'm leaning strongly toward the BSOAP which is spacious, has good convection, seems to be relatively reliable, and makes decent toast (at least toward the middle of the oven). And while it's expensive at $350 (on sale), it's still a far cry from the $700+ I'd have to shell out for the APO and a dedicated toaster.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, weinoo said:

And it toasts okay?

It toasts OK. I'm not the connoisseur that @rotutsis. He does have a point about the inner moisture.

But, I'm a clod...as likely to throw a slice of bread in a hot pan to toast it as to use a toaster.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I need an old, quality Sunbeam toaster. Which probably doesn't hold bagels!

I'd miss the CSO, and it's ability to reheat many things so wonderfully. As well as the good toast.

But what about the BSO, and a little metal cup of hot water in there?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

10 minutes ago, weinoo said:

That wouldn't make very much steam - it just will barely raise the humidity in there in any decent amount of time.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I mean, other than the possibility of electrocuting myself, or getting 3rd degree burns, it's not a terrible idea, is it?

Just wear sneakers and BBQ gloves

p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if you see a new CSO  listed anywhere

just buy it toot sweet !

well worth it at almost any price.

unfortunately , I ' don't remember '  where my two spares are.

That my story and Im sticking to it .

each purchased for <<< 170 USD  on sale , w free shipping and no tax.

just saying .

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I need an old, quality Sunbeam toaster. Which probably doesn't hold bagels!

I'd miss the CSO, and it's ability to reheat many things so wonderfully. As well as the good toast.

Maybe have a sheetpan in there...hot as a mother...and throw water on that? 

But still, BSO isn't sealed like the CSO.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 9:00 AM, weinoo said:

I mean, other than the possibility of electrocuting myself, or getting 3rd degree burns, it's not a terrible idea, is it?

CSO on Amazon for $269...only 3 left in stock at of 12:21 pm Central time.

CUISINART CSO-300N1C Combo Steam Plus Convection Oven (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 2

@weinoo 

others have spares .

@ 170 USD , etc etc 

spares became a bit

( help needed here )

Che-Che  or SHee-Shee  ) sp ? )

Im not that sure

its possible

@Shelby 

has a stash .

I think others here might

forward thinking Cognoscenti 

might have a few 

the vast Lurkers here

probably cornered and controlled the Market.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 2