• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, curls said:

Still haven't had time to open up my broken CSO but found another one at a great price. Still hoping my original CSO can be repaired and then it will be my spare. This company in Canada has CSO's available at approximately $215 USD / $280 CDN - https://www.homecoffeesolutions.com/products/cuisinart-combo-steam-convection-oven-cso-300n1c?_pos=1&_sid=bb587864b&_ss=r

Amazon US currently has the CSO at $255.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

@wibago  

I looked into Combi over some time ago.

built in models then were a bit small for use , and

then there was that added installation expense 

as I understand it , the Anova counter top model is a decent sie

and no additional expense for instalation

you do need dedicated counter top space

and it seems the Anova has had several glitches 

( possibly now fixed ) over the course of its y0ung life.

and the price  as all prices these days

had certainly gone up considerably.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wibago said:

Are built-in steam ovens (Miele, etc.) far superior to countertop models? DH has decided he is very interested in getting a steam oven for its touted "reheat" superiority but I'm wondering if a countertop model costing <$1000 would suffice as well as models costing thousands :/

Not having a Miele I can't fully address the question.  However after having three Cuisinarts and two Anovas I can say the APO offers more control than the Miele I saw in someone's kitchen.  Neither the APO nor the CSO are perfect, but I'd find it hard to live without one.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 months later...

Has anyone replaced the steam heating element? Mine doesn't have the usual "add water" error, and there is power to the element, but I think it's burnt out.

Edit: it's pretty cooked

image.thumb.jpeg.c80ddd12c47fda5ac9bbee093a8f7156.jpeg

Edited by maxm (log)

It is essentially a small steam boiler and I'm surprised there is no corrosion protection (anode rod etc). This gives the element a short expected lifespan, so it's equally surprising there seems to be no way to source replacement units. I can get all kinds of spare parts for my $100 kitchenaid blender, but not for this more expensive oven. 

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

I  haven't had these two TJ's items in a while , but usually have them in my freezer :

TJ Thai shrimp gyoza 

thaishrimpgyoza1.jpg.c2959b60e07de2bf47ffa3a0d0359c98.jpg

and TJ's fish sticks

64C836AE-4A38-C61C-45D2-8066665867C7-9934.jpeg.80e73c907337fee0cd174778473ffdd0.jpeg

I used the CSO , conventional bake   400 F 30 minutes , added 10 more # 425 :

IMG_3131.thumb.jpg.d3176ab7e7677afba97c92ef193fa775.jpg

the pot stickers were very crunch on top , but still moist inside.

the FS's were very very crunchy , and did not need to be turned.

I used conventional bake , as the CSO is a sealed oven, thus plenty of steam escaped when finished and the

door was opened

I tried this again the next day :

just the 400 F for 30 min:

IMG_3136.thumb.jpg.74bc1e2b0ff99a9d7498b2612b8759fc.jpg

the potstickers were still crunchy on top , not brned, and moister inside.  better

the fish sticks were still crunchy ,did not need to be turned , and moister.

both items directly from the freezer.

the second cook time is a keeper when I do both of these at the same time

if I do the FS's separately , Ill add a few minutes @ the 400 F temp.

easy , tasty and a keeper.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Ive soaked the Thai dumplings from frozen in cold water

for a few minutes ,

and cooked them on steam bake

they come out just  like a dim sum steamer.

the cold water hydrates a thin layer of outer dough 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally birthed a new sourdough starter after I accidentally baked my last one.  Made a ~400g test boule and didn't feel like using the regular oven, so I tried in the CSO with a small kiln shelf I had.  It worked with a ~20 steam bake followed by regular bake.  I did preheat ~45 minutes to get the kiln shelf hot, however, bottom was a little bold so will reduce preheat time.  I would not go past 400g loaf, maybe 450g depending on shape and expected rise.  A small dish of rolls would probably work out very well.

That said, this had a very strong oven-hei flavor to it so I would recommend anyone trying to bake break to clean the oven first (I've been roasting fish and veges several times a week in this for a several months now and.. ermm.. yeah.. I need to clean it).

csoboule.thumb.jpg.d06e019b63984a5d7d5867fb66094645.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, jedovaty said:

Finally birthed a new sourdough starter after I accidentally baked my last one.  Made a ~400g test boule and didn't feel like using the regular oven, so I tried in the CSO with a small kiln shelf I had.  It worked with a ~20 steam bake followed by regular bake.  I did preheat ~45 minutes to get the kiln shelf hot, however, bottom was a little bold so will reduce preheat time.  I would not go past 400g loaf, maybe 450g depending on shape and expected rise.  A small dish of rolls would probably work out very well.

That said, this had a very strong oven-hei flavor to it so I would recommend anyone trying to bake break to clean the oven first (I've been roasting fish and veges several times a week in this for a several months now and.. ermm.. yeah.. I need to clean it).

csoboule.thumb.jpg.d06e019b63984a5d7d5867fb66094645.jpg

Ha! I feel you.  Yesterday I used mine to toast some shrimp paste (350F on convection bake for 15 or so minutes).  I left the oven door open all day and night later.  This morning, my wife made an English muffin (from the freezer) and it (as well as the kitchen) was infused with the shrimp paste smell.  Good thing she likes shrimp paste!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3