• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

20 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

Is there a recommendation for a baguette pan that will fit the CSO? All those I see are too long. Is a couche the only answer? I'm reluctant to take the snippers to a standard smallish pan but could if sufficiently provoked.

I'm in Australia so I'm looking for a recommendation for an internationally marketed brand. Extra points for Amazon Prime.

I'm not baking baguettes: I'm doing bahn mi. A near-enough cousin for me to ask @JoNorvelleWalker if I'm likely to be disappointed:

I find the CSO generally good for bread in my very limited experience. Why are baguettes disappointing?

The width of the CSO is too narrow for baking a baguette.  I could bake a reasonable approximation of a baguette in the APO but in practice I use a special Korean water filled baguette pan in my big oven.

I would think you could manage an acceptable bahn mi roll in the CSO with the right pan.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

We hickory smoked a 2" bone-in rib-eye for dinner last night saving the cap of the rib-eye for leftover steak & egg brunch today.

This steamed steak & eggs brunch bowl works perfectly if you like soft boiled eggs: The whites are fully set with the yolks being slightly creamier than raw. It is very similar to a 145f sous-vide egg consistency.

The ingredients could easily be altered using a different (pre-cooked) protein or even veggie. This was so amazing that we're planning on trying subbing the steak with lightly precooked leaf spinach.

CSO "(Soft)-steamed steak & eggs" recipe for 2

Butter two 12oz ramekins

combine leftover steak slices, crushed tortilla chips, 2 eggs, crumbled goat cheese, couple small slices medium hard goat cheese (drunken goat), 1 heaping teaspoon shredded anchovies in each ramekin. Place on middle rack and steam at 170f for 30 minutes or until an internal temperature of 145f (or 150 if you prefer the yolks more firm)

See attached animation for a rough idea on how i layered these.

We have been using the CSO quite a bit now for various veggie and protein dishes and absolutely love it. Reheating leftovers is definitely the bomb. Since I have been cooking many things sous-vide over the past years I've been experimenting quit a bit with sous-vide inspired temperature/timing in steam-only mode at low temps. This seams to work so well for some things that we are already using our two sous-vide circulators less than before.

PXL_20210411_201920479.PORTRAIT-01.jpeg

PXL_20210411_202033788.PORTRAIT-01.jpg

PXL_20210411_202110051.PORTRAIT-01.jpg

PXL_20210411_202156071-01.jpg

PXL_20210411_190610524.PORTRAIT-01-ANIMATION.gif

Edited by jetfin
addition (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How long is a bahn mi roll? 

Jo, it's about 8 inches so will comfortably fit.  I'm drawn to a pan because the perforations create a crusty stipple on the bottom of the roll, which seems part of the platonic ideal of this roll.

17 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

Jo, it's about 8 inches so will comfortably fit.  I'm drawn to a pan because the perforations create a crusty stipple on the bottom of the roll, which seems part of the platonic ideal of this roll.

Anova is selling their Precision Oven in Australia.  The APO is a steam oven that will accommodate a typical baguette pan.  Sort of a CSO on steroids.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Anova is selling their Precision Oven in Australia.  The APO is a steam oven that will accommodate a typical baguette pan.  Sort of a CSO on steroids.

I'm so impressed with the CSO and a long time Anova fan, I'll definitely be getting us the precision oven as soon as finances and physical space allow. I like the idea of more precision control over the steam percentage and larger capacity.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Anova is selling their Precision Oven in Australia.

You are a corrupter of youth.

Fortunately for my bank account, I have no more room until the CSO meets its maker.

Mighty tempting though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jetfin said:

CSO "(Soft)-steamed steak & eggs" recipe for 2

Butter two 12oz ramekins

combine leftover steak slices, crushed tortilla chips, 2 eggs, crumbled goat cheese, couple small slices medium hard goat cheese (drunken goat), 1 heaping teaspoon shredded anchovies in each ramekin. Place on middle rack and steam at 170f for 30 minutes or until an internal temperature of 145f (or 150 if you prefer the yolks more firm)

Thanks from me, too.  I will certainly give this method a try.  Sounds like a promising way to avoid my usual problem of overcooked eggs when I make shakshuka-type things. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 12:41 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks from me, too.  I will certainly give this method a try.  Sounds like a promising way to avoid my usual problem of overcooked eggs when I make shakshuka-type things. 

Later the same day i used basically the same recipe sans steak but substituted lightly precooked spinach, squeezed out excess juice. This one took about 6 minutes longer, I'm guessing because of the extra density and residual liquid in the spinach. Also i found that covering the yolks with something (small slice of cheese) prevents the exposed area from overcooking. I'll definitely be experimenting more with this steamed breakfast bowl approach.

Actually you mentioned shakshuka: i think I'll try to make something similar with precooked and cooled ingredients....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

What would be your opinion of trying to steam this on "super steam" in the CSO?  If you are in favor, would you do it for the full hour and 15?

IMG_5637.thumb.jpg.02c0818e73595dcc66e075ea7dedfa68.jpg

IMG_5639.jpg.efdf79511910eec2bf6cd4973a496653.jpg

Yup - steam as you would in a steamer - so I'd do the full 90 minutes. I've never found a steamed pudding to suffer from too much steam.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

I thought super steam just allowed you to have 100% steam with an oven temp above 210?  I would think that normal steam at 210 best replicates a steamer.

Yes i agree, super steam adds extra heat from the bottom elements so i think it may not be suitable for things that just need a regular steam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 11/27/2020 at 1:08 AM, KennethT said:

I got in my lodge 11"griddle, removed the handles and reseasoned (so the newly exposed metal won't rust). Fits perfectly!!!

How did you remove the handles? I’ve always thought of cast iron as brittle and have been afraid to try any alterations

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, OzPolly said:

How did you remove the handles? I’ve always thought of cast iron as brittle and have been afraid to try any alterations

I used an angle grinder with a 1/16" metal cutting blade.  It cut like butter.  Then I rounded off the edges using my grinding wheel and wire brush.

On 7/31/2018 at 6:08 PM, Edward Dekker said:

Today I cooked a crispy skin Pork Belly.  

Finished Crispy Skin Pork picture 1

I took a nice piece of pork belly.  Lightly seasoned the meat side with Meat Magic and put a thick layer of salt on the skin.

29942632_2018-07-3114_33_02.thumb.jpg.1ce7ca68b2e7eafa6a201202a70a5ea6.jpg

Steam Roast 350 for 60 minutes.   The salt formed a crust.  Sections of the crust came off while other sections of the crust had to be broken up and brushed off.

478436594_2018-07-3115_37_21.thumb.jpg.a2ec54b6540aa1438818d1c32adc67dd.jpg

667271061_2018-07-3115_36_44.thumb.jpg.e57eeabf8295e1e002fb0a010a95404d.jpg1053655276_2018-07-3115_44_56.thumb.jpg.2c60ee0583cdc1e631294ded42e17b2d.jpg2145267384_2018-07-3115_45_01.thumb.jpg.e1430396e34a6e03f4bc9ab5fea858e6.jpg

The Pork Belly was then back into the CSO  - Convection Roast 450 for 40 minutes.

Finished Crispy Skin Pork picture 2

Finished Crispy Skin Pork picture 3

Finished Crispy Skin Pork picture 4

The result was a very crispy  skin with a nice crunch. 

More development is need - the meat was ok but not as flavorful and tender as i hoped.  I note that this Pork Belly has far less internal fat than I expected.  A pork belly with more fat may have worked better.

I'm getting ready to roast some pork belly and was wondering if anyone else had done it? Wondering also if the instructions above will yield a good result assuming a fatty enough belly?

https://www.seriouseats.com/tacos-de-castacan-con-queso-pork-belly-cheese-tacos-recipe

That's the recipe I'm after - Kenji says he roasts it at high heat (admittedly in a standard oven) for only 15-20 minutes to get crispy skin. Wondering if the 60 min steam roast that @Edward Dekker did at 350 will work for the first part - or maybe a lower temp for a bit longer? I just don't really have 7+ hours of free time before the event where I'm serving this

• Like 2