• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

Just taking a look, I may wind up just getting the 11" carbon steel fry pan from Vollrath ($25) and cutting the handle off... dimensions of the pan itself are very similar to the Lodge that's out of stock, and I can get 2-1/2 of them for the price of 1 Darto.

• Like 1

I decided to go with a Lodge 11" square cast iron griddle pan - I'm going to cut the handles off of it once it arrives so it will fit.  It's only an inch deep, which is fine since I won't be using the rack with it.  Arriving tomorrow....

It's relatively new (less than a year) - and I probably only use it for anything that spatters once in a while (that may change now that I have the new pan).  I also run the steam clean function practically after every time I use it as soon as I take out what I'm cooking (so it steams while we're eating) - I let it cool down a bit when it finishes, then give it a wipe with some paper towels.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody else here touched the metal housing of the CSO and gotten a tingle like it is carrying electricity?  Happened to me a couple of days ago. Unplugging it made the effect go away.  It is staying unplugged and a fan is going inside it to thoroughly dry it out... 

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

13 hours ago, cdh said:

Has anybody else here touched the metal housing of the CSO and gotten a tingle like it is carrying electricity? 

This hasn't happened to me. Though strangely, it happens when I brush my cat.

• Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Of course, we're loaded with leftovers, as is everyone, I'm sure!  Even Mr. Kim is loving using the various settings on the CSO to reheat things.  It's so funny - he'll come to me asking how he should reheat one thing or another in the CSO.  I'm steaming the sliced turkey and pork loin at 300F for 3-4 minutes.  I'm using 300F Steam/bake for sweet bread that his mom made for us.  Convection for the mini quiche.  So glad I drank the Kool-aid!  

• Like 6

On 7/19/2019 at 7:47 PM, dtremit said:

I'm guessing no one ran to B. Altman to buy it based on that!

A little searching suggests Tefal had steam toaster ovens until somewhat recently -- I found references to one called the "CROUSTY VAP" whose manual had a copyright date of 2005.

Another Steam Oven from Tefal: VitaDelice.

Tefal VitaDelice.JPG

• Like 1

The only listings I can find are for Europe, though - in fairness - we have plenty of regulars on that continent who might have an interest.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I think this Tefal is also a discontinued item — the online manual I can find for it has a date of 2006, and the various Tefal websites I've looked at in Europe make it look like they've gotten out of the oven business.

4 minutes ago, dtremit said:

I think this Tefal is also a discontinued item — the online manual I can find for it has a date of 2006, and the various Tefal websites I've looked at in Europe make it look like they've gotten out of the oven business.

Yes, also discontinued. Tefal only sell steamers now. On the other hand, Tefal is not the only one selling combi steamers over here.

30 minutes ago, chromedome said:

The only listings I can find are for Europe, though - in fairness - we have plenty of regulars on that continent who might have an interest.

Europe. Yes, that's where I live :-).

I bought the combi steamer about 10 years ago. Funny though, never used it. Had it in storage until now.... My kids and I had dumplings this weekend.

• Like 1

My CSO shut off in the middle of a bake a few days ago and won't turn back on. I let it cool down for several hours, drained all the water I could get to, let it dry out, and tried plugging it into a different outlet. Results: nothing. It won't even turn on and display the time. I know some people on this forum have done repairs to their CSOs, but has anyone successfully brought theirs back from not turning on at all?

Relatedly, it turns out my CSO is still under warranty. I've gathered from this thread that since the CSO has been discontinued, Cuisinart gives you store credit for other Cuisinart products. That's fine, maybe I'll get an ice cream maker. For people who've made warranty claims recently (let's say within the last year), did Cuisinart require you to ship the CSO back to them?

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, BostonVelociraptor said:

My CSO shut off in the middle of a bake a few days ago and won't turn back on. I let it cool down for several hours, drained all the water I could get to, let it dry out, and tried plugging it into a different outlet. Results: nothing. It won't even turn on and display the time. I know some people on this forum have done repairs to their CSOs, but has anyone successfully brought theirs back from not turning on at all?

Relatedly, it turns out my CSO is still under warranty. I've gathered from this thread that since the CSO has been discontinued, Cuisinart gives you store credit for other Cuisinart products. That's fine, maybe I'll get an ice cream maker. For people who've made warranty claims recently (let's say within the last year), did Cuisinart require you to ship the CSO back to them?

Thanks!

It wasn't in the last year, but when the fan failed on my first CSO Cuisinart required that I ship the unit back to them at my expense.  They then paid the shipping on the new CSO.  (Actually they first sent a coffee maker, but that's a different problem.)

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, BostonVelociraptor said:

For people who've made warranty claims recently (let's say within the last year), did Cuisinart require you to ship the CSO back to them?

You know, in a case like this, I'd first send an email to wherever it's supposed to be sent, accompanied by an attached receipt, and also explaining how difficult it will be to send the unit back (no packaging any more, covid, my back hurts, etc. etc.).

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Has anyone tried chawan mushi/tamago in the CSO?  Any suggested settings if so?

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!