• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

15 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The real question is does the 12 inch version fit in the APO.

I would venture it does not. The 10-inch is fairly tight. I don't see another two inches of play.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My dual handle 8” skillet was delivered a few minutes ago. I was going to take a photo of it in the CSO, but apparently the CSO was overdue for a Steam Clean. 😬 So I took a couple of photos of the new skillet in the pan that comes with the CSO. It fits nicely with plenty of wiggle room.

809E59FE-A5DC-4E4C-9B1C-78A30352B235.jpeg.76a704ad430de5e4e0fabb0c3e663fa0.jpeg

AB370D3F-EBE3-430A-969D-A98BBAB430AE.thumb.jpeg.455ae09115eac28251d5d4bd63f5e9b3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Thanks, but the Cabella and BassPro ones are the 12” - too big for CSO.

And the one for Walmart is sold by a third party with almost $12 in shipping fees.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kayb said:

I would venture it does not. The 10-inch is fairly tight. I don't see another two inches of play.

I did say APO.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Huh.

I could've sworn it was 10" when I posted it.

Sorry about that.

2 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Thanks, but the Cabella and BassPro ones are the 12” - too big for CSO.

And the one for Walmart is sold by a third party with almost $12 in shipping fees.

56 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Making @Marlene's Crispy Smashed Potatoes tonight and I am pre-heating the CSO on Convection to 425F.  It started making a screechy noise.  I went in and cancelled and started it back up again and, so far, no more noise.  Does anyone know what is up with it?

I had the same problem with my first CSO.  Your fan is going.  I got a replacement under warranty.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
spelling (log)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Is it still covered by the warranty since it's been discontinued?

Yes, if it was purchased within the last three years.  However Cuisinart cannot replace the CSO but they will (or at least would for me) credit your purchase price toward another Cuisinart product of your choosing.

• Thanks 1

I had taken a class, given by a Norwegian chef, where he slow roasted and very lightly smoked salmon in a conventional oven.

So, I am attempting to use the steam girl for that purpose.

1231917286_CSOsmoker11-05.jpeg.513b4b5d96e744c925c8be99ad37057d.jpeg

Remember - I said "attempting."  The salmon actually does pick up a bit of smoke. But I wonder if there's a better way, since so does my toast the next morning?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I had taken a class, given by a Norwegian chef, where he slow roasted and very lightly smoked salmon in a conventional oven.

So, I am attempting to use the steam girl for that purpose.

1231917286_CSOsmoker11-05.jpeg.513b4b5d96e744c925c8be99ad37057d.jpeg

Remember - I said "attempting."  The salmon actually does pick up a bit of smoke. But I wonder if there's a better way, since so does my toast the next morning?

Cameron's stovetop smoker.  Those things are great.  I have to check mine to see if it works on induction so I can use it after I move. Or I can always get a portable butane burner (which I've been thinking of getting anyway).

22 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Cameron's stovetop smoker.  Those things are great.  I have to check mine to see if it works on induction so I can use it after I move. Or I can always get a portable butane burner (which I've been thinking of getting anyway).

I have one of those - but I wanted to do this slow roast thing in the CSO, since it's less to mess around with and clean up.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

47 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I have one of those - but I wanted to do this slow roast thing in the CSO, since it's less to mess around with and clean up.

I'm sure.  The worst thing about the Cameron is the cleanup - it's a little better if you put foil above and below the wood chips, but it still gets gunked up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 9:33 AM, KennethT said:

I'm looking for a carbon steel pan (that works on induction) that will fit in the CSO.  Way back on the Darto thread, @kayb said the 27 paella pan fit in the CSO - but at $75 including shipping, I was looking to see what other options are available. Anyone, a little help?

I didn't patrol through to see if you'd found a good solution but Darto is having free shipping from now through Dec 22.  The 27 paella is $60, so significantly more expensive than that 10.25" Lodge pan (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that's currently unavailable on Amazon (I purchased it @ $15.11 about 2 yrs ago) and on the Lodge site 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I didn't patrol through to see if you'd found a good solution but Darto is having free shipping from now through Dec 22.  The 27 paella is $60, so significantly more expensive than that 10.25" Lodge pan (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that's currently unavailable on Amazon (I purchased it @ $15.11 about 2 yrs ago) and on the Lodge site 

Thanks for letting me know.  I haven't purchased anything yet.  I put my email address on the Lodge list for them to let me know when it comes back in stock, but with free shipping, I'll consider the Darto, partially because I was also thinking about getting a carbon steel pan or two.... but to tell the truth, I've seen some other carbon steel pans for a lot less - like the Vollrath for like $20+, and still have the rivet-less design.... but I'm thinking about it.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 1

Has anyone found that just one of the  settings on their CSO doesn't work?  All of my settings seem to work except the 210 degree steam function.  I find it strange that just one setting won't work and am wondering if it can be fixed.

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Has anyone found that just one of the  settings on their CSO doesn't work?  All of my settings seem to work except the 210 degree steam function.  I find it strange that just one setting won't work and am wondering if it can be fixed.

Does that setting work at temperatures other than 210, or just not work at all?

Wondering if maybe it's not actually boiling water (well), but is getting hot enough on other settings for the condensate to re-vaporize somehow. "Steam" is, I think, the only cooking setting* that doesn't use the oven heating elements at all.

* not counting the "steam clean" button, if you have one. That might be another thing to test.