• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

33 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Thanks - I found them online in my searching but didn't realize they were in Brooklyn. The problem with the stuff I've found on their website is that the handles stick out really far, which makes it hard to fit in the CSO without cutting the handles off, which I'd rather not have to do.  The Darto looks great because the handles stick straight up - and the Lodge would be ok too since the long handle gets stuck in the corner - but it does decrease the pan size a bit....

Do you actually want to make paella in the CSO? Or is it for some other reason?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

39 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Thanks - I found them online in my searching but didn't realize they were in Brooklyn. The problem with the stuff I've found on their website is that the handles stick out really far, which makes it hard to fit in the CSO without cutting the handles off, which I'd rather not have to do.  The Darto looks great because the handles stick straight up - and the Lodge would be ok too since the long handle gets stuck in the corner - but it does decrease the pan size a bit....

If cast iron is an option for what you're doing, I'm pretty sure the 12" "Dual Handled Pan" from Lodge would fit: 

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/product/dual-handled-pan?sku=L10SKL

I'm almost certain there's discussion of it as a bread option somewhere upthread.

For paella pans with a wire handle, it might be possible to bend them so they're more vertical, but I imagine that would very much depend on the specific pan.

The Matfer Bourgeat pans have more vertical handles, but the smallest size (14 1/8") seems like it's pushing it:

https://matferbourgeatusa.com/product/black-steel-paella-pan-4/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Do you actually want to make paella in the CSO? Or is it for some other reason?

I have no intention of making paella in the CSO - but I had wanted something sturdy that I could start on the induction hob and then finish in the oven - so carbon steel or cast iron it is.  The only type of pans available that either have no handle or very short handles are paella pans.  Ideally, I'd like a carbon steel griddle about the size of the CSO pan with about a 1" raised lip around it so juices don't spill out.

I started thinking about this the other night when I was making my hybrid-cooked duck legs (first SV then chill, then reheat/crisp in the CSO) along with potatoes (parboil, then crisp in the CSO in some duck fat while the duck legs sit on top and crisp the skin).  The pan included with the CSO doesn't give good browning for the potatoes.  I figured I could get a carbon steel or cast iron griddle hot on the stovetop, start the potatoes frying there, then stick the whole thing in the CSO to finish.

@dtremit according to what I read, the biggest pan that will fit is 10-1/2 x 10-1/2, so I can see how the 10" lodge pan will fit - the opposite corners of the 10.5x10.5 pan are 14.84" apart (hypotenuse) - this is the pan dimensions, and the pan doesn't fit exactly edge to edge but I can see how the 16+" dimension of the lodge could just barely squeak through. I don't think anything bigger than that will go - so I think the 14" matfer is a dream and I really wonder about the 12" lodge because the handles have width which can't fit in the corner like a single handle could.

Mea culpa -- I just tested a couple of pans and realized I am mixing up what fits in what. My 10" Lodge skillet does *not* quite fit in the CSO -- the last half inch or so of the handle sticks out *just* a touch. I use it all the time in the Breville and got mixed up -- will edit my post upthread.

I suspect that the 10" Lodge dual handle (L8SKL) would fit perfectly. At $20 that is almost certainly the most cost effective option.

I also just tested my 12" Lodge skillet, and the 12" dimension of that barely fails to fit between the rack supports. It's the actual diameter of the pan that fails to fit -- not the handles or the spouts. That pan is almost exactly 12" from rim to rim (maybe 12 1/8 outside diameter). It is frustratingly close to fitting.

This is an intriguing option, but I can't tell for the life of me what kind of steel it's made out of — the page talks about it being seasoned, and I *thought* the Mineral B line was carbon steel, but then you look at the specs and it says stainless / inox.

https://www.debuyer.com/en/poele-a-frire-ronde-amovible-mineral-b-sans-queue-1483.html

27 minutes ago, dtremit said:

Mea culpa -- I just tested a couple of pans and realized I am mixing up what fits in what. My 10" Lodge skillet does *not* quite fit in the CSO -- the last half inch or so of the handle sticks out *just* a touch. I use it all the time in the Breville and got mixed up -- will edit my post upthread.

I suspect that the 10" Lodge dual handle (L8SKL) would fit perfectly. At $20 that is almost certainly the most cost effective option.

I also just tested my 12" Lodge skillet, and the 12" dimension of that barely fails to fit between the rack supports. It's the actual diameter of the pan that fails to fit -- not the handles or the spouts. That pan is almost exactly 12" from rim to rim (maybe 12 1/8 outside diameter). It is frustratingly close to fitting.

This is an intriguing option, but I can't tell for the life of me what kind of steel it's made out of — the page talks about it being seasoned, and I *thought* the Mineral B line was carbon steel, but then you look at the specs and it says stainless / inox.

https://www.debuyer.com/en/poele-a-frire-ronde-amovible-mineral-b-sans-queue-1483.html

Thanks.  That makes sense.  Unfortunately, debuyer doesn't seem to ahve the no handle option in the US.  I can only find it on the French site... :(

29 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Unfortunately no.  The handles would make it way to big to fit.  I'm looking for something with either no handles or handles that stick up vertically from the pan.

On 10/21/2020 at 10:58 AM, dtremit said:

The 10-inch Lodge does fit. I bought it specifically for CSO use.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

28 minutes ago, dtremit said:

How do you squeeze it in? I can't figure out an orientation that allows the door to close.

28 minutes ago, dtremit said:

How do you squeeze it in? I can't figure out an orientation that allows the door to close.

Is it the pan with two small handles or one long one? Only the former fits mine.

39 minutes ago, dtremit said:

The two-small-handled one is what I was referring to. I angle the handles to the corners. Don't recall if I had to do that or not, but that's the way I use it.

FWIW, my 8-inch regular-handle skillet fits, handle and all. Convenient, as it is the cornbread skillet, and I often make cornbread in the CSO.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

3 hours ago, kayb said:

The 10-inch Lodge does fit. I bought it specifically for CSO use.

Same.  Fits perfectly, pictures up thread.  The Lodge rusts however.  

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 hours ago, kayb said:

The two-small-handled one is what I was referring to. I angle the handles to the corners. Don't recall if I had to do that or not, but that's the way I use it.

FWIW, my 8-inch regular-handle skillet fits, handle and all. Convenient, as it is the cornbread skillet, and I often make cornbread in the CSO.

Do you mind taking a photo of your 2 handled 10" pan? I can't seem to find it... 

26 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Do you mind taking a photo of your 2 handled 10" pan? I can't seem to find it... 

I believe this is the one:

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/product/dual-handled-pan?sku=L8SKL

I have been looking all over for it, but it appears to be out of stock or outrageously priced (on Amazon).

So, I have ordered this smaller one from Amazon:

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/product/dual-handled-pan?sku=L5RPL3

Due for delivery tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

I believe this is the one:

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/product/dual-handled-pan?sku=L8SKL

I have been looking all over for it, but it appears to be out of stock or outrageously priced (on Amazon).

So, I have ordered this smaller one from Amazon:

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/product/dual-handled-pan?sku=L5RPL3

Due for delivery tomorrow.

I don't need it desperately - so I put my email on their website so they can email me when it's back in stock.

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

415763bc843087a8a3e6ffae2f3e325c.png.891

Here's mine.  Dozens of pictures of the L8SKL earlier in this thread.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

What they said.

I MAY be back up near the Lodge outlet in NE Tenn. in a few weeks. If I am, I'll let you know, and I'd be happy to get one and ship to you, if they have it in stock there. 

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.