• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

I will have to give it a try on my next batch of dough. Finding something workable would be very welcome in these temperatures, to say the least! 

Sadly most of my collection of heavy steel or iron objects don't fit in the CSO, but for these purposes I can probably do a test loaf in a 7" skillet. I don't see why it wouldn't scale up.

I *started* a boule on Super Steam yesterday but only left it in for 15 minutes but transferred it to a cast iron skillet in the Breville to finish. Didn't get a ton of oven spring but I think that was just the dough, I was experimenting with that too!

On 7/20/2020 at 4:48 PM, weinoo said:

Something workable for me, in these temperatures, is buying bread.

So true! We are really trying to minimize store trips, though -- and I was growing wary of repeatedly feeding my sourdough starter without baking anything.

Most of our bread, of late, has come out of the trusty Zojirushi, which barely seems to produce any excess heat.

• Like 1

I used the CSO yesterday to reheat some steamed crabs that we had been given.  I did them on Super Steam at 350 for about 6 minutes - just long enough to loosen them up and make them easier to pick.  

I also used it to reheat the crabmeat itself for dinner last night.  A pie tin full at 350 on Super Steam again for about 4 minutes.  I couldn't see that the meat suffered any for being reheated (twice !).  

• Like 3

I'm reheating some paella as we speak.  In the last week or two I've been having technical difficulties with the CSO clock.  Not that the power here has been the greatest.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm reheating some paella as we speak.  In the last week or two I've been having technical difficulties with the CSO clock.  Not that the power here has been the greatest.

Reheating rice is one of those things that the CSO really shines at.  I was never satisfied with the microwave doing this.  

• Like 3

On 7/14/2020 at 1:27 PM, Kim Shook said:

I know that everyone knows about the wonderful tomato-peeling properties of the CSO, but have you tried peaches?  I did the other day when I needed to prep about 8 for freezing before they went south.  Worked perfectly.  I carved a little "X" in the bottom of each peach, put them in the pan "X" up, and super steamed them at 400F. for a few minutes (I think it ended up being 7).  What a joy not to have to deal with the pot of boiling water and pull the peaches out only to find that they haven't been in long enough.  

Thank you for this suggestion, by the way -- this method made quick work of a half bushel of peaches we recently procured. As long as one has enough pans, one can shuttle them in and out of the CSO faster than they can be cooled, peeled and sliced.

The only issue I had was with the last tray that was half full -- those ended up being a little overdone. Will know to reduce the time for a partial tray next time.

My sense was the batch I did on the "official" CSO pan -- the one with the ridges in the bottom -- was the most successful; the ones I did on a flat pan had a little ring of cooked peach where they made contact. Putting them on a rack would probably be ideal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

Chicken Skin

Convection Bake at 425F for 10 minutes to start then monitor.  Nice and crispy.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.669b0de02f735faa607baab330d30a3f.jpg

You are my hero.

• Haha 1

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?

Charles De Gaulle, in "Les Mots du General", 1962

• 2 weeks later...

You ever get a brilliant idea which somehow loses something in the execution of said idea?  

390810924_Salmonfiletssockeye08-11IMG_1859.jpeg.19428f513a599eb4478d801067639970.jpeg

I had these 2 really nice, fresh wild sockeye fillets. They were salted and dilled, and left in the fridge like that for 8 hours or so. I like to cook them in the steam girl, on steam bake, low, until they're done (which, in my case is just barely cooked, and in Significant Eater's case is more than just barely cooked, but that's a whole other story).

Anyway, the brilliant idea?  Why not smoke one of the fillets in the steam girl. Recalling that it is very well sealed, I figured just a little smoke might go a long way.

707845809_Smokinggun.jpeg.d8345c755c8ff7be85c2e255849c8729.jpeg

It was sorta like a Three Stooges episode, because as I'm trying to fill the oven with smoke, the smoke is coming out as fast as it's going in. I get to a point where I figure I've gotten as much smoke in the oven as I'm going to, so I slam the door shut and let the fillet cook for however long until it's done.  Smoke flavor? Nil.

Next time, I plan on igniting a little pile of wood chips in a small dish and putting it in the oven with the salmon.

Has anyone tried anything even close to this? And no, I don't plan on modifying the oven in any way!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

I wonder if the smoke all got taken up by the steam /mist and ended up in the condensation tray

Oh, I should've mentioned - I did the fillet I was trying to smoke on plain convection bake, at like 275F.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Oh, I should've mentioned - I did the fillet I was trying to smoke on plain convection bake, at like 275F.

Try using the warm setting instead.  No fan.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, StumptownGeek said:

Focus Camera has the CSO for $139 w/free shipping after coupon code SDOVEN.  Might be your last chance in the US...

Now showing as "Out of Stock" <sigh> ... but thanks for the heads-up.

• 2 weeks later...

The few successful times I have tried it, I was able to cook an egg in the shell on Steam 210 for 22 minutes.   The time before last I did it the same way.  The yolk was soft and the white as @Kim Shook  would say, resembles snot.  I tried it again the other day, and it was completely raw.  i don't know if it was warm, much less hot out of the oven because I removed it with tongs.  Any ideas?

37 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The few successful times I have tried it, I was able to cook an egg in the shell on Steam 210 for 22 minutes.   The time before last I did it the same way.  The yolk was soft and the white as @Kim Shook  would say, resembles snot.  I tried it again the other day, and it was completely raw.  i don't know if it was warm, much less hot out of the oven because I removed it with tongs.  Any ideas?

Was the CSO plugged in?  I'd guess the temperature wasn't really 210.

• Haha 1