• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

We will have to hope someone’s CSO bites the dust and they still have some Trumpbux.  As much as I lust after the next new toy, my pennies are being 

saved for a Henkelman Neo.

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?

Charles De Gaulle, in "Les Mots du General", 1962

3 hours ago, md8232 said:

I just discovered this Steam Oven and didn't find a thread about it.

It looks to address some of the shortcomings of the CSO.

https://fblumlein.com/products/fblumlein-steam-oven

I just wished they hadn't overcooked that Tomahawk steak.

Exactly what shortcomings does it address?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

I just wished they hadn't overcooked that Tomahawk steak.

Exactly what shortcomings does it address?

Interior space and rear steam vent.

21 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I find neither of those a problem, but that's just me.

My CSO is on an island, so no problem with the steam venting.

I would like a larger interior and I know people have mentioned it in

this thread.

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

That's a good test.  I took a post-it, sliced the bottom into fringe (not sure that was necessary), stuck it over the fan vents and watched the fringe flutter when it was on. 

There are 3 sets of vent holes on the right side wall.  The top set (where you can see the fan turning - duh - another good test) seems to be the intake and the air blows out of the lower sets of holes. 

@jrshaul, if you can't see the fan turning with just the oven light, try a flashlight or your phone. 

That is excellent advice. Thank you.

• Like 1

Fans are not usually easily "fixed".  If it's mechanical - that means the bearing seized up, and many bearings are press fit onto the shafts and can't be replaced without special equipment.  Also, if the bearing seized up, the motor would have tried to draw a lot of power to move it (called a "locked rotor") and probably would have tripped the thermal overload built into most motors.  Most thermal overloads are not reset-able - once they trip, it's usually cheaper to replace the motor, unless the motor is huge.  If the problem is electrical,  you'd need a voltmeter to first check if there's power at the fan to begin with.  The issue could be with the control board relay not sending power to the fan.  If there's power at teh fan but the fan doesn't turn, then see above.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KennethT said:

Fans are not usually easily "fixed".  If it's mechanical - that means the bearing seized up, and many bearings are press fit onto the shafts and can't be replaced without special equipment.  Also, if the bearing seized up, the motor would have tried to draw a lot of power to move it (called a "locked rotor") and probably would have tripped the thermal overload built into most motors.  Most thermal overloads are not reset-able - once they trip, it's usually cheaper to replace the motor, unless the motor is huge.  If the problem is electrical,  you'd need a voltmeter to first check if there's power at the fan to begin with.  The issue could be with the control board relay not sending power to the fan.  If there's power at teh fan but the fan doesn't turn, then see above.

Fixing things what aren't meant to be fixed is what I do. A dud motor is the easy option - finding something close enough isn't difficult, but dealing with dead control logic is a nightmare.

• Like 1

I had the fan fail on my first CSO after about two years.  Cuisinart replaced the unit under warranty.  But in the US these days that is not an option.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

56 minutes ago, jrshaul said:

Fixing things what aren't meant to be fixed is what I do. A dud motor is the easy option - finding something close enough isn't difficult, but dealing with dead control logic is a nightmare.

For someone technically minded, it shouldn't be a difficult fix.  I doubt the logic control is bad - I'd assume it would either be the motor (easy to test) or the relay on the board that brings power to the motor.  That, or just a plain ol' bad connection somewhere...

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

For someone technically minded, it shouldn't be a difficult fix.  I doubt the logic control is bad - I'd assume it would either be the motor (easy to test) or the relay on the board that brings power to the motor.  That, or just a plain ol' bad connection somewhere...

Does it use a relay? It's usually something solid state, which have an unfortunate habit of causing collateral damage when they go boom. SOP on audio equipment is to assume a dead transistor blew up adjacent components, too, but I'm not too clever with analog power electronics.

The motor appears to be a shaded pole motor. In theory, I could wire it to the mains power bus and just use a toggle switch to turn it on and off.

I can't afford another one, and it's broken anyway...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jrshaul said:

Does it use a relay? It's usually something solid state, which have an unfortunate habit of causing collateral damage when they go boom. SOP on audio equipment is to assume a dead transistor blew up adjacent components, too, but I'm not too clever with analog power electronics.

The motor appears to be a shaded pole motor. In theory, I could wire it to the mains power bus and just use a toggle switch to turn it on and off.

I can't afford another one, and it's broken anyway...

I don't think the motor changes speed - like a computer power supply fan would - I think it's either on or off, in which case, the easiest way to control it would be a relay.  I haven't taken mine apart so I don't know for sure, but it would make sense.  If I could, I would test it by turning on the fan mode and try to hear a slight click when the fan turns on, which would indicate relay, but mine is currently hiding in the bedroom, which it does when we're not using it (lack of kitchen space and all that)...

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@RWood  "but mine is currently hiding in the bedroom, which it does when we're not using it"

Are you related to @JoNorvelleWalker?  I think that's where she stores a lot of stuff.

But not my CSO!  CSO lives to the left of the stove.  (Spare CSO is in the living room.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@Okanagancook - blessings upon you!  I use your CSO spreadsheets a lot and they always help and I don't think I've ever thanked you!  Well, thank you!  And especially tonight because I made the best baked potatoes of my life!  Bake/Steam 400F for 1 hour and 10 minutes (mine took a touch longer because they were mammoth!).  Your contribution really is appreciated!  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

@Okanagancook - blessings upon you!  I use your CSO spreadsheets a lot and they always help and I don't think I've ever thanked you!  Well, thank you!  And especially tonight because I made the best baked potatoes of my life!  Bake/Steam 400F for 1 hour and 10 minutes (mine took a touch longer because they were mammoth!).  Your contribution really is appreciated!  

Odd, I've tried bake steaming potatoes in the CSO and it did not work at all well for me.  My favored method is in the big oven 430F, two hours, in a bed of salt.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have attached the spreadsheet only in a PDF format which is the one supported by Egullet...I use a Mac and so my spreadsheet is "numbers"  If anyone would like this please email me and I can send it that way.

For those unfamiliar with the spreadsheet, it was compiled by reviewing Egulleters' posts about what they cooked when it turned out they way they liked it.  So, it is meant as a 'guide' only.  I think I have added a few things along the way.

cheers..feeling better, thanks.

CSO in PDF Format.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

There are links to the spreadsheet pinned at the top of this Kitchen Consumer forum, right here

I've also found them super helpful!

Oh, I did not know that.  Excellent.  Glad it was helpful.  I have my CSO back in my pantry beside an upright freezer.  Taped on the freezer side is a short list of frequently used times/temps I use....saves looking it up if I can't remember.

cheers

• Like 5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1