• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

Ive done similar veg steam-bake

different temps and then times to go with them

and gotten good browning  and no fuss about the broiler being on for so long

just another option to consider

• Like 1

It’s here! Now I have to reorganize my counters and get creative with space. By the way, it’s a CSO-300N1C. Is that a Canadian model? Are there any differences?

51E34E0C-7075-4CFE-9DD0-10D5E7C8E172.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Hassouni 

read most of the thread now that you have a little time  on your hands.

dont poke your nose too close to the door the first time you try Steam-Bake.

and the tray that comes w the CSO , improved slightly from the CSO-1

is flimsy , and the hot drippings you want staying in the pan 

not splashed on your toes.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

It’s here! Now I have to reorganize my counters and get creative with space. By the way, it’s a CSO-300N1C. Is that a Canadian model? Are there any differences?

51E34E0C-7075-4CFE-9DD0-10D5E7C8E172.jpeg

Must be a CDN model with the french and english on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jrshaul said:

Does anyone know how to tell if the convection fan is on? I am unsure if mine is malfunctioning or simply inaudible.

I  can hear mine.

I suppose you could tape a sliver of paper in the oven and see if it flaps in the wind

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I  can hear mine.

I suppose you could tape a sliver of paper in the oven and see if it flaps in the wind

That's a good test.  I took a post-it, sliced the bottom into fringe (not sure that was necessary), stuck it over the fan vents and watched the fringe flutter when it was on. 

There are 3 sets of vent holes on the right side wall.  The top set (where you can see the fan turning - duh - another good test) seems to be the intake and the air blows out of the lower sets of holes. 

@jrshaul, if you can't see the fan turning with just the oven light, try a flashlight or your phone. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Thanks 1

I did salmon last night; 2 small filets of wild sockeye. Did them at 250℉ steam bake and they were perfect in 12 minutes. I like them much better this way vs. cooking in a sauté pan.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Thanks to all of you for this thread.  I stayed up way too late and read the whole thing.

Made Chicken Thighs last night, the skin was amazing.  Hoping to find some wings in town for tomorrow’s dinner.  Bread to follow ASAP.

For those who own an iProduct, using the copy feature to paste notes/recipes into the Note App has allowed me to keep many of the great ideas here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?

Charles De Gaulle, in "Les Mots du General", 1962

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

That's a good test.  I took a post-it, sliced the bottom into fringe (not sure that was necessary), stuck it over the fan vents and watched the fringe flutter when it was on. 

There are 3 sets of vent holes on the right side wall.  The top set (where you can see the fan turning - duh - another good test) seems to be the intake and the air blows out of the lower sets of holes. 

@jrshaul, if you can't see the fan turning with just the oven light, try a flashlight or your phone. 

Well, I looked at mine and could not see the fan turning, then did the post it note test and no wind. I guess that explains the lack of noice when I use convection bake. My unit was purchased less than two years ago. The unit has a three year limited warranty. I ordered it through amazon.com and received the Canadian model. I have sent off an email with photos of the unit and invoice to the Conair Canadian center, asking how I can get my unit repaired or replaced, as I live in the USA. Other than lack of fan function, the unit works just fine.

• Sad 3

One thing about the warranty.  When they replaced mine, the warranty on the replacement was only for the warranty time left on the replaced model.  I was surprised because I naively thought the replacement would come with a full warranty.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

One thing about the warranty.  When they replaced mine, the warranty on the replacement was only for the warranty time left on the replaced model.  I was surprised because I naively thought the replacement would come with a full warranty.

I am okay with that.