• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

Probably mentioned before... the CSO is amazing for reviving bread! I had some leftover tortillas from a fajita meal at a local restaurant. I had carefully wrapped them, sealed them in a freezer ziplock, stored in the fridge — looked fine this morning but not at all pliable. Put one in the CSO at 250 F on steam bake for a minute or two and it was just as good as fresh and made the perfect wrapper for my breakfast “taco”.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, curls said:

Probably mentioned before... the CSO is amazing for reviving bread! I had some leftover tortillas from a fajita meal at a local restaurant. I had carefully wrapped them, sealed them in a freezer ziplock, stored in the fridge — looked fine this morning but not at all pliable. Put one in the CSO at 250 F on steam bake for a minute or two and it was just as good as fresh and made the perfect wrapper for my breakfast “taco”.

Agreed!  I store my homemade pita in the freezer and reheat them at 275°F on steam-bake for 3 min and they come out as soft and pillowy as when first baked. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add steam! (log)
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I'm wondering if this has been mentioned before, but I needed to resuscitate some brown sugar today, and 5 minutes at 300℉ steam worked great.

Thanks. Very useful information. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had a mysterious noise today and I think it came from the CSO.  Wondering if it is familiar to anyone else.  I'm putting up a picture of the area of my kitchen that the CSO is in:

DSCN0752.JPG.cea692e95d8bf1ec07b844761f917942.JPG

So, going left: sink, dishwasher/CSO, pantry with shelves and washer/dryer.  I was standing at the sink washing dishes.  I had taken something out of the CSO and it was closed and cooling down.  The dishwasher/washer/dryer were NOT running.  I heard a terrific BANG!  It was definitely to my left. It sounded either like something heavy and glass had exploded in the dishwasher or CSO or like that sound that cheap sheet pans make when they suddenly warp in the oven.  I looked in everything and found nothing to explain the sound.  I even went outside and looked at the wall behind this area.  I was convinced when I heard it that it came from the CSO.  But nothing in there looks different.  Any ideas?  Thank you!!!

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I had a mysterious noise today and I think it came from the CSO. 

Quite frequently I hear a very loud bang from my CSO just after I sit down to eat whatever was in there cooking! I think it’s just metal cooling and contracting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Quite frequently I hear a very loud bang from my CSO just after I sit down to eat whatever was in there cooking! I think it’s just metal cooling and contracting.

Yes, I sometimes hear that stuff too.  And agree with your assessment!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Huh. My CSO is softspoken.

I wonder if its actually the sheet pan cooling in the oven. They do deform a lot with heat and might snap back to their cool shape with a bang.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Huh. My CSO is softspoken.

I wonder if its actually the sheet pan cooling in the oven. They do deform a lot with heat and might snap back to their cool shape with a bang.

It could also be the crumb catcher, I suppose -- similar construction.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

I've noticed the same thing.

• Like 1

Thankfully I've never heard a bang from either of two CSO's.  Worst I've heard is whining noise from a failing fan.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

32 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Worst I've heard is whining noise from a failing fan.

I've seen that complaint a lot on sports sites... :P

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Since I made beef short ribs (https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160121-dinner-2020/?do=findComment&comment=2238895) and had plenty of leftovers and drippings/beef fat I wanted to try making Yorkshire puddings. Wanted to practice first before introducing my husband to Yorkshire pudding and found a one egg recipe that looked promising. So, yesterday's lunch was short ribs and Yorkshire puddings. Since I loved the way they came out, this will also most likely be tonight's dinner along with a salad or other vegetables. I had some small ramekins from those pre-packaged bake & eat desserts that you can get at Costco/ BJs that worked quite well for individual puddings. For the dinner version I will make more and will use a metal muffin tin and the regular oven.

Drippings for the pre-heat...2039692734_IMG_5906-yorkshirepuddingbeeffat.jpg.92dc522cdb0866cda9d158ddaa7c95f3.jpg 66935703_IMG_5909-yorkshirepuddingpreheat.jpg.e7050151ea3d994a6542c1783c5a0bda.jpg

Will they rise? What fun to watch! Had to turn down the heat a bit towards the end of the cook.

98405614_IMG_5912-yorkshitepuddingsstarttorise.jpg.7a20a920d8983dd9e956f9ce6cdaddaa.jpg 1027168138_IMG_5916-yorkshirepuddingsrising.jpg.f57c7f34f2c5a24d0ac372ceb36159d8.jpg 1507779966_IMG_5917-yorkshirepuddingsrisen.jpg.cfc1dc184f9548f5b44fd3d8cd3d4236.jpg 91591380_IMG_5918-yorkshirepuddingscooked.jpg.80c33c4cbbe1c0a80a8e59edede191ce.jpg

Lunch is ready -- leftover beef short rib with Yorkshire puddings. Why yes, I did enjoy both of those puddings in one sitting.  🙂

1755194009_IMG_5921-yorkshirepuddingandbeefshortrib.jpg.d37b9f6d529b70bba199a65179e360c8.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 5

47 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@curls  Those Yorkies look amazing.  You said you had a 1 egg recipe?  Did it make just the two or do you have batter left?

No batter left, the 1 egg recipe fills an 8 ounce ramekin. I’ll make a fresh batch of batter for tonight’s dinner. 

I used the following recipe from Food 52 and omitted all the Welsh rarebit ingredients https://food52.com/recipes/78354-welsh-rarebit-yorkshire-pudding-for-one. Also baked at 400 F (vs. the recipe’s 450 F).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, curls said:

No batter left, the 1 egg recipe fills an 8 ounce ramekin. I’ll make a fresh batch of batter for tonight’s dinner. 

I used the following recipe from Food 52 and omitted all the Welsh rarebit ingredients https://food52.com/recipes/78354-welsh-rarebit-yorkshire-pudding-for-one. Also baked at 400 F (vs. the recipe’s 450 F).

Thank you.  As you can see, I made some.  I made the recipe as written with the cheese etc. and baked them at 400 as you suggested.  We really liked them.

Edited to add:  lost track of time a bit so they were a bit too (ahem) brown.

20200320_190140.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 2

3 minutes ago, curls said:

@ElsieD so glad that you made them and enjoyed them. Looks like they came out perfect! Now I'm inspired to tried the Welsh rarebit version too!

They were good wiith that melty aged cheddar inside.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

• 2 weeks later...

CSO

re-using respiratory masks for the Medical community :

Looks like 30 minutes steam bake at 160F might do the job without hurting filtration.

from a friend on the front lines.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, rotuts said:

CSO

re-using respiratory masks for the Medical community :

Looks like 30 minutes steam bake at 160F might do the job without hurting filtration.

from a friend on the front lines.

Got references?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ill email my friend re ref's

it may take some time for a response.

Thanks - I’ve got my hubby building UV sterilizer boxes 

• Like 6