• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

8 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Amazon no longer lists the steam oven.

Maybe they are coming out with a new and improved model?

I'm going to hazard a guess that it hasn't been a great seller for them, given how long it's been "discontinued" on the Cuisinart website while still being available for sale. They seem to be very focused on air fryer ovens now...

That said, the number of steam ovens available seems to be increasing, not decreasing, so I suspect we will have good options in the future. Really looking forward to seeing more specs on the Anova, assuming it does actually ship in 2020.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm not interested in a straight steam oven.  It's the ability to add steam to high heat cooking that does the magic for me. 

Oh, you're right -- it doesn't go above 100C. Miele does have models that combine both, but apparently that's not one of them.

Seems kind of disingenuous to even call that an oven.

Sigh. Having never secured my backup, I can only pray for the continued good health of my CSO.

Of course, the only appliance I have totally worn out has been a coffee maker.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 minutes ago, kayb said:

Sigh. Having never secured my backup, I can only pray for the continued good health of my CSO.

Of course, the only appliance I have totally worn out has been a coffee maker.

When I sent my first CSO back to Cuisinart they shipped me a coffee maker.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@kayb 

my CSO is still working fine.

it has ' a bit ' of patina , and i haven't steam-cleaned it in a while

but I did ' clean up '  the crumb sheet not that long ago.

we wont go into what the drip container is like when I remember to

take it out , and clean it.

so Im lucky.

i have premonitions that the Anova  is going to be considerably more expensive.

maybe worth it or not.

but im in no rush to get an Anova , until it establishes a solid track record

and what ever price it comes in at , or  on sale at Amazon.

• Like 2

It's on there now...but only a couple of them evidently.

Cuisinart CSO-300N1 Convection, Stainless Steel Steam & Convection Oven, 20x15

by Cuisinart

Price: $343.99 Prime FREE Delivery & FREE Returns

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Id like to know why Cuisinart

would keep that information ' secret '

are they hoping to gain something ?

afraid of loosing something ?

or just indifferent.

or none of the above 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I called Cuisinart Canada.  Cuisinart CANADA is still making them for the Canadian market.  To find out if they are still making them for the American market, you need to contact Cuisinart US.  Cuisinart Canada said they did not know what was happening there.  Not much info for 50 minutes on hold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

Advice needed.   I have been trying to get crisp sweet potato fries out of my CSO.   Sweets are cut into fries and lightly coated in oil before using conv/bake.   Have tried 350 to 450 and get very soft fries that get burnt near the tip.  Rack is in the middle.  Do I need to drop the rack to the lowest position?  I have one more sweet potato in the fridge to experiment with before going back to the wall ovens 

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

Advice needed.   I have been trying to get crisp sweet potato fries out of my CSO.   Sweets are cut into fries and lightly coated in oil before using conv/bake.   Have tried 350 to 450 and get very soft fries that get burnt near the tip.  Rack is in the middle.  Do I need to drop the rack to the lowest position?  I have one more sweet potato in the fridge to experiment with before going back to the wall ovens 

I've found that the CSO is so airtight that wet veg end up steaming whether or not its set to the steam fxn. For example I can't roast cauliflower and get it to dry out a little in the process.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I called Cuisinart Canada.  Cuisinart CANADA is still making them for the Canadian market.  To find out if they are still making them for the American market, you need to contact Cuisinart US.  Cuisinart Canada said they did not know what was happening there.  Not much info for 50 minutes on hold.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this! Good to know there's still some availability somewhere. 😀

I see that Best Buy Canada still lists them for sale for $198.99 Cdn. (Only $150 USD.) That's the newer model, a 'marketplace seller' has a refurbished older model for $149.99 Cdn. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I've found that the CSO is so airtight that wet veg end up steaming whether or not its set to the steam fxn. For example I can't roast cauliflower and get it to dry out a little in the process.

Thank you.  I wonder if keeping the door ajar might help to vent off some moisture.   I don’t mind kicking on the big oven even in Florida in the summer but was hoping to not have to with the little convection oven

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 11:10 PM, ElsieD said:

Comes in at a good price for you Americans paying in US dollars.

Doesn't seem to allow shipping to the US

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Hassouni said:

Doesn't seem to allow shipping to the US

A local friend of mine bought her CSO from Canada.  I'll try to remember to ask her the name of the dealer.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

I did broccoli in the CSO on Bake/Steam at 450F for about 15 minutes Valentine's night.  Tossed it with a little butter and lemon pepper seasoning and it was perfect.  It got a slight char on the edges like when you roast it, but not as much (which is a good thing to me - completely roasted broccoli is not my favorite).  DSCN0646.JPG.2ac12661f4bcaed871b69c3a44ff842b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

I just heated up some German Wieners on steam @ 210 for 10 minutes....perfectly moist...gave me time to toast the buns in a frying pan...with some butter.  Ball Park Mustard and red onion added to garnish😬

Edited by Okanagancook
To add garnish (log)
  • Like 3