• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

54 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

Lucky you. We urban 1-bedroom apartment dwellers can barely fit one, let alone a backup!

In my living room I call it a table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Welcome to the Dark Side. I'm seriously contemplating ordering a backup, as I seem to be one of the few club members without one (or more).

I'd wait for the new anova oven

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Am I flirting with disaster?    And overcooked fish?

Yes and yes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I tried to be polite and not answer

AnnaN stepped in and politely replied.

I can't imagine the aromas from a 1 hour very warm  fish.

but id bet  your toast in the morning might be quite

" dynamic " 

• Thanks 1

I've actually reheated fish in the CSO fairly successfully -- but even so I can't imagine grilled fish in particular would do well in that moist environment. It would probably be warm, and you could probably manage to not overcook it, but it would lose a lot of the texture you'd get from the grill in the process.

• Like 1

Thanks.    The reason I questioned this is that I always precook scallops, prawns and chunks of white fish (halibut, monk) when making a "big fish soup".    I stop cooking when they are seared but undercooked, then remove them to a covered ceramic casserole which I leave on the stovetop until serving...the fish added to the broth a couple of minutes before plating.     This has worked a charm with guests asking how the fish was so perfectly cooked.    When I noticed the CSO "warm" setting and temps a low as 125F, I thought maybe I had an alternative method.     But afraid not.  

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Actually, if you're going to put them into broth afterwards anyway, it might work just fine. I was imagining grill seared fish with skin that needed to stay crispy or something similar.

(That said -- it sounds like you have a method that works great already!)

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 2:25 PM, Hassouni said:

Lucky you. We urban 1-bedroom apartment dwellers can barely fit one, let alone a backup!

My kitchen is really small.  I barely have room for the first one.   The spare is kept in its box on one of the shelves

we store the maple for our charcuterie boards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Still available at Amazon.ca for $194.98.

Tempted.  Very sorry I didn't click when it was $99.  Somehow I had believed anova.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou