• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

• 3 weeks later...

It took forty five minutes on the phone but I reached Cuisinart support.  My CSO "Add Water" alarm has been shutting the unit off more and more often.  Other than the steam everything else works fine.  But the steam is a big other than.

The representative told me the CSO is discontinued and they cannot replace the unit but they could give me credit on their online store if I shipped mine back to them.  Sad news indeed.

• Sad 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It took forty five minutes on the phone but I reached Cuisinart support.  My CSO "Add Water" alarm has been shutting the unit off more and more often.  Other than the steam everything else works fine.  But the steam is a big other than.

The representative told me the CSO is discontinued and they cannot replace the unit but they could give me credit on their online store if I shipped mine back to them.  Sad news indeed.

I feel for you.

I was steaming my eggs on steam 210 for 22 minutes as that is how I like them.  The last two I did were only half cooked.  Raw yolks, slimy whites.  The other functions work as they should.  Is it possible that this one function out of all of them no longer works?

• Sad 1

I performed the Shelby maneuver.  One screw left over that I could not fit in because the thin sheet metal is bent.  Ran vinegar solution through the system on steam function.  Add water alarm went off.  But this time the alarm went off when the tank was out of water.  Progress.

The plan is to bake bread tonight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I performed the Shelby maneuver.  One screw left over that I could not fit in because the thin sheet metal is bent.  Ran vinegar solution through the system on steam function.  Add water alarm went off.  But this time the alarm went off when the tank was out of water.  Progress.

The plan is to bake bread tonight.

Did you find gunk?

• Like 1

I tried a new method for chicken thighs last night, which worked great... sorry, no pics.  I've been using the steam bake at 425 for about 20-25 minutes which works well, but it doesn't get the skin as crisp as I'd like.  Last night, I did steam bake for 425 for about 20 minutes on the lowest rack setting, then removed the pan, put the rack on the higher setting and put the pan back in for 5 minutes on steam-broil.  Loves me some skin crackers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Sorry no photo but wanted to add to the cooked in the CSO information bank... cooked five lobster tails in the CSO and we really liked how they came out. Cut the belly shell but left the tail meat in (for easier removal after cooking), inserted skewers so the tails wouldn’t curl, placed tails on racked tray, and steam baked for 10 minutes at 350 F. Served with melted butter and stovetop mac & cheese.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question 

i have one litre of Chili I want to reheat.  I covered the top with cheese and the container is a roundmpryex dish that just fits in the CSO.

I think Steam bake but what temp and how long?  Uncovered dish.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Question 

i have one litre of Chili I want to reheat.  I covered the top with cheese and the container is a roundmpryex dish that just fits in the CSO.

I’m sure you’re all heated up by now so no help here.  I'd reheat at 325-350F, stir and taste at 10 min intervals, then add the cheese for the last few minutes, switching to broil if you want it browned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Question 

Yes, steam/bake.  I'd start at 325 for 15 minutes and then temp.  I wouldn't go over 325, but I'd check to make sure the cheese wasn't getting overly done.

• Like 1

Caynes in Toronto is going out of business and they have the CSO on sale for $159.99.    That is the lowest price I have seen.

This is a store I use to shop at years ago when I lived in Toronto. 

https://www.cayneshousewares.com/cuisinart/combo-steam-convection-oven-39624

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Caynes in Toronto is going out of business and they have the CSO on sale for $159.99.    That is the lowest price I have seen.

This is a store I use to shop at years ago when I lived in Toronto. 

https://www.cayneshousewares.com/cuisinart/combo-steam-convection-oven-39624

Thank you! Finally in the CSO club (I foolishly missed the ultra low prices on Amazon a few weeks ago)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

Thank you! Finally in the CSO club (I foolishly missed the ultra low prices on Amazon a few weeks ago)

Welcome to the Dark Side. I'm seriously contemplating ordering a backup, as I seem to be one of the few club members without one (or more).

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Just now, kayb said:

Welcome to the Dark Side. I'm seriously contemplating ordering a backup, as I seem to be one of the few club members without one (or more).

I think if you can, you should.

• Like 2