• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

@TdeV

its $ 199 USD on Amazon now

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSO-300N1-Steam-Convection-Stainless/dp/B01JRT2WOG

you wont find it any cheaper

I advise 1 + 1 = 2   you will have a spare.

I don't work for AMZN or Cuisi

bet the price goes up when you check.

AMZN has a BOT on eG :

when someone is interested here , the price goes up there.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 4

OK, I'm now a convert... 425 steam bake chicken thighs for about 28 minutes worked great... the skin blistered and was super crisp, and the flesh was completely juicy and succulent... and it was practically no effort.  I did it on a rack over the baking tray and set the main rack on the lowest rung - but I think I'll put it up a notch next time to get a bit more color on the skin, even though the texture of it was perfect.  The only issue is that the bottom of the thighs had no color whatsoever... maybe next time I'll put it directly in the baking tray without the rack, and reduce the time a bit since it may be cooking from both sides a bit faster.

Pics to come in the dinner thread... coming soon

• Like 4

I could as easily have put this in the Dinner topic, but I might not have tried this at all without the CSO. It happens that Fine Cooking magazine (No. 160, Aug/Sept 2019) has a recipe for Herbed Artichoke Galette that caught my eye. The CSO manual and recipe book has a related recipe for Caramelized Onion and Two-Tomato Tart.

Well. I had to try them. I had to try playing with puff pastry, and I had to do it in the CSO. The result was a bit of a hybrid between the two recipes. The shallot and garlic filling was started under supersteam, with oven-roasted tomatoes added at the last minute to soften. The puff pastry had been shaped, then brushed with an egg wash. The filling was added -- along with cheese and chopped artichoke hearts -- and the lot was convection-baked for 35 minutes at 400F. 

Before:

20190920_234919.jpg

and After:

20190920_222741.jpg

(No, the finished product was not that fuzzy...Sorry for the photo quality! ...Yes, those colors are true. It wasn't burnt, but it was slightly overbrowned.)

Things I'll do differently next time: load more filling onto the gallette (it was delicious, but a bit thin) and cook the gallette / tart for a bit less time. Caveats notwithstanding, this is a dead-easy Friday night dinner. Finger food, with the cleanup done by the time dinner was ready. It's worth fine-tuning.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Here's you a quick CSO lunch or dinner.

Three corn tortillas. Take one tortilla, top with some seasoned ground beef (I season and brown a pound at a time and use it for assorted applications) and drizzle with enchilada sauce.Add a second tortilla, top with a half-cup of grated cheese, sprinkle with whatever taco seasoning you like. Third tortilla, brush with a thick coat of enchilada sauce, a sprinkle of grated cheese. Steam bake @400 for about 20 minutes. Top with shredded lettuce diced tomatoes, sour cream. I like to add Pancho's dressing (recipe here; Pancho's is a regional only-vaguely-Mexican place that I dearly love).

If you're hungry and have them on hand, add another tortilla in the middle with a healthy spread of refried beans on top.

This is a much improved version of Taco Bell's Mexican pizza. You could likely use flour tortillas, but I prefer corn ones, plus, that gluten free thing.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 9/20/2019 at 2:38 PM, ElsieD said:

I seem to be the only one who can't make toast in the CSO.  I couldn't do it in the first one and neither does it turn out in the replacement oven.

What is it that you don't like about CSO toast?  It occurs to me that you may simply not like your toast the same way that the rest of us do.  Not a fault of you or us or the CSO, but maybe just a difference in preference.

• Like 1

It isn't that I don't like CSO toast.  I've never had a piece of toast, properly toasted, from either one of the CSO's that I have/had, that is, evenly browned on both sides.  From other people's comments, I get the impression that theirs comes out just fine.  Mine does not, and I don't know why.  So, I just use my toaster.

• Sad 1

@palo

some time ago

I recommended to the

LunchLadies

in the GTA

a U-Haul for their 

trips to The Island 

that they so much enjoy\

Cant find it now for yu

but it was a bit racy and dynanimc

sooo  

U-Haul would work 

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

From other people's comments, I get the impression that theirs comes out just fine.  Mine does not, and I don't know why.  So, I just use my toaster.

Mine doesn’t toast evenly either (although it did in the beginning) it is always blotchy on the bottom side...sometimes I'll flip the bread over and re-toast for another minute or so.

However, I don’t have the space for a toaster in addition and the toast is still more than just acceptable.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lindag said:

Mine doesn’t toast evenly either (although it did in the beginning) it is always blotchy on the bottom side...sometimes I'll flip the bread over and re-toast for another minute or so.

However, I don’t have the space for a toaster in addition and the toast is still more than just acceptable.

Mine doesn't toast completely evenly either, but I'm fine with that.  I flip for people who care about that.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I bought a small chicken at the farmer's market on Saturday, slightly under 2 pounds.

IMG_8263.thumb.JPG.f14fe4bb98a6b2406ba4522dd74b2bf8.JPG

Salted and rested for 8 hours in fridge. Cooked at 425℉ steam, covered for the first 20 minutes, uncovered to finish for 15 minutes.  Quite good.

• Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

17 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I think my oven is not functioning at full capacity.

The middle top element doesn’t turn on anymore not matter what the setting 😩

It still cooks ok...I have no idea how long it’s been like that.

Anyone else have this problem?

I recall reading somewhere that the middle top element is not supposed to turn on fully.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

37 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@JoNorvelleWalker. A great big thank you,  How on earth did you find that link!  You saved me burning my finger testing to see if the middle element was dead or not.😯

It wasn't using eGullet search.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou