• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

As promised, pictures of my roast chicken that I served when my sister was here last week. It turned out that only one sister came and she left before dinner the last day, so I only ended up having to cook 2 dinners.   

DSCN0031.JPG.4428a3e9aa19b7ec28f6083927de4080.JPG

It was wonderfully juicy and tender.  Mr. Kim had to work late and had some cold and said it was still great.  Cut up:

DSCN0032.JPG.a0fdbc7103e6455b22217f46ca2ebaac.JPG

The wing tips and the ends of the legs got a little singed before I put foil on.  Trussed up, the chicken was a little tall.  The sides didn’t get as browned as the top.  Minor issues - I imagine this will be my chicken roasting method from now on (when I don't sneak off to Costco for a rotisserie chicken.  Just sayin').

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Wow, they sorta appeared out of nowhere!

The Tovala has been discussed on eGullet before -- there's a thread here: 

The Sharp is I think intended as a pizza oven -- it's low and wide. Much shorter than the CSO, which really limits its use.

The Emerson is more interesting -- I'm guessing they're just rebranding something from China, as it appears identical to the rather generic-looking "AUG" I noticed before I bought the Cuisinart. Way cheaper, though -- $229 versus $385 -- and from a brand that actually exists. Both of those are points in its favor.

(Edited to add: apologies for the giant animated gif, I can't figure out how to remove it...)

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Haha 2

Oddly, that link won't open for me. Anyone care to post the un-shortened version?

Looking up the user manual for the Emerson, It appears to be large enough inside to accommodate a 9x13 pan. So that's something.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Oddly, that link won't open for me. Anyone care to post the un-shortened version?

Looking up the user manual for the Emerson, It appears to be large enough inside to accommodate a 9x13 pan. So that's something.

The Emerson got a lot of bad reviews on Amazon.

Oh, I'm not seriously interested at present.

One day *somebody* will make one large enough for a 9x13, in decent quality, at a price point of $150 or lower. That's when I'll start to consider buying one.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

28 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Will not open for me either.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

the

F.Blumlein JU-3200 10-in-1 Steam Convection Oven

has inner dimensions of :  `15.2  x 13.5   x 9.6

a 1/4 sheet pan is :  13 x 9.5

and a 1/3d sheet pan is 15.5 x 10.5  

shame they didn't make the oven   15.7  etc

always something.

but progress is being made !

hope some one plunges in 

try this

pls report back

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon link to be eG-friendly (log)
  • Like 1

I converted the Emerson's inner dimensions from metric, but didn't write them down. It was something like 13.5" wide, 9.05" deep, and 11.8" high.

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Will not open for me either.

As rotuts notes above, the link is for the F.Blumlein JU-3200 10-in-1 Steam Convection Oven, with Air-Plus Technology, Large Capacity 1.1Cu Ft, and 32.2 Oz Large Water Tank

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 9/17/2019 at 6:50 AM, TdeV said:

My toaster has died. Will a CSO do toast?

As an item of intense personal interest, will a CSO do toasted cheese? (I grew up with these)

I've used a toaster oven for years.  The last one was a Cuisinart Convection oven. I bought it specifically

for toast.  And it did its job for 15 years.   Great toaster. 

The CSO is even better.  Thankfully it is good at everything, but even if it wasn't I would buy it just for its toast function.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2