• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

Attn. Newbies :

if you haven't already figured this out :

1 }  don't poke your nose right at the ovens door before you open it for a ' sniff '   you will burn your nose from the steam

2 }  the pan that comes w the older and even the newer ridged pan is shallow and flimsy .  keep that in mind when you take out 

a tray of CSO'd chicken thighs.  there will be a lot of very hot fat in that pan , and you want that fat to stay in the pan , not on your counter and floor.

everything known and tested out for the CSO is right here , on eG.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Mr. Kim went ahead and ordered the refurb.  He thought I'd decided on that definitely.  Sigh.  Anyway - do I unpack it and try it out and then try to put it all back in the box?  I hate to tuck it away in the attic and try it out in a year and find it doesn't work.  Jeez, this is all so stressful.  I honestly had less agita buying a $600 stove!  😉

When I ordered my back-up, that's what I did - unpack to make sure everything was there, I ran a toast cycle and a steam cycle to make sure it was working, drained the tank, let it all dry out and put it back in the box. Only took a few minutes of hands-on time. 

That made me feel better but if the whole thing is too stressful, just follow the sound advice you got from @Okanagancook and @Shelby to put it away and don't worry about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

For all the newbies to CSO cookery here is the spread sheet (in PDF format) I put together from Egulleter's experience with various foods.  (I have just listed the times and temps that people used to get a result they were happy with.)  Use it as a guide.

CSO in PDF Format.pdf

😍

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

For all the newbies to CSO cookery here is the spread sheet (in PDF format) I put together from Egulleter's experience with various foods.  (I have just listed the times and temps that people used to get a result they were happy with.)  Use it as a guide.

CSO in PDF Format.pdf 77.59 kB · 14 downloads

😍

...and just for the record, we have that spreadsheet in Excel format pinned here, at the very top of the Kitchen Consumer Forum topic listing. :) 

Edited by Smithy
spelling (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

She (or he? I haven't decided yet) is making steam as I type.

20190720_191537.jpg

I had a bad moment last night when I filled the reservoir, thinking at least to test the steam function, and left the room (without starting anything) for about an hour. When I came back, water was dribbling onto the floor from INSIDE the cabinet below the counter. Clearly, the backsplash and the countertop aren't sealed at the joint as well as they should be. I pulled the reservoir off, emptied it, spent a lot of time mopping, left the oven puzzle until morning. This morning I learned that there's a drain and plug in the back. I checked; the plug was loose. 

As a precaution I ran the steam test out atop the kitchen island, in case there's a more nefarious leak. It looks like the leak was operator error only. :)

Toast came out a bit too dark for us this morning at setting #4. That's partly a function of the bread in question, but next time I'll try a shade lighter.

• Like 6

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

the drain and plug are with V2

as I can see from the front as you have three button-bars

Vhas two bars

my V2  is still wiring fine

Ill remember to check those plugs should I ever get to V2

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Smithy said:

She (or he? I haven't decided yet) is making steam as I type.

20190720_191537.jpg

I had a bad moment last night when I filled the reservoir, thinking at least to test the steam function, and left the room (without starting anything) for about an hour. When I came back, water was dribbling onto the floor from INSIDE the cabinet below the counter. Clearly, the backsplash and the countertop aren't sealed at the joint as well as they should be. I pulled the reservoir off, emptied it, spent a lot of time mopping, left the oven puzzle until morning. This morning I learned that there's a drain and plug in the back. I checked; the plug was loose. 

As a precaution I ran the steam test out atop the kitchen island, in case there's a more nefarious leak. It looks like the leak was operator error only. :)

Toast came out a bit too dark for us this morning at setting #4. That's partly a function of the bread in question, but next time I'll try a shade lighter.

Well, at least the clock was set easily.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

We have kettle-fried potato chips (aka crisps) from last night's restaurant meal. They're still pretty crisp, but I wonder whether heating them in the CSO would improve their crispness. If it could improve them, what would y'all suggest? Steam heat or dry? How many minutes, at what temperature?

(FWIW I think they're a bit tough right now, but I always think that about kettle-fried chips. This is a test for my DH.)

20 minutes ago, Smithy said:

We have kettle-fried potato chips (aka crisps) from last night's restaurant meal. They're still pretty crisp, but I wonder whether heating them in the CSO would improve their crispness. If it could improve them, what would y'all suggest? Steam heat or dry? How many minutes, at what temperature?

(FWIW I think they're a bit tough right now, but I always think that about kettle-fried chips. This is a test for my DH.)

I’d say bake...no steam. The reason chips soften, I believe, is that the salt attracts water and crispness goes away. Baking ought to drive it off. One fly in the ointment is CSO is so steam tight that moisture in the food stays in the oven and very wet foods , eG cauliflower, will steam cook even on the ‘no steam” setting.  But chips aren’t that wet

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, gfweb said:

eG cauliflower, will steam cook even on the ‘no steam” setting.  But chips aren’t that wet

Cauliflower is vile, eG, CSO, or not.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I got impatient (it's been a long day) and tried 350F for 4 minutes, no steam. I think the chips were probably already done before the CSO reached temperature. Whether that's true or not, they were charcoal somewhere at the 2 minute mark. I think the CSO had plenty of residual steam from the earlier test. I don't think it mattered.

This is not diagnostic of the CSO, I hasten to add: I have never tried to improve kettle chips - which, in my opinion, need a lot of improving - by any after-the-fact means.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, gfweb said:

An unusual lacuna in your otherwise impeccable taste 

Hope I at least conveyed the import of your eG reference.  Though my dislike of cauliflower still stands.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I don't find my current CSO makes good toast, but I did try toast in my back-up.  I started at #4, and I had to pull it before time was up as it was burning.  Ended up toasting at #1, which was plenty dark.

Tonight I steam asparagus and butter in the CSO while my darling cooked brats* on the grill. It all looked lovely, and as though it would be ready for dinner at the same time.

Then I remembered the toast.

My darling wants toast with almost any dinner. After 21 years of marriage, I still have trouble remembering that fact.  In any case, our "toaster" was preoccupied with cooking our vegetables. I do not think it will get better with time; I think we'll get a better toaster before too long

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Tonight I steam asparagus and butter in the CSO while my darling cooked brats* on the grill. It all looked lovely, and as though it would be ready for dinner at the same time.

Then I remembered the toast.

My darling wants toast with almost any dinner. After 21 years of marriage, I still have trouble remembering that fact.  In any case, our "toaster" was preoccupied with cooking our vegetables. I do not think it will get better with time; I think we'll get a better toaster before too long

I find him wanting toast with every dinner so endearing.  It seems like something Winnie the Pooh would want: "Toast and honey with dinner, please".  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

@Smithy

"I think we'll get a better toaster before too long "

ideal reason for a second working CSO

if you have the Amps in the kitchen.

space on the counter :  get rid of something not so useful

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@rotuts I'm pretty sure you were only half joking there...but no, we have no such spare counter space. Finding a place for the toaster will be a stretch.