• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

Holy cow, this thing's bigger than I expected. I arrived home last night to see a gargantuan shipping box by the back door Maybe there was a lot of packing material inside? This morning I had time to open the box. It revealed...another box, tightly nestled inside the first as though a hand in a glove. Eventually I got the inner box out of the outer, and opened it. The oven was well-packed and protected by a frame of cardboard and foam. Still. It's big.

I had intended it to go in this corner, between the regular stove and the sink:

20190719_103011.jpg

The idea all along has been that if I like the CSO it will replace both the toaster and the air fryer. As it turns out, the CSO is much deeper than either of those appliances.  Check out the new footprint:

20190719_103142.jpg

I suppose there's almost as much spare counter space as before, but it looks less. On the other hand, today's visitor noticed it right away, thought it looked great and did not think it was too big for the space. I'm getting used to it. I doubt I'll be able to do much more than set the clock today

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Good luck getting the clock set while it's still today.     (Just joking...)  

It IS big.   Whenever we plan a new purchase for a given space, DH makes a 3 dimensional mock-up of it so we can arrange space and get used to the intrusion.    I lived with a cardboard stove for several weeks before we bought, also the hood.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

eGullet member #80.

27 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@Smithyyou may have to pull it out from under your upper cabinets when you use it, especially on steam.

Thanks. I figured, based on earlier reading, that it needed to come out from under the counters for steam operation. Do you think that will also be true for convection cooking or toasting? Also, I wonder whether it gets so hot underneath that I'll need to protect the countertop. The manual suggests that.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

27 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Good luck getting the clock set while it's still today.     (Just joking...)  

It IS big.   Whenever we plan a new purchase for a given space, DH makes a 3 dimensional mock-up of it so we can arrange space and get used to the intrusion.    I lived with a cardboard stove for several weeks before we bought, also the hood.  

Got the clock set without referring to the manual, so of course I'm all cocky now. :D

When we were planning our kitchen remodeling we intended either an island or a peninsula in the kitchen. Since all we had was roller carts, we pulled those out to mimic the island, and during the peninsula stage set up a card table to block the opening between roller carts and the wall cabinets. It didn't take long (for me, anyway) to realize that the kitchen peninsula would be a death sentence for our marriage. Mockups are good.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Thanks. I figured, based on earlier reading, that it needed to come out from under the counters for steam operation. Do you think that will also be true for convection cooking or toasting? Also, I wonder whether it gets so hot underneath that I'll need to protect the countertop. The manual suggests that.

To my eye, it looks like you have enough clearance for non-steam applications.   I have granite countertops and have never put anything under the unit.  I move it to clean underneath and there's no evidence of any damage that I can see or feel.  I was able to put mine at the end of a countertop so the steam vents aren't directly under the upper cabinets but that doesn't look possible in your location. 

Edited to add photo:

IMG_0139.thumb.jpg.66756664bf1b66ab42ee510eb934d7b7.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I would definitely check the temp of your upper cabinets when you use the oven...toasting will likely be ok but on convection or broiling it may get hot....I see some pot lights also.  I have not considered countertop protection.   Mine is on arborite counter tops in the pantry and it has not done any damage...so far...now I think I will get some protection.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

toasting will likely be ok

I don’t know. Mine seems to produce a fair amount of steam on toast. Suspect that’s what keeps the toast from drying out. I could be wrong. It’s happened before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have granite countertops and have never had a problem.  Also, my cabinets hang over mine about like @blue_dolphin's do and I've never had problem with over heating them.  I do scoot it out when I use the steam.  @Smithy your cabinets look like you have more clearance.

My Breville sits under a counter and I've never had a problem either with the cupboard above or the granite it sits on.  The CSO sits on a cart away from cupboards and so there is nothing above it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Bet you make some toast 🙃

3 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Or maybe some cheese nachos 🙃

Actually, I had my eye on some leftover tater-tot-type thingies that were soggy. I planned to try crisping them up in this oven. That is, I planned to do that until I saw my darling had microwaved them for his lunch!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

A couple of thoughts, not that anyone asked...

Here, my CSO sits under stainless steel shelves, so not a problem there. Never have had to put anything under it, and it's on a well-oiled wooden counter top.

1890275030_2018_01_2205352.thumb.JPG.84b1b60d03eda4f7134fac8970050041.JPG

But it can get warm above it; I mean, it doesn't seem to be too big a deal to pull it out from directly under the cabinets when it's gonna be on for an hour or more, and any time you're using steam...those cabinets look like wood, and wood and steam and glue don't all get along well together.

I'm also pretty sure that the one thing invading the most space is the paper towel holder!

• Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Mr. Kim went ahead and ordered the refurb.  He thought I'd decided on that definitely.  Sigh.  Anyway - do I unpack it and try it out and then try to put it all back in the box?  I hate to tuck it away in the attic and try it out in a year and find it doesn't work.  Jeez, this is all so stressful.  I honestly had less agita buying a $600 stove!  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2