• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

I don't know if I have space to store the backup model...

Put it in your standard oven. Probably won’t use it much with a CSO on the counter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

What I really don't love is the so-simple-it's-complicated single control button.   

Ugh.

Yeah, my new Panasonic microwave has one of those for setting time. I've gotten used to it, but use the "quick minute" button a lot instead. A classic example of design over function, to my mind.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

50 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

My standard oven is my stash for grill pans and frying pans that I don't feel like washing late at night.    Very occasionally i get a surprise when I preheat the oven without looking inside.   

You sure as heck wouldn't want to pre-heat a regular oven forgetting the CSO is stashed inside.

• Haha 1

So, is the consensus that the CSO is going to be discontinued?  If so, Mr. Kim says we should buy another one.  Do y'all really think it is ok to buy refurbished?

@KennethT - where are you finding a refurbished one for $125?

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

35 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

So, is the consensus that the CSO is going to be discontinued?  If so, Mr. Kim says we should buy another one.  Do y'all really think it is ok to buy refurbished?

@KennethT - where are you finding a refurbished one for $125?

The CSO is being discontinued any time now because Cuisinart knows the Anova Precision Oven is about to be released.  Any time now.

Listen to your husband.  But I'd buy new for $199.  That three year warrantee got me a free replacement.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

21 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I just realized that I haven't ever decalcified (???) mine.  I remember @Shelby explained the whole process awhile back and I meant to do it then and it just didn't happen.  

I decalcified my first CSO once to go through the exercise.  If you fill the tank only with decalcified water there is no need.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/136349-do-brita-type-filters-work/?do=findComment&comment=2162319

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I bought the refurbished CSO for $125 and a 4-year insurance / replacement plan by Asurion for another $29.99. Asurion has been good in my experience, at least with phones. I think I'm money ahead this way.

That said, if I decide after I've played with this for a while and that I really, truly, MUST have a backup...well, maybe I'd go new. I dunno. Either way the warranty clock starts at purchase, and if it's sitting around as a backup the warranty time is dwindling away.

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, KennethT said:

Yep... Yikes, only 4 left.. A few days ago there were 12!

I promise I only bought one of them!

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

The refurbished carry a 90 day guarantee.  The new ones gave a 3 year guarantee.  Just something to keep in mind.

Big difference for sure - maybe that 3 year guarantee, on a brand new product, is why Cuisinart decided it wasn't worth the hassle to keep producing the oven. If you're getting product back after 2.5 years, I'm guessing your profits are going up in smoke. Or, in this case, steam.

I'm still taking my chances on the refurb, based on stuff said here previously about refurbs and the testing/renewing process, as well as a longer guarantee (2x the standard) from my credit card company.

The refurb/new unit I have really toasts (on 2) much more than my old unit; this will take some getting used to.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 hours ago, KennethT said:

Yep... Yikes, only 4 left.. A few days ago there were 12!

Only one "renewed" oven left, after my order this morning! You are all a bunch of terrible enablers :D

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

I bought the refurbished CSO for $125 and a 4-year insurance / replacement plan by Asurion for another $29.99. Asurion has been good in my experience, at least with phones. I think I'm money ahead this way.

I did the same -- realistically, I think it's just going to get me my $125 back if it breaks, but I'm hopeful that if it lasts past 90 days it'll keep going for a while. And if it conks out, I think there may be other options that will work.

There seem to be a lot of additional steam oven options coming onto the market -- just in the suggested items on the Amazon page I see this AEG, the smarty-pants Tovala (now in Gen2), and a few others. Sharp has been making countertop steam ovens for years; sadly the one they've brought us is the SSC0586DS, which seems like it's a great option if you never cook anything more than 2" tall. Hopefully they'll bring us one of the larger models they sell in Japan.

• Like 3

OK, I think I'm just going to get the new one, since I won't be moving to the new apartment for several months, and certainly have no space to use it in the present apartment... so if I bought the refurb now, its warranty would expire before I had a chance to use it (or at least use it more than once or twice...)

• Like 2

In that case, why not just wait until you move so it's out of the way, you won't have to move it, etc. etc.

I'm sure there are plenty of new, unsold units floating around on various web sites.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I wonder whatever happened to this?

An Oven With Steam - in 1987!!

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/08/26/garden/an-oven-with-steam.html

Where's @andiesenji - she probably has like 4 of them!!!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Haha 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

It would be interesting to know how many of us have had their unit replaced within the warranty period.  Mine was replaced after 11 months.  A person I know who owns a retail kitchen store told me the return rate on CSOs was 20%.  Didn't stop me from buying a back-up, mind you.  By the way, if your CSO is replaced within the warranty period, the original warranty applies.  In my case, the warranty on the second unit is 3 years less the 11 months I used the original one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

It would be interesting to know how many of us have had their unit replaced within the warranty period.  Mine was replaced after 11 months.  A person I know who owns a retail kitchen store told me the return rate on CSOs was 20%.  Didn't stop me from buying a back-up, mind you.  By the way, if your CSO is replaced within the warranty period, the original warranty applies.  In my case, the warranty on the second unit is 3 years less the 11 months I used the original one.

My first one is about 4 years old and still going strong. It is my most used kitchen appliance and I use it multiple times every day. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

I wonder whatever happened to this?

An Oven With Steam - in 1987!!

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/08/26/garden/an-oven-with-steam.html

I'm guessing no one ran to B. Altman to buy it based on that!

A little searching suggests Tefal had steam toaster ovens until somewhat recently -- I found references to one called the "CROUSTY VAP" whose manual had a copyright date of 2005.