• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

8 hours ago, chromedome said:

As a rule they're at least as reliable as new, and in some cases have been through additional testing processes/troubleshooting. Also, sometimes a "known-defective/problematic" part automatically gets replaced on refurbs, even if it hasn't failed yet. 

This is definitely Apple's philosophy.

And many times the stuff had never even been used in the first place.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

This is definitely Apple's philosophy.

And many times the stuff had never even been used in the first place.

Yes, often they're store returns and are simply "new out of the box" as opposed to "new in the box."

It is a peculiarity I often remarked upon as a retailer that everyone wants their store to have a liberal return policy, but nobody wants a product that has ever been out of its box. On one occasion I had a gentleman - old country German - ask to see a specific radio that was on sale. He took it out of the box, opened up everything, even took the earpiece out of the battery compartment, and then announced he'd take it. When I started to pack up the one I'd just brought out for inspection, he stopped me cold and said he'd like a new one.

He truly did not understand why I was upset*, and was having none of my insistence that this *was* a sealed unit before he put his hands on it. It had been opened, and he wanted one that hadn't been. Simple.

(* To clarify, this was relatively early in my retail career. By the time a few more years had passed this kind of thing was old hat to me...and I'd also become a past master of re-packing products so they were indistinguishable from new.)

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

At my local flea market there are two vendors who sell returned merchandise.    One described to me that he spends hours each week scouring auction sites for his merchandise.    Retailers are so liberal now with returns that they are flooded with goods that are totally fine, unused, changed mind, color looks different in person, gifts, realized can't afford, etc.    The cost of restocking this merchandise plus the effect of time lapse on style or current assortment makes it more profitable to just sell out the back door through online auction outfits who sell to flea market vendors etc.    

I have picked up our Breville toaster ($25), a 4" memory foam mattress topper ($15), Patagonia slimline down jacket ($25),  Queen size silk filled comforter ($25), Twin down blanket ($15).    These products were "new, replaced in box", while many were not ever opened.    Outside tag reads "customer changed mind".   

We live in a very spoiled society.    

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 7

eGullet member #80.

6 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I have picked up our Breville toaster ($25), a 4" memory foam mattress topper ($15), Patagonia slimline down jacket ($25),  Queen size silk filled comforter ($25), Twin down blanket ($15).    These products were "new, replaced in box", while many were not ever opened.    Outside tag reads "customer changed mind".   

But evidently, not a Cuisinart Steam Oven! (yet)

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 minutes ago, weinoo said:

But evidently, not a Cuisinart Steam Oven! (yet)

You think I didn't watch for one??!!!

Cuisinart oven, without steam function, almost every week.   So where are all these returns that prompted the discontinuation?

eGullet member #80.

They probably really didn't work that well, or people had no idea how to use them properly. Water and returns don't necessarily go that well together, especially if Cuisinart itself was getting the returns.

In any event, it was probably not making them enough money to continue the line. But it was cutting edge, at that price point, for the home cook.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

When the supply of refurbs runs out, I expect they'll offer equivalent credit on other products. Not much else they *can* do.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, palo said:

Hmm...

Cuisinart CA has them available to buy.

CSO-300BPCC-1PKC $329.99

p

I see it comes with a square baking pan and a 9" loaf pan.  I wonder if it is a new model?

@gfweb

Yes Dear we do.

[[[   please pick , based on your own personal situation : ]]]

"  This box is just in case something happens to the box .... ""

1 ] " in the attic "

2 ] " in the garage "

3 ] ' with Aunt Matilda , even though she does not know she has the box '

4 ]  ' Henry will eventually , in his old age , enjoy ripping up the box. '

etc

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I thought we were the only people who collected spares of things.     It really is a safeguard.    Things that you have duplicates or triplicates of never break down.   

Nope, you're not alone.

You should see my basement.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Margaret Pilgrim

Things that you have duplicates or triplicates of never break down.    "

well said.  

quadruplicate's   

O.o

Only if off-site.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Ooh, lookie here...

363613155_CSOIMG_7002.thumb.JPG.fb5095aa7c6e5134501f6f6b39f19a08.JPG

If that's a refurb, I don't think it was ever used by anyone who previously owned it...

634172958_CSOIMG_7003.thumb.JPG.709f784f21e390aa51f8352200f08320.JPG

It says refurbished right on the manual!

366669345_CSOIMG_7004.thumb.JPG.10f8e9c23bdd281f37968bd571892334.JPG

Now here's the real difference. She makes steam, instead of spitting out droplets of hot water!

My first love, my old Steam Girl, now sleeps with the fishes.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Now here's the real difference. She makes steam, instead of spitting out droplets of hot water!

My old CSO still makes good steam so when I started using my new, back-up unit, the main difference I noticed (aside from the  cleaning button, that I knew about) was the pre-heat on the convection-bake function.  The old CSO starts counting down the time right away while the new one preheats then beeps before starting the time.  I burnt a couple of things before I figured that out 🙃

• Like 4

OK, so I've decided that I will definitely be getting  a CSO... now the question is, should I get a refurbished older model (300N - $125) or a brand spanking new one (300N1 - $199)?  The refurb is quite a bit cheaper, but I don't know if the new one has improvements made that make it worthwhile.  I see above that @weinoo just got a refurb that looks really good....  and I'm sure @rotuts will make teh case for getting both, but right now, I don't know if I have space to store the backup model...

• Like 3

I did get the larger (ever so slightly) new broiler pan that's ridged. Strangely, the size of the broiler pan rack is the same as the old one!

And the two buttons including steam clean, which was I think basically release 2. I don't know yet about the pre-heating function.

Tasty Travails - My Blog