• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

@KennethT

get it anyway @  199 USD

no matter on the counter space

you will feet rid of lesser items and

understand :

Combi - baking 

best toast ever 

etc.

all the info is here

and its a very long thread 

for good reason.

• Like 3

Who started this damn thread?! (oh, right...)

Anyway, my original CSO-300 hasn't been the same as when she first arrived 5 1/2 years ago...

post-6902-0-13286700-1388762517_thumb.jpg

for a couple of years now. Just a little cranky, that's all.

So I just ordered that refurb from Amazon for $125.  I've had good luck with buying refurbs (though other products, mostly Apple) in the past, and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this one gives me a few good years.

It will be a sad day, because as soon as the new one arrives, my old steam girl will be sent downstairs to the dustbin, as there just isn't room for another lady in the house.

post-6902-0-75983400-1388762535_thumb.jpg

You'll always be my favorite, though.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@weinoo

a bit sad for Your Girl 

:/

consider keeping all the ' removables "

drip pan , grates , crumb master

ie anything you can rip out of it

and use those 

sparkling clean in the new

CSO

why ?

well why not ?

you now have Pristine Spares !

• Like 2

I can see I'll have to reread this entire darned topic (and its predecessors) and, if the refurbished unit I bought seems to live up to its promise, but a backup as a spare. Good grief!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@weinoo

It'll be nice to have a water reservoir that's not all green with algae - at least for a little while!

keep the old reservoir

take the cap off

and keep it of course

then get a wonderful brush

and deal w the algrea in the old water container 

or get a bit of beach , full strength 

w some hot water

put that in the old reservoir

and while hot

put your palm over the top

and Shake , Shake , Shake.

the drain , and let the rest of the bleach in container

evaporate.

you might rise the container after its dry

but use that

cover your water container w a towel

tea or not

so no sunlight  

gets in the old container 

no more algae.

seee ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo

It'll be nice to have a water reservoir that's not all green with algae - at least for a little while!

keep the old reservoir

take the cap off

and keep it of course

then get a wonderful brush

and deal w the algrea in the old water container 

or get a bit of beach , full strength 

w some hot water

put that in the old reservoir

and while hot

put your palm over the top

and Shake , Shake , Shake.

the drain , and let the rest of the bleach in container

evaporate.

you might rise the container after its dry

but use that

cover your water container w a towel

tea or not

so no sunlight  

gets in the old container 

no more algae.

seee ?

As I recall I used a bit of bleach for the algae problem.  Or you could think of it as umami.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

You know, going onto the Cuisinart web site itself, it appears as if all models of the CSO have been discontinued by the manufacturer.

Anyone have any more info about this?

Cuisinart Canada still lists it - https://www.cuisinart.ca/CSO-300N1C.html?lang=en#lang=en&start=1

6 hours ago, StumptownGeek said:

Unfortunately I see it in their discontinued section:

https://www.cuisinart.com/discontinued/toaster_ovens/CSO-300N1/

Glad I got my second CSO a few months ago...

On that very page - if you scroll down it shows another steam oven - not discontinued. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

On that very page - if you scroll down it shows another steam oven - not discontinued. 

When I scroll down and click on the one below, it just takes me back to a link that says Discontinued, there's no link to buy unlike other appliances, so it doesn't seem encouraging. 

However, even if it's not discontinued I am happy to buy another for approx $150 Cdn, that's a great deal. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

When I scroll down and click on the one below, it just takes me back to a link that says Discontinued, there's no link to buy unlike other appliances, so it doesn't seem encouraging. 

However, even if it's not discontinued I am happy to buy another for approx $150 Cdn, that's a great deal. 

Ah yes - when you click on it - it takes you back to the first one!  Duh. 

I think I have enough of them - one at home, one at work, one up north here...

• Like 2

I wish you lot wouldn't keep talking about having backups. I've only just decided to make space for one and give it a try.

• Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Today's angst reminds me of a talk I had with our pre-teen son.    His class was one that was characterized as "bad acting" by school honchos.    There was something rather brilliant but wrong going down on any single day.    I advised him,  since you have a modicum of self-control, you will most often consider whatever prank is going down before joining in.  In that short time span, the heads will have been alerted.   By the time you decide to join in, the perps will have vanished into the woodwork and you will be standing there.   Alone.

So, I am so late to the CSO party that mine is still close to virgin and I'm wondering if I should join the line for seconds or offer mine up to one of you!    

• Haha 3

eGullet member #80.

25 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I wonder if I need an off-site backup?

I hear you.   Since we have a weekend hovel, any time we find a convenience we really love, we consider an "off site" model.    And then, if by chance we fall on an opportunistic purchase, flea market or garage sale, we then wring hands on whether we shouldn't pick up one "just in case" ....   It's a sickness.   Seek vaccinations.

• Haha 3

eGullet member #80.

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

So I just ordered that refurb from Amazon for $125.  I've had good luck with buying refurbs (though other products, mostly Apple) in the past, and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this one gives me a few good years.

FWIW, as a longtime retailer, I buy refurbs whenever possible. As a rule they're at least as reliable as new, and in some cases have been through additional testing processes/troubleshooting. Also, sometimes a "known-defective/problematic" part automatically gets replaced on refurbs, even if it hasn't failed yet. My current KA and the last one (currently still living with and working well for my ex-wife), and all but one of the computers in my house, were bought refurbished. So were my tablet and one of my two e-readers (the other was a gift).

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I vote for toast in the CSO also.  Here at eG, we've been bitching about toasters for many years.  I don't think I've ever had a really good one.  But I do like the toast that my CSO makes.  I like toast that is super toasted on the outside and still a little soft inside.  YYMV.

I've discovered the joys of leftover rice and pasta on Super Steam.  I've never been satisfied with the microwave for either one.  Happy now.

• Like 2