• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

proba bly no very good reason.

not even general principles.

I also have never bought a used car.

my last Highlander lasted 16 years , and I gave it away to a mechanic that would fix it up on his own time

for a family member.

so , more of an oddity.    I do buy used books , in very good condition

so I can't say its because I don't know ' where ' its been.

if you go back on this thread , the vast majority of CSO owner love the toast.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I've had quite a few toasters over the years.  There was one that might have made better toast than the CSO but most of the rest were on par or less desirable.  I got rid of my toaster when I got the CSO.  It was a space, not functional decision but I have no regrets.  I often toast slices of baguette, ciabatta or other non-standard breads that can be awkward in a regular toaster so the CSO is a win there and I love being able to pop the toast back into the warm oven to melt butter or cheese or broil any of the "stuff-on-toast" items that I often make.

There is a bit of a learning curve to get it to suit your liking.  I'm currently using my new "back-up" CSO and it runs a bit hotter than my older one but I've adjusted to it.  

If I remember correctly, my newer one was a "used" Amazon warehouse purchase.  Not refurb.  The box had been opened, the baking "tray" was replaced with one that is not the standard type but quite functional.  Aside from the fact that everything was rattling around inside the oven instead of being securely packed it seemed to be pristine and unused. 

• Like 1

Add me as one who's pro-toast in the CSO. It refreshes semi-stale bread wonderfully. I use the CSO so much it's really cut into my oven use. I love it for baking bread; it'll hold two of my 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pans. I would contemplate an air fryer, but with the convection bake function of the CSO, I really see little need for one, plus I'd have to find a place to put it.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 minutes ago, weinoo said:

You know, going onto the Cuisinart web site itself, it appears as if all models of the CSO have been discontinued by the manufacturer.

Anyone have any more info about this?

On the Canadian site, the CSO is still listed although at a reduced price.  I was told by someone in the business that the oven had a 20% return rate, and that would include mine.  A bit off-topic but what is no longer listed on .ca is the ice cream maker, model ICE 100.  I went into a kitchen  store on the weekend to ask about it and they said it had been discontinued but it still shows up on the Cuisinart.com site.  I was told that it too had a very high return rate.  

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

You know, going onto the Cuisinart web site itself, it appears as if all models of the CSO have been discontinued by the manufacturer.

Anyone have any more info about this?

Unfortunately I see it in their discontinued section:

https://www.cuisinart.com/discontinued/toaster_ovens/CSO-300N1/

Glad I got my second CSO a few months ago...

On 3/13/2019 at 9:57 AM, ElsieD said:

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/toaster_ovens/cso-300n1

That is what is showing on the web site.  I called them and the person I spoke to, well, she did not fill me with confidence.  She did say the 300 was discontinued and replaced with the 300N1 (which I have), but, well, you ever talk to someone and they aren't really hearing what you are saying?  She also said they are not discontinued.  

Back in March I got scared that the Cuisinart was going to be discontinued so Elsie called them (I'm quoting her post about it)  I don't think we ever got a definitive answer.

• Sad 1

I just ordered a refurbished 300N.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Back in March I got scared that the Cuisinart was going to be discontinued so Elsie called them (I'm quoting her post about it)  I don't think we ever got a definitive answer.

That's because I never got a definitive answer.  Sure do love that little oven.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Just ordered a back-up.

Just wondering if you ordered through Amazon or somewhere else? I can't imagine a better price than the Amazon Canada one, but I'd be interested to know!  🤣

Edited by FauxPas (log)

8 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Just wondering if you ordered through Amazon or somewhere else? I can't imagine a better price than the Amazon Canada one, but I'd be interested to know!  🤣

Amazon.  They'll probably sell out by the time eGulleteers have finished ordering their quadruple back-ups.  (I'm looking at you, @Shelby !)

• Haha 4

3 is a fine number

4 not so much

keeping my fingers crossed that they keep making them

my COS # 1 is going fine

got it very shortly after this thread started.

WilliiamSonoma , $ 179   free shipping and 

no tax 

:P

• Like 1

The website has said discontinued for ages.  I think they are just confused by their own model numbers.

Anyhow, I have my spare.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Ha, ha.

I just enabled a friend to get her second little oven.🤗

And emailed another friend who has been thinking of getting one.

my spare is downstairs in his birthday box.😎

Edited to add...apparently first friend above has forwarded my email to her kids! 😬

Edited by Okanagancook
additional information (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Now I'm nervous... I currently live in an apt. with a gas range and practically no counters space, so I've put off buying one of these, no matter how good you all make it look.  My wife and I are considering moving to a new apt. with, gasp, no gas!  The kitchen currently has an old electric coil top range, which I loath, and will get rid of post haste if we move.  Since we only cook for the two of us, and really only use the full size of our current oven for keeping delivered pizza warm while we eat it slice by slice, I've been thinking of just getting a CSO and a couple induction burners...

What will I do now?  I'm thinking of getting a CSO, but I'm not even sure we're going to get this apartment.... arrgghhhh....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1