• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

34 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I only empty it when going away for an extended period. Otherwise I just leave it. My biggest problem is I forget to empty and clean the drip tray underneath and it gets quite disgusting.   I have even put a sign on the handle of the door of the oven saying empty drip tray. It doesn’t do any good and I am the only one who uses it.

I was visiting my brother and opened that little innocent drip drawer and just about tossed my cookies🤕

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

My water is always filled, but I use mine several times a week at least and I don't get vacations lol.

I'm with @Shelby.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

yes

the dip drawer can be quite the surprise when one forgets about it.

You could always leave it out.

7 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You could always leave it out.

And the surprise of having water all over the counter and perhaps the floor would be less distressing than finding science experiments inside it? Just wondering.

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

And the surprise of having water all over the counter and perhaps the floor would be less distressing than finding science experiments inside it? Just wondering.

It was just a thought.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It was just a thought.

And I appreciate that but if I can’t remember to take it out and clean it what makes you think I’d remember to put it back in when it’s needed?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

21 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I do believe so: 

Thank you.  I don't know how I missed that.  I must have been  too excited about @Anna N 's post beneath it about the dried fruit.  Which I have used twice now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you.  I don't know how I missed that.  I must have been  too excited about @Anna N 's post beneath it about the dried fruit.  Which I have used twice now.

I'm glad it was helpful.  I wasn't sure if you were just joking in order to take the convo full circle!  

I'm looking forward to trying this for both tomatoes and stone fruit.  I've used the CSO to roast stone fruit and can confirm that the pressure differential that builds up certainly does lift the skins whether that is your goal or not!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon offers "renewed" CSO 300N's for $125. I seem to recall @rotuts mentioning that upthread. If I were to pull the trigger on one of these, I'd have to get rid of the air fryer AND the toaster. That leads to the question: how good is the CSO for simple toast? Most toaster ovens don't do as well as a regular toaster. Is this an exception?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy

"That leads to the question: how good is the CSO for simple toast? Most toaster ovens don't do as well as a regular toaster. Is this an exception? "

way back when , in a time long ago

I got my first CSO simply for the toast.  best toast ever , esp if good grain and fresh :

the oven is sealed , unlike ordinary TO's , so you get perfect toast a a moist center.

I attribute this " find " detail to 

@weinoo

very early in the CSO thread.  worth every penny if just for toast.

buy a new one.  look for 199 USD

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Steam-Convection-Stainless-Steel/dp/B01JRT2WOG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=MVE5AFC3DOXZ&keywords=cuisinart+steam+oven&qid=1563204674&s=gateway&sprefix=cujisinart+srteam+oven%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-3

you will not regret it.  you wont need that older toaster.

can't say on the air fryer.

• Like 1

2 for, 1 against (so far). Thanks, folks. Anyone else?

@rotuts: why the new one? General principles, or a specific issue? I can get a 4-year Asurion protection plan for $30 and still come out money ahead on the refurbished.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown