• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

7 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

So, it is well within the warranty.  Just a PITA to have to package it up and return it.  Bad luck. 😪

It  just happened once but I am under no illusions that it won't get worse.  The same thing happened to my Breville Smart Oven but it was well past warranty and I had had it for a number of years so I didn't feel too bad when it quit.   So, I am familiar with fans quitting.  I bought it from Amazon so I will write to them to see what they have to say.  It could be tricky sending it back in the box it came in - it has been converted into a house for our cat Zeus thus has a "door" cut out of the side.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Indeed!  Rushed it back under warrantee.  Cuisinart sent me a coffee maker.*  Your fan is gone.  That'll teach you not to have a spare.

*eventually it all got sorted out.

I knew I could count on you to cheer me up.🙂

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Amazon got back to me and directed me to Cuisinart.  @JoNorvelleWalker  is that what you had to do?  If yes, how hard/easy did they make it to return the thing?.

I called Cuisinart.  A nice person took all my information.  A week or so later the coffee maker arrived.  I called Cuisinart.  A nice person took all my information.  A week or so later the CSO arrived.  It cost me about $25 to ship back the broken CSO.*  (It only had to go about eight miles.)

*Cuisinart paid to send the coffee maker back.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I just drove mine in to the depot and left with a replacement when they couldn’t fix

Is that in Woodbridge?  If it is, is it far off the 407?  We are going to Burlington next weekend.

44 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I called Cuisinart.  A nice person took all my information.  A week or so later the coffee maker arrived.  I called Cuisinart.  A nice person took all my information.  A week or so later the CSO arrived.  It cost me about $25 to ship back the broken CSO.*  (It only had to go about eight miles.)

*Cuisinart paid to send the coffee maker back.

Dumb question.  I assume you shipped the CSO back in the box the new one came in?

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Dumb question.  I assume you shipped the CSO back in the box the new one came in?

Correct.  No question is a dumb question.

• Like 1

Vaughan as I recall - but the address is indeed Woodbridge.

Walk-In Service Center 

Open Monday - Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. EST 
Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST 

100 Conair Parkway 
Woodbridge, ON L4H 0L2 

Take your receipt.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Vaughan as I recall - but the address is indeed Woodbridge.

Walk-In Service Center 

Open Monday - Thursday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. EST 
Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST 

100 Conair Parkway 
Woodbridge, ON L4H 0L2 

Take your receipt.

Looks like it's about 5 km. off the 407.  I just wrote to them so we'll see what they say.  It doesn't make that noise all the time but I fear it is the beginning of the end for the little guy.

I wrote to them Sunday and got an automated message back essentially saying I was in the queue and someone would get back to me.  No one did, or maybe is is a veeeeerrrrrrrry long queue, so I called them today.  I was told to being it and my receipt to the service centre and they will exchange it.  @Kerry Beal did they give you any grief?  What I am concerned about us that it doesn't make that grinding noise all the time and if they turn it on and don't hear it, they may not exchange it.

Just now, ElsieD said:

I wrote to them Sunday and got an automated message back essentially saying I was in the queue and someone would get back to me.  No one did, or maybe is is a veeeeerrrrrrrry long queue, so I called them today.  I was told to being it and my receipt to the service centre and they will exchange it.  @Kerry Beal did they give you any grief?  What I am concerned about us that it doesn't make that grinding noise all the time and if they turn it on and don't hear it, they may not exchange it.

My fan had given up the ghost - they gave me no grief at all. The only grief I heard them give anyone was when they didn't have a receipt. I suspect you tell them that it's making the noise on and off (and perhaps tell them you can't feel the fan when it does) they will likely exchange it without an issue.

• Thanks 1

We stopped at the Cuisinart Walk - In Service Centre and they exchanged my CSO and gave me a brand new one.   So, I am a happy camper.

Edited to add: I had written to them last Sunday and they replied to my email today asking for proof of purchase.  Kinda slow.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We stopped at the Cuisinart Walk - In Service Centre and they exchanged my CSO and gave me a brand new one.   So, I am a happy camper.

Edited to add: I had written to them last Sunday and they replied to my email today asking for proof of purchase.  Kinda slow.

Cuisinart never asked me for a receipt or proof of purchase.

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Some folks are just more special than others.😆

I think the logic is that the serial number tells Cuisinart when the unit was made, and you were unlikely to have purchased the CSO before it was manufactured.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Well done 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

File this under “duh”

but it I just figured out that CSO is a whiz at deskinning tomatoes. 9 min 400f with steam and those cuties shed their skins quicker than a fan dancer at the Troc. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

File this under “duh”

but it I just figured out that CSO is a whiz at deskinning tomatoes. 9 min 400f with steam and those cuties she’d their skins quicker than a fan dancer at the Troc. 

And it has probably been mentioned before but it perfectly rehydrates (plumps up) dried fruit.  I used 10 minutes at 210°F steam function.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 6:36 AM, Anna N said:

And it has probably been mentioned before but it perfectly rehydrates (plumps up) dried fruit.  I used 10 minutes at 210°F steam function.  

Thanks for this.  Today  I made date muffins for my MIL who likes one whole date in the middle of her muffins.  I did as you suggested and had nice moist plumped up dates for the muffins.

• Like 2

Question: do you empty the water reservoir after each use or several uses or just leave it.     I started emptying it when leaving town for a week, then never got in the habit of refilling it.   Therefore it requires a little TPP to use it on steam.

eGullet member #80.

45 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Question: do you empty the water reservoir after each use or several uses or just leave it.     I started emptying it when leaving town for a week, then never got in the habit of refilling it.   Therefore it requires a little TPP to use it on steam.

I only empty it when going away for an extended period. Otherwise I just leave it. My biggest problem is I forget to empty and clean the drip tray underneath and it gets quite disgusting.   I have even put a sign on the handle of the door of the oven saying empty drip tray. It doesn’t do any good and I am the only one who uses it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog