• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

On 3/13/2019 at 7:57 AM, ElsieD said:

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/toaster_ovens/cso-300n1

That is what is showing on the web site.  I called them and the person I spoke to, well, she did not fill me with confidence.  She did say the 300 was discontinued and replaced with the 300N1 (which I have), but, well, you ever talk to someone and they aren't really hearing what you are saying?  She also said they are not discontinued.  

I thought that the original 300N was discontinued a while ago, shortly after they came out with the newer version 300N1/300N1C.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

I thought that the original 300N was discontinued a while ago, shortly after they came out with the newer version 300N1/300N1C.

My newer Cuisinarts are 300N1.  The fan failed on the 300N.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 weeks later...

Any suggestions for asparagus in the CSO?  Other than steam for 10 to 12 minutes from the CSO instruction book.  (Unfortunately I don't have a program to open the spreadsheet to see if there is something for asparagus.)

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Any suggestions for asparagus in the CSO?  Other than steam for 10 to 12 minutes from the CSO instruction book.  (Unfortunately I don't have a program to open the spreadsheet to see if there is something for asparagus.)

I toss with olive oil, S & P, then roast on steam-bake @ 400 F for 8-10 min depending on thickness.

• Like 1

Safari offers a disclaimer:  "Please be aware that formula calculations may differ in Excel."  It's not asparagus exactly but I've read people pilot airplanes from documents on their iPads.

Be that as it may -- the asparagus is in the CSO pan, waiting for my baked potato.  And my mai tai.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Well, bake steam 425F 10 minutes:

Dinner04202019.png

Please ignore the tuna and potato.  The asparagus was tasty, with satisfactory texture.  But oh my that color was hard to get past.  (Wine helped.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I do asparagus in the CSO as described above, too. But I think my favorite is simmered in a skillet for a minute or two in a half-cup water and a copious quantity of butter, until the water evaporates, and then sizzled in the remaining butter until it develops a little browning.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Any tips on cooking rice?  The Time/Temperature Index seems to not agree with itself regarding covering/not covering.  Both say Super Steam for 30 minutes.  The instruction book says to cover, but I’d love advice from someone who has actually done this!

I cover: sometimes with the lid, sometimes with the solicone pretty thingie A491A9B0-AD92-4B41-ABDF-BD00A4D2B021.thumb.jpeg.374bf2364d4d3882f81e3b1d41cb840b.jpegdepending on what cooking vessel I have available.  It is perfect every time

• Thanks 1

I've worked out that an hour at 250F convection bake gets my uncut boule to the magic Modernist 77C.

Last night I cooked my veggies on convection bake, 400F.  The eggplant was put in the microwave on full power for 1 minute before being baked.  Part of my dinner over on the Dinner Thread.

DSC02991.thumb.jpg.4457148962c487178affb08b03fd684d.jpgDSC02993.thumb.jpg.804c9eb35b9ec15700579b1cebbf714c.jpg

• Like 4

@chefmd - thank you again.  I made perfect rice - covered - last night:

DSCN9562.JPG.6f3aa80921c7d206a55bc9dfdc1d118b.JPG

This is rice that I got in Charleston SC - very fragrant and delicious!  One cup rice, one cup water and a couple of pinches of salt.  Covered and cooked on Super Steam at 300F for 30 minutes, then rested - still covered - for 10 minutes. 

I also made roasted shrimp in the CSO:

DSCN9561.JPG.c1725fbf94ca80275ceabe7dd1677770.JPG

When I need cooked shrimp for a recipe, I used to always boil or steam it.  Ina Garten says you should toss it in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 400F for 8-10 minutes.  I do it that way all the time now; it is so much juicier and tastier.  Since I was only doing one pound it fit in the CSO just fine.  I used convection at 375F.  They were perfect at 7 minutes.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I turned on my little oven this morning and it is working but for the first several seconds, it made this horrible grinding noise.  Anyone else ever experience this?

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I turned on my little oven this morning and it is working but for the first several seconds, it made this horrible grinding noise.  Anyone else ever experience this?

Convection fan packing it in?

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Indeed!  Rushed it back under warrantee.  Cuisinart sent me a coffee maker.*  Your fan is gone.  That'll teach you not to have a spare.

*eventually it all got sorted out.