• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

Thanks for replying @blue_dolphin.  Mystery is solved as I looked up from the well and found where the little thing fits.  There are three holes on the side of the machine where there are screws and they are covered with these little 'plugs'....I notice now that it is not hollow.  It must have fallen off the side of the  machine into the well  where the tank fits the last time I was filling the tank.  It is back in it's place and no water was spilt!  Sheesh.

Thanks.

DSC02880.thumb.jpg.fdaee821e322d494178e017476bcea77.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook
fix spelling and add "sheesh" (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have discovered yet another reason I love my CSO. I was toasting pecans while doing three or four other things, and I set it to convection back for four minutes, tossed the pecans when it dinged, and set it for four more. Had it not been for them being in the CSO, I would have likely burned them, as I do not have an oven timer that functions.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

21 hours ago, kayb said:

I have discovered yet another reason I love my CSO. I was toasting pecans while doing three or four other things, and I set it to convection back for four minutes, tossed the pecans when it dinged, and set it for four more. Had it not been for them being in the CSO, I would have likely burned them, as I do not have an oven timer that functions.

Ooh, I'm going to have to try this. I've proven myself capable of burning nuts every way possible and then some, multiple times each. And I HAVE timers up the wazoo, and use them, and still I burn!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

Ooh, I'm going to have to try this. I've proven myself capable of burning nuts every way possible and then some, multiple times each. And I HAVE timers up the wazoo, and use them, and still I burn!

I am the same with burning nuts and can attest that it's possible to burn them in the CSO as well.  Depends on the nut but some can go from perfectly toasted to burned from the residual heat if left in for a while after the timer goes off. 

Edited to add that little fellas like pine nuts are one of my favorite and expensive nuts to burn this way.

Now, it does improve your odds and saves you from the billows of smoke and blaring alarms as they're only slightly burnt, but burning can happen 🙃

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

Do people here use glass cookware in their CSO? I have some glass baking dishes, Anchor-Hocking or similar, which are rated OK for conventional ovens but they usually warn against using them under broilers and I think I have seen some warnings against using them in toaster ovens. Does that warning exist only because of the small size of some toaster ovens and would it be considered safer to use them at moderate temps in the CSO (or larger Brevilles, for that matter)? I have used them a time or two, but I certainly don't want any exploding glass. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Do people here use glass cookware in their CSO? I have some glass baking dishes, Anchor-Hocking or similar, which are rated OK for conventional ovens but they usually warn against using them under broilers and I think I have seen some warnings against using them in toaster ovens. Does that warning exist only because of the small size of some toaster ovens and would it be considered safer to use them at moderate temps in the CSO (or larger Brevilles, for that matter)? I have used them a time or two, but I certainly don't want any exploding glass. 

I do use glass bakeware in the CSO. I'm sure there is a certain risk of them exploding as that's reported even in conventional ovens. 

• Like 2

I use glass/porcelain/Corningware when I am reheating things but then I rarely go above 325°F.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

24 minutes ago, lindag said:

I mostly use Corningware as well, but in a pinch I'll use foil and shape it into a square and fold up the sides an inch or so to create a boat.  Easiest cleanup ever.

I have been known to do that.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Need some advice on making my hams for Xmas Eve.  I am cooking 5 of these.  They are small enough that I think one will go in the CSO and large enough that ONLY one will go in a time.  I am planning to bring to temp and glaze and then slice and refrigerate (going by advice I received in another thread).  I'll reheat slightly for serving Xmas Eve - using a slow cooker with a little Coke in the bottom.  I was thinking that the best way to cook them is with the bake/steam method.  Wondering about temperature, minutes per pound, etc. - generally anything you all can offer that will help to make this ham good.  Thanks so much, as always!

8 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Need some advice on making my hams for Xmas Eve.  I am cooking 5 of these.  They are small enough that I think one will go in the CSO and large enough that ONLY one will go in a time.  I am planning to bring to temp and glaze and then slice and refrigerate (going by advice I received in another thread).  I'll reheat slightly for serving Xmas Eve - using a slow cooker with a little Coke in the bottom.  I was thinking that the best way to cook them is with the bake/steam method.  Wondering about temperature, minutes per pound, etc. - generally anything you all can offer that will help to make this ham good.  Thanks so much, as always!

My standard for a fully cooked ham is to reheat 20 minutes per pound at 325. I glaze before I start. I'm usually doing bone-in, but it shouldn't make much ifference. In the CSO, I'd use bake/steam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

14 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I am missing something here.  You are going to reheat a cooked ham then chill it only to reheat it later.  This seems to be a way to dry out the ham.  Could you slice the ham cold and go directly into the slow cooker with the glaze?  I think this would give you better ham when you serve it

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Edward Dekker said:

I am missing something here.  You are going to reheat a cooked ham then chill it only to reheat it later.  This seems to be a way to dry out the ham.  Could you slice the ham cold and go directly into the slow cooker with the glaze?  I think this would give you better ham when you serve it

Well, that's what I thought, too.  But the consensus seemed to be that I needed to heat it  first.  I misspoke, though, when I said I was going to heat it.  I'm not - it will be served basically room temp.  

So, two things in the CSO today.  Both big successes.  I did the ham - ask Kay suggested, I cooked it to 140F on bake/steam at 325F.  It was incredibly moist and tender - even the cut edge:

DSCN8941.JPG.acf7f86dd68649341018aa19d67b273e.JPGI

I'll do the other 4 tomorrow.  

We were gifted lobster tails the other day.  Did those on steam cook at 210F for 20 minutes:

DSCN8943.JPG.635ae11f1b13ef817dc92e8eb3ca69ee.JPG

DSCN8944.JPG.d62d3346900ea6e448ff8303e7422a1f.JPG

Perfect.  

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Oooohhh. Never thought of lobster tails in the CSO. And I have a couple in the freezer. That may be Christmas night (as Christmas dinner is tomorrow, instead of The Day).

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

We were gifted lobster tails the other day.  Did those on steam cook at 210F for 20 minutes:

Kim,

Was this from frozen? They do look good!

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, chefmd said:

Carrots charred in cast iron pan and bake steam at 350 for 30 minutes.  

664B9337-6800-4604-8FA2-777C69C46212.thumb.jpeg.876be6a8ee5fd895ad67c2cf658a094e.jpeg

Wouldn't you get a similar result if you just bake-steamed the carrots at a higher temperature?  Not that I'm lazy or anything.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Wouldn't you get a similar result if you just bake-steamed the carrots at a higher temperature?  Not that I'm lazy or anything.

Excellent question.  I will try it.  Carrots were very tasty but if I can skip the searing part that’s less work!