• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

48 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I was in my favourite kitchen store the other day and the proprietor and I got talking about the CSO.  He said the return rate is 10%.

Repair required return rate? 

This was my second return from the 4 I have purchased. 

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Repair required return rate? 

This was my second return from the 4 I have purchased. 

What were the failures?  By the way, my early morning eyes read that as 41.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What were the failures?  By the way, my early morning eyes read that as 41.

Fan and light on the first one, fan on the second one. And I thought it looked funny too when I typed it

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Im just wondering

before in this Heat 

I enjoy a Personal Beverage

is it possible , that the versions

for out Friends from N.of.the.Boreder

had too many letters on their versions ?

From a Tire Company ?

just saying 

the CSO that I  have , w a lot of Patina is doing well.

CSO2   is still in its semi box , where MC enjoys taking a view from time to time

its all we can get.

the Anova Team , bless them

w their windfall

seems to still be Skinny Dipping in Bora Bora 

doubt we will ever see their version

and indeed

a Rational Combi

perhaps a smaller second on top for Bread

is the way to go

a member here some time ago

posted about getting one of these in their home

Vent , 3 phase power , etc

congratulations to them

Must say, mine has worked like a charm all its life, which has been maybe two years? I forget. It's well-used. If it quit tomorrow, I'd order another without hesitation.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 8/21/2018 at 12:13 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Are any here familiar with Exo Super Peels?  I've been using one for a while quite happily but I always wished I had one sized for the CSO.

ExoPeel08212018.png

Not a product one can buy.  This little peel was a lagniappe from a larger order.  The width is approximately 7.5 inches by 14 inches.  Perfect, or close to it, for the CSO.

When I reported how well it worked for my bread last night Gary at Exo wondered if it was something I thought other people might be interested in.  For anyone not familiar with Exo peels they don't look like they'd work but they really, really do.

Thoughts?

I've coveted a Super Peel (one of the regular size ones) for a while. Now you've got me coveting even more.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

06FF6E6A-5372-4EA3-9202-1F5FA65C56BA.thumb.jpeg.a6f6cd4ff81a8b799e1c98c2e7dcc472.jpeg

I bought this divided Corelle plate in a fit of nostalgia (think TV dinners)  quite sometime ago. It has never seen service until today. I wanted to reheat some things but I did not want them to mingle. It fits perfectly in the CSO. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/29/2018 at 12:50 PM, rotuts said:

is it possible , that the versions

for out Friends from N.of.the.Boreder

had too many letters on their versions ?

From a Tire Company ?

just saying 

A lot of appliances/electronics have specially designated Canadian versions. There are two reasons for that: One is that many products must be approved by the Canadian Standards Association (for others, the American UL certification is adequate). The second is to identify versions sold in Canada - and therefore warrantied by the Canadian mfr/distributor - from versions sold in the US and brought into Canada as "grey market" units. A lot of Canadians border shop, and there's nothing at all wrong with this, but you need to take the unit Stateside to get it serviced.

As for the tire company, Canadian Tire is a bit of an anomaly. Yes, it began as a tire and auto-parts/service vendor and is still the biggest in the country. However it's also the leading retailer of outdoor products, hockey gear and a number of other things, and its kitchenwares section is as good as you'll find in most retailers. They move a LOT of Instant Pots, for example. I almost bought one there last year during the Black Friday sale, but didn't pull the trigger (I have a strong suspicion it would just gather dust in my kitchen, like many another device).

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My new CSO finally came this afternoon.  But for some reason the UPS driver did not take away the coffee maker that had been Cuisinart's first attempt at warranty replacement.  A kind friend helped me take the coffee maker and the broken CSO over to the UPS store.  Shipment on the coffee maker was prepaid.  But I had to pay $28 to ship the CSO ten miles back to Cuisinart.

Now I have two Cuisinarts.  The newest one is reposing in a seldom visited corner of the living room.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
autocorrect (log)
  • Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A645AA62-D1D1-4064-B4A3-5ED693C4F956.thumb.jpeg.4ea4b58a4fa845e6a080b29ba8f11439.jpeg

Spotted at HomeSense in Oakville today.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

Yikes !

Canadienne ? Loonies ?

two or more might be nice

just in case.

Don’t forget though that in Ontario we have 13% HST on all such purchases!

• Confused 1

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I have no idea what a HST is

but it sounds pretty mean to me

maybe it might be better to wait until Oct 17 th or even better Oct 18th.

won't matte so much then

maybe.

HST = Harmonized sales tax. Now doesn’t that sound harmless?

My 2004 eG Blog

"Harmonized" sales tax is the (currently) 5% federal sales tax, plus the variable provincial sales tax, added as a single figure at the checkout.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Page 27 in the Manual:  French Bread.  Wow, was that easy.  First time making bread in the little beast.  I'll be doing this again.

Have to confess, I COULD NOT WAIT so I cut into it not 10 seconds after it was out of the oven....shows on the crumb shot.  Me bad.

DSC02722.thumb.jpg.ed9c52a7e80d1418642fb4c59a459fe8.jpgDSC02723.thumb.jpg.9f1fc17dcd8f7b850ed65b2e9aa100f3.jpg

• Like 10

On 9/20/2018 at 2:32 PM, Okanagancook said:

I COULD NOT WAIT so I cut into it not 10 seconds after it was out of the oven....shows on the crumb shot.

The crumb looks great to me. I'm bad too when it comes to fresh bread out of the oven when it's still hot enough to melt butter. Back in my twenties, my then husband and I used to polish off a full-sized loaf hot out of the oven with slathers of butter. Whoever can resist that fresh-baked bread aroma is a stronger person than I.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 3 weeks later...

I need some advice, please.  Should the CSO produce steam on the convection bake setting?  Mine does.  I made some french fries last night and when they were done frying, I put them in the CSO on convection at 300F to keep warm while I finished up the other stuff.  They came out a little flabby and tough.  Should I have used the "keep warm" function instead?  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I need some advice, please.  Should the CSO produce steam on the convection bake setting?  Mine does.  I made some french fries last night and when they were done frying, I put them in the CSO on convection at 300F to keep warm while I finished up the other stuff.  They came out a little flabby and tough.  Should I have used the "keep warm" function instead?  Thanks!

CSO is so tightly sealed that moisture in the food will turn to steam and stay in the oven.  I've inadvertently steamed a bunch of cauliflower because of this. You might try cracking open the door a hair...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2