• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

I steamed my eggs over simmering water on the stove top 

for 12 minutes (two different times) and the eggs were not done.  How long should I have cooked them?

Edited by lindag (log)

@ElsieD

true

I do 18 at a time in the iPot , in a basket.

rapid chill  in cold water , and then put them in the refrigerator.

I used to retherm these in hot tap water , in a plastic basket in the hot water from a 

good grips salad spinner , them micro'd  ( under the hot water ) for a minute or so

I dont recall , and by the time the coffee was ready

I had perfect soft boil eggs which I put on toast.

they are many many ways now to make no fuss Sb or HB eggs

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, lindag said:

I steamed my eggs over simmering water on the stove top 

for 12 minutes (two different times) and the eggs were not done.  How long should I have cooked them?

I occasionally steam eggs this way but I get the water hot before I put the eggs in the steamer basket and then start the 12 minute timing. Kenji did a detailed Food Lab on this. He claims steaming on the stovetop is better than using a pressure cooker and makes them easier to peel, I'm not sure about that. But when I use the Instant Pot for steaming eggs, I do heat the water a bit now (on Sauté) before putting the eggs in. I also use Low Pressure so I think that counters his claim that PCs can cook the eggs too hot.   

Anyway, here's the whole long article if you need to kill some time, though you can get the gist fairly quickly. :)

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

I have done eggs in the CSO but forget the details. I should give that another go. But I usually want hard-boiled eggs and I love how the other methods make the eggs so easily peeled, even fresh-from-the-farm eggs. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 3

i use Pressure-Steam

but on LP

the LP came from work done here on eG

by @Shelby

and possibly others.

rapid cooling is also key.

anyway, if you keep track of your experiments , either in the CSO  ir iPot

you will find a perfect way to cook your eggs 

exactly how you like them.

an no fuss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Auspicious said:

Why do you keep eggs in the fridge?

While I buy my eggs locally, they have been cleaned, so I assume the bloom has been washed from them.  If the bloom is  no longer there, refrigeration extends their shelf life.  Or so I've been told.

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

While I buy my eggs locally, they have been cleaned, so I assume the bloom has been washed from them.  If the bloom is  no longer there, refrigeration extends their shelf life.  Or so I've been told.

Agree regarding the bloom. What I have found is that if you make sure they stay dry (a day or two of wiping them dry after they come home) and flip the entire container every couple of days to keep the albumin distributed on the inside of the shell eggs will last for many weeks if not months.

• Like 1

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com

5 minutes ago, Auspicious said:

Agree regarding the bloom. What I have found is that if you make sure they stay dry (a day or two of wiping them dry after they come home) and flip the entire container every couple of days to keep the albumin distributed on the inside of the shell eggs will last for many weeks if not months.

Thanks.  I have a big fridge.

• Haha 1

First loaf baked in the CSO, a muesli loaf.  325, bread setting for 45 minutes.  The bread is more moist than I am used too.  The recipe said to bake it at 350 but I reduced it to 325 due to convection.  Maybe if I had left it at 350 it wouldn't have been so moist?

20180815_172326.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 6

I just re-heated some pelemini.  Super steam 400 for 5 minutes, then changed the dial to convection 400 for 2 minutes.  Left the tray in during the preheat.  John said they had reheated really well.

Are any here familiar with Exo Super Peels?  I've been using one for a while quite happily but I always wished I had one sized for the CSO.

ExoPeel08212018.png

Not a product one can buy.  This little peel was a lagniappe from a larger order.  The width is approximately 7.5 inches by 14 inches.  Perfect, or close to it, for the CSO.

When I reported how well it worked for my bread last night Gary at Exo wondered if it was something I thought other people might be interested in.  For anyone not familiar with Exo peels they don't look like they'd work but they really, really do.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

24 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Are any here familiar with Exo Super Peels?  I've been using one for a while quite happily but I always wished I had one sized for the CSO.

ExoPeel08212018.png

Not a product one can buy.  This little peel was a lagniappe from a larger order.  The width is approximately 7.5 inches by 14 inches.  Perfect, or close to it, for the CSO.

When I reported how well it worked for my bread last night Gary at Exo wondered if it was something I thought other people might be interested in.  For anyone not familiar with Exo peels they don't look like they'd work but they really, really do.

Thoughts?

Yup - I'd want one! I've been thinking one day I'd get around to making my own. But if they'll make it - even better.

On 8/15/2018 at 2:16 PM, ElsieD said:

Well, not to take away from your use of the IP for doing eggs, but this is a total non-brainer

Take egg from fridge and place on oven rack. 

Close door. 

Set time to steam, temp 210, time 10.

Close door.

Cone back 10 minutes later

Peel and eat egg

No pot to clean, either.🙂

Did you poke a hole in the egg?

2 hours ago, jer_vic said:

You can also buy dedicated egg poking devices.

https://www.amazon.ca/Fox-Run-5711-Piercer-Plastic/dp/B0000VLPTO

"Dedicated egg poking devices".  I love this.  I have a little no-name egg slicer that has a "poking device" in the middle of it.  I always poke my eggs before steaming for soft or hard cooked.  Wondered if the same held true for steaming in the CSO. 

Made some very, very good cornbread last night in the CSO.  Benton's bacon grease in the pan and in the bread.  Deep, smoky taste and the iron skillet gave me a great crust.  Conv/steam at 400F for about 20 minutes, after heating the pan and grease for about 15 minutes.  See all that nice bubbling grease:

DSCN8553.JPG.41f7d828bf2588a3027448869ee7f704.JPG

DSCN8555.JPG.dabc075cce943e05ad79805b41080f15.JPG

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 11

LOL

Sounds like the fun we had with Ninja, trying to get a replacement blender jar for my daughter. We read them all the necessary numbers off the unit (one was, oddly, on the electrical plug) and they sent us...a blender jar that was about an inch shorter than the original. Not an issue with most blenders, but the Ninja has this weirdly tall blade stack with multiple blades. So we called back, and they said "That's weird, the shorter one is an entirely different part number. Just throw that one out, and we'll send you the right one."

So, a week later, my daughter received...another of the too-short jars. So we called back and said, "You know what? Obviously there's some kind of issue in the warehouse. Just send us the shorter blade stack that fits the jar we *do* have, and it'll all be good."

They saw the logic in that, and sent us - wait for it - the same taller blade stack she already has. :P

At this point my daughter got fed up and decided to just save her pennies for a new blender instead.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Today I received a TeamFar 8x10x1.7 inch pan.  Just like the 8x10x3 inch lasagna pan I posted earlier but not as high.  These pans almost seem made for the CSO.  They feel more substantial than the pan Cuisinart supplies.  I also have the TeamFar 8x10x1 inch one.

I feel stupid for not buying the 8x10x1 inch pan with rack.  They don't seem to sell 8x10 inch racks separately.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

FYI Costco online has the CSO for $249.99 for members. They say the version is CSO-300PC-1PK.  The photo looks like the early C300 with only the two big buttons (Light & Start/Cancel), but the video is for the later model with the steam clean AND one of the reviews from a year ago confirms it is the later model. 

Just saying that for those that need a back up...