• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

Hi @Kim Shook it's me again lol.

I was looking through my CSO notes today and saw that I baked a banana bread--I'm sure it was just a plain one with no chips or anything-at 325F, steam bake, for 40 mins.  My notes say "try 35 mins next time" which means I thought it was over done a bit.

I was sure I had a box of those brownies, but I don't.  If I did, I could tell you how long and temp I bake mine in the CSO.  I will tell you this, though.  This pan is the BOMB for making those brownies in there

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Hi @Kim Shook it's me again lol.

I was looking through my CSO notes today and saw that I baked a banana bread--I'm sure it was just a plain one with no chips or anything-at 325F, steam bake, for 40 mins.  My notes say "try 35 mins next time" which means I thought it was over done a bit.

I was sure I had a box of those brownies, but I don't.  If I did, I could tell you how long and temp I bake mine in the CSO.  I will tell you this, though.  This pan is the BOMB for making those brownies in there

Not sure if this is helpful at all. 

I usually use the basic Banana Bread recipe at Simply Recipes for my banana bread. I think cooking time is influenced by how many bananas I use. I usually just use two bananas and I add a cup of walnuts or pecans. I reduce the temp from 350 to 325 (I do usually follow that rule of reducing by 25F when I use the CSO or my bigger convection oven) and I find that I need to cook the bread for at least 45 mins most times. I'm pretty sure if I use three bananas or two really large ones, it needs an extra five minutes cooking time or so. 

• Thanks 1

I haven't tried it yet but TeamFar also make a 10x8x1.7 inch stainless steel pan that should be good for things like brownies in the CSO:

http://amzn.com/B01MTJM0U0

Currently $12.98.  Thankfully I am not tempted to make brownies.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Did a loaf of CI's American Sandwich bread in the CSO this morning.  Did my 1st rise in the regular oven by their method.  You bring the oven to 200F, leave it on for 10 minutes and then turn it off.  Did my proof in the CSO.  Worked beautifully:

DSCN8510.JPG.bbba8ba26fff458740f1cb5251c9651e.JPG

Though I never get my dough as smooth as I'd like.  I forgot that I read here about shielding the loaf with foil partway through baking, so it got a little dark - not really burned, though, so it should be ok.  Smells wonderful.  I'll post a picture when I slice it.  I wish I could find somewhere other than my attic to store my bread machine.  It would be easier to mix, knead and do the first rise in that and just transfer to a pan for the CSO.

DSCN8511.JPG

@Okanagancook - I have a "thank you" for the wonderful spreadsheet of CSO times and temperatures that you put together.  What a wonderful timesaver - thanks for sharing your hard work on it. 

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My new CSO has come!  I have it half out of the box and now I'm recovering.  The package was too heavy for me to carry upstairs so I turned it end over end as best I could.

This model is the CSO-300N1.  It will be amusing to try to find the difference from the CSO-300N.  One change seems to be on the box.  Cuisinart no longer touts the powerful 1800 watt fan that the CSO-300N possessed.  Probably why my CSO-300N fan burnt out.

• Like 4

@JoNorvelleWalker

congratulations !

life now returns to Good

I was never able to find out the differences

and called Cuisinart , before some M.R.

and they did not know.

were you ever able to do sorting w CSOre warranty ?

MC likes sitting on top of CSOhere

but prefers three boxes of Tj's wine.

better view

• Like 1

my 300 is still fine

with some N.E.Patina !

its been way too hot to SteamClean etc

MC's favorite is an N I think , with that profusion on the back.

very shinny that one, perhaps they changed their stainless steal supplier pre-trumpeter ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Mine is going through an initial steam clean now!

If only every steam clean after that resulted in the same sparkling/shiny interior.  :(  xD

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Again, I know that I need to read the entire thread, but I have a quick question.  I made some fried green tomatoes last night:

DSCN8519.JPG.1ef0bf8d8958b5a5591b05279c964b83.JPG

They were wonderfully crisp.  I'd like to serve them again tonight.  What is the best setting to use to reheat these?  Thanks!!!

Why don't you send me that whole plate?  I'll test it out and get back to you with the best setting for next time xD

I generally use steam-bake for reheating fried things.  I just reheated some corn fritters on steam-bake @ 375°F (which was the same temp I used for frying them) and they came out perfectly - crispy crust, tender interior, like they'd just been fried. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, rotuts said:

were you ever able to do sorting w CSOre warranty ?

Cuisinart is replacing my old CSO-300N under warranty.

• Like 8

Did an egg today using the setting and time in The Chart.  21 minutes was perfect for a "hard boiled" egg.  I doubt if I will ever boil an egg again.  I think a short ice bath would have made peeling it easier as the shell wanted to stay stuck to the white.   I'm going to try the 10 minute one next as I am assuming it will come out like a soft boiled egg.  That'll be good too, but I  hope it doesn't have slimy white.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Did an egg today using the setting and time in The Chart.  21 minutes was perfect for a "hard boiled" egg.  I doubt if I will ever boil an egg again.  I think a short ice bath would have made peeling it easier as the shell wanted to stay stuck to the white.   I'm going to try the 10 minute one next as I am assuming it will come out like a soft boiled egg.  That'll be good too, but I  hope it doesn't have slimy white.

Let us know and I will add a comment on The Chart.  I made a note about the ice for ease of peeling.

• Like 1

Did an egg today on steam, 210, for 10 minutes.  No slimy white, for me the egg was perfect.  As you can see, the outer edges of the yolk are very slightly set.  I did take it take it out of the oven and put it in an ice bath, but only briefly.  It wasn't long enough to make the peeling easier so some of the white did come off with the shell.  That said, it was a lovely egg.  Oh, the egg weighed 66 grams.

20180815_121225.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

some time ago I did eggs @ above in the CSO

but I now do them in the iPot.

each , with careful timing and notes kept

can do an outstanding job.

Well, not to take away from your use of the IP for doing eggs, but this is a total non-brainer

Take egg from fridge and place on oven rack. 

Close door. 

Set time to steam, temp 210, time 10.

Close door.

Cone back 10 minutes later

Peel and eat egg

No pot to clean, either.🙂

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Well, not to take away from your use of the IP for doing eggs, but this is a total non-brainer

Take egg from fridge and place on oven rack. 

Close door. 

Set time to steam, temp 210, time 10.

Close door.

Cone back 10 minutes later

Peel and eat egg

No pot to clean, either.🙂

Does it matter if rack is on the bottom or middle?