• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

48 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Here is a blog that states it is dedicated to the CSO.  

https://cookingwithconvectionsteam.com

Edited to add:  now that I'm delving deeper into this site, I'm not sure if it is still live.  

Interesting, nonetheless.  The copyright is 2018.  I liked the question and answer:

"When not to use convection and steam:"

"when you don't have a convection steam oven."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Very topical.  As I was baking tonight my fan started howling like a wounded banshee.  Amazon's lowest price at the moment is $230.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Interesting, nonetheless.  The copyright is 2018.  I liked the question and answer:

"When not to use convection and steam:"

"when you don't have a convection steam oven."

My trust waivers when someone using the title “chef” considers these to be poached eggs. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, Anna N said:

I think there will have to be some testing done to see how her recipes fare in the  Cuisinart Steam Oven. They seem to be aimed at the higher end combis more so than the CSO. She is lumping all steam ovens together and it remains to be seen if that is truly feasible. 

Going to attempt the steamed eggs in the Cuisinart steam oven this morning.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

FWIW, on a site called steamandbake someone did hard boiled eggs in a Gaggenau using steam at 210 degrees for 21 minutes.  This is exactly the same as the hard boiled eggs in @Okanagancook's chart.

Very different from the site we are discussing where it’s 203°F for 7 1/2 minutes. I could be very hungry this morning.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

29 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Very different from the site we are discussing where it’s 203°F for 7 1/2 minutes. I could be very hungry this morning.

017D4AB2-87ED-4355-939F-B62730985165.thumb.jpeg.3133d4e68fedbd1c9eaa63123f771951.jpeg

Impossible to peel so it was scooped out of the shell. This is 7 1/2 minutes at 210°F steam. Not quite where I want it to be but not far off.

8C606C16-75A3-45CD-8518-0DBB8C293C19.thumb.jpeg.6e75a3e531b0898bac68589a7d2d2d75.jpeg

This one got 2 minutes longer. It was a little easier to get out of the shell but not much.  It is past the point that I would like to be at. 

I have a hard time imagining an egg cooked for 21 minutes in this manner.

I started with two eggs one which weighed 58 g and one which weighed 59 g. I left them at room temperature for about 30 minutes before cooking them. I allowed the oven to preheat on steam setting at 210°F for 10 minutes.  On steam setting the increments are 10° so there was no possibility of choosing 203° as per the recipe. 

An interesting experiment that proved that at least for eggs the website is useful. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I have a hard time imagining an egg cooked for 21 minutes in this manner.

If you want to see what the 21 min hard boiled eggs look like, you can see a photo in this post.  I got the time from a Wolf Combi oven manual (also linked in that post).

I think I cooked them straight from the fridge.  They may be a little overdone but generally the way I like them for making deviled eggs or egg salad, places where I don't care for a jammy yolk.

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

If you want to see what the 21 min hard boiled eggs look like, you can see a photo in this post.  I got the time from a Wolf Combi oven manual (also linked in that post).

I think I cooked them straight from the fridge.  They may be a little overdone but generally the way I like them for making deviled eggs or egg salad, places where I don't care for a jammy yolk.

Thanks. Definitely way past where I would like to go with eggs. Vive la différence!

But I also think there are so many variables going on here. The pre-heat time, the temperature of the eggs, whether one shocks them after or not......

And I am also of the opinion that the provenance of the eggs matters. I don’t mean just farm eggs versus supermarket eggs but I suspect that eggs from one farm would not necessarily behave the same as eggs from another farm.

If I’ve learned anything from all my various experiments with eggs it’s that consistency in results is a far cry from where it might be.  I suspect eggs are like people. No two are identical not even identical twins!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. Definitely way past where I would like to go with eggs. Vive la différence!

For a jammy, slightly runny yolk, I like to steam eggs in a pot, direct from the fridge for 8 min and right into ice water so I can see the CSO timing you used to be very close to that. 

I thought of trying the CSO but I'm usually toasting something in there!

Another steam oven site I happened on recently: Cooking with Steam

In their Tuna Niçoise recipe, they use 8 min on steam (100°C) for an egg that looks like I'd be happy to eat. 

They do 15 min for hard cooked eggs in their Curried Eggs recipe.

They also make "fried" eggs in a pre-heated tray for 2-4 min on a steam bake type setting @ 220°C (~425°F) in a recipe for bacon and eggs.  Not sure that would work well in the little CSO but I guess I could try it if someone shut off the gas and stole all my pots and pans.

22 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

For a jammy, slightly runny yolk, I like to steam eggs in a pot, direct from the fridge for 8 min and right into ice water so I can see the CSO timing you used to be very close to that. 

I thought of trying the CSO but I'm usually toasting something in there!

That was my issue today. I wanted toast with my eggs. 

Another steam oven site I happened on recently: Cooking with Steam

In their Tuna Niçoise recipe, they use 8 min on steam (100°C) for an egg that looks like I'd be happy to eat.

I must investigate. 

They do 15 min for hard cooked eggs in their Curried Eggs recipe.

They also make "fried" eggs in a pre-heated tray for 2-4 min on a steam bake type setting @ 220°C (~425°F) in a recipe for bacon and eggs.  Not sure that would work well in the little CSO but I guess I could try it if someone shut off the gas and stole all my pots and pans.

Steaming eggs in the CSO would not be normally my method of choice. On the other hand there is absolutely no cleanup to do in terms of cooking vessels!  I did my eggs on the rack in the baking tray and there was no cleanup involved.

It’s always good to have more ammo in your arsenal or tools in your toolbox than you actually need. One can never predict when they may come in useful. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

35 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

7EC92817-615F-40F7-962C-96DAE8DEDC72.thumb.jpeg.4141c04921b9451a3f3a6aaf6607a09b.jpeg

Jalapeno, Sausage and Cheese Scrambled Egg ‘Muffins’ - Convection Bake at 325F for 30 minutes

Do you have a link for that recipe? It looks like something I'd like to try with my equipment on hand.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

48 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Do you have a link for that recipe? It looks like something I'd like to try with my equipment on hand.

I don’t remember where I originally found this recipe or if I made any changes, it has been years ago. This is the version I use:

Jalapeño, Sausage and Cheese Scrambled Egg ‘Muffins’

Servings: 6

Ingredients:

- 8 ounces Pork Sausage, ground
- 6 Large Eggs, lightly beatened 
- 4 ounces Cheddar or Monterey Jack or a Blend of Cheeses, shredded
- 2 tablespoons Pickled Jalapeño Slices, chopped

Directions:

1. Cook sausage until lightly browned and crumbly in a medium-hot fry pan. Drain and let cool on a paper towel covered plate.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Stir in the cooled sausage, cheese and jalapeños.

3. Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray such as Pam. Preheat oven to 350℉. If using Convection Bake, preheat oven to 325℉.

4. Spoon mixture evenly into muffin pan cups and bake on middle rack in oven for about 30  minutes or until golden brown and the eggs have set. Begin checking after 25 minutes.

5. Remove pan from oven and cool on a wire rack. Use a large spoon to loosen any stuck edges and pop the muffins out of the pan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Today I cooked a crispy skin Pork Belly.  

Finished Crispy Skin Pork picture 1

I took a nice piece of pork belly.  Lightly seasoned the meat side with Meat Magic and put a thick layer of salt on the skin.

29942632_2018-07-3114_33_02.thumb.jpg.1ce7ca68b2e7eafa6a201202a70a5ea6.jpg

Steam Roast 350 for 60 minutes.   The salt formed a crust.  Sections of the crust came off while other sections of the crust had to be broken up and brushed off.

478436594_2018-07-3115_37_21.thumb.jpg.a2ec54b6540aa1438818d1c32adc67dd.jpg

667271061_2018-07-3115_36_44.thumb.jpg.e57eeabf8295e1e002fb0a010a95404d.jpg1053655276_2018-07-3115_44_56.thumb.jpg.2c60ee0583cdc1e631294ded42e17b2d.jpg2145267384_2018-07-3115_45_01.thumb.jpg.e1430396e34a6e03f4bc9ab5fea858e6.jpg

The Pork Belly was then back into the CSO  - Convection Roast 450 for 40 minutes.

Finished Crispy Skin Pork picture 2

Finished Crispy Skin Pork picture 3

Finished Crispy Skin Pork picture 4

The result was a very crispy  skin with a nice crunch. 

More development is need - the meat was ok but not as flavorful and tender as i hoped.  I note that this Pork Belly has far less internal fat than I expected.  A pork belly with more fat may have worked better.

• Like 6

I actually have something to contribute to The Chart.    I made oatmeal today and this is what I did:

1/4 cup steel cut oats

1 cup 1% milk

1 tablespoon maple syrup

Pinch of salt

Dried apple bits

Dried cranberries

Into the CSO or went, set on steam at 210F for an hour.   It was really good, the oats were cooked but still had texture.  I made a second batch for tomorrow.

I also learned to make sure the drip tray is in tight.🙁

Edited to add: also learned that after making sure the drop tray is in tight, to also empty it from time to to times.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have now used a few of the CSO functions.  One question I have though, is what is the difference between super steam and steam? Does super steam do the same thing as steam only faster?  Is there a temperature difference?  The amount is steam generated different?  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have now used a few of the CSO functions.  One question I have though, is what is the difference between super steam and steam? Does super steam do the same thing as steam only faster?  Is there a temperature difference?  The amount is steam generated different?  

Steam function is steam only, so it only goes up to 210F. Super Steam includes one of the heat elements as well, so can heat up to 400F. I think it's the lower element used for Super Steam, the upper element is used for the broil function. 

Why is this different from the Steam-Bake, you ask? The Steam-Bake uses both top and bottom elements and can get hotter, but I wonder if it has the same amount of steam - no easy way to measure that. 

I find it a bit confusing, to be honest. I usually use Steam Broil for fish. I'd have to go back to the manual to see their recommendations for some of these settings. I just wing it sometimes!  

• Like 2

Fresh sockeye salmon with a homemade apricot glaze and local green beans and mixed rice. This is when I could have used two CSO's! Maybe it's time to bring that extra one up from the storage room. Cooked the salmon on steam broil at 425 for about 15 mins. 

IMGP6503.thumb.JPG.94f01c8a3c5c99fafa7743ce83a61460.JPG

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1