• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I freeze one whole loaf of this bread every time.  Works great :) Thaws great :)  You would never know it had been frozen.

Do you slice first, or just freeze whole? And do you just let it thaw on the counter?

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

If you don't mind @kayb, could you tell me the function and temperature used for your tenderloin...was it a whole loin?  I will add it to my spreadsheet.  Thanks

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@kayb

I would love to know function and temperature also if you don’t mind. Thank you.

Steam bake, 400 degrees, 25 minutes.  It was about a 1 1/2 pound piece of tenderloin. Warning, pink pork aficionados; there was no pink in this. It was JUST past the point of pink.

• Thanks 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, kayb said:

Do you slice first, or just freeze whole? And do you just let it thaw on the counter?

I freeze it whole and yep, just thaw it out on the counter for a few hours before I want to use it.

51 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I freeze it whole and yep, just thaw it out on the counter for a few hours before I want to use it.

I, on the other hand,  slice it, double wrap two slices together in plastic wrap and, if it seems to make sense,  put all the wrapped slices into a Ziploc bag before freezing. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I wanted to use some cooked meat so I mixed it with sautéed zucchini cubes, cooked macaroni, pesto and topped with mozzarella cheese/parmesan.  Spread on the CSO tray and Steam Baked for 15 minutes to reheat.  Then changed to Broil 400 for about 5 to 8 minutes to get brown on top.  Turned out decent.  Full dinner picture on the dinner thread.

DSC02608.thumb.jpg.be2401bab0a005bbec36a497f3464579.jpgDSC02609.thumb.jpg.af67dfac31c56442c7cc7617648f63b6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Inspired now to bake my own loaf...

I had a box of KAF potato bread mix on hand that I'd bought a couple months ago.

I'm  mixing that up now in my bread machine and will bake it in my CSO.

edited to add....my potato bread loaf rose too tall in the first  few minutes and scorched on the top, I had to pull it out and finish it in my big oven.

• Sad 1

This is the brioche I made today using the recipe in the CSO booklet.  Given my mistakes, I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did.  I had made the dough and put it in the fridge for it's 3 1/2 hour rest when I noticed I had used the wrong measuring cup and was 1/4 cup flour short.  I hauled it out, put it back in the bowl and added the flour.  Let the machine do it's work for a few minutes and put it back in the fridge.  A couple of hours in I went to have a peak and discovered that while I had greased the top of the dough the first time, I had forgotten to do so the second time so the surface of the dough, rather than being supple, was, shall we say, a bit firm.  I did check on the baking halfway through and had to tent it with foil.  It is a lovely loaf, although not very large which is not surprising either as it called for only 1 1/3 cups of flour.  Should toast up nicely for breakfast.

20180725_203250.jpg

20180725_200912.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

This is the brioche I made today using the recipe in the CSO booklet.  Given my mistakes, I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did.  I had made the dough and put it in the fridge for it's 3 1/2 hour rest when I noticed I had used the wrong measuring cup and was 1/4 cup flour short.  I hauled it out, put it back in the bowl and added the flour.  Let the machine do it's work for a few minutes and put it back in the fridge.  A couple of hours in I went to have a peak and discovered that while I had greased the top of the dough the first time, I had forgotten to do so the second time so the surface of the dough, rather than being supple, was, shall we say, a bit firm.  I did check on the baking halfway through and had to tent it with foil.  It is a lovely loaf, although not very large which is not surprising either as it called for only 1 1/3 cups of flour.  Should toast up nicely for breakfast.

I love it when bread is forgiving, but that's largely because I don't make it often enough or have the best techniques to begin with!  :laugh:

• Like 2

Again, I took up the challenge of pizza in the CSO.  This time I used Neapolitan Dough from Modernist Bread rather than leftover French Lean Dough.  And since the CSO is a convection oven I dispensed with trying to use the broiler function and simply went with a three hour pre-heat of the steel.

After 13 minutes the dough was nicely browned, but not blackened.  If I could never have better pizza I would die content, however I think I can do better.

Next trial I plan to use the big oven.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 minutes ago, weinoo said:

So does the baking steel mini griddle fit into the CSO?

I don't think so either but you could take one for the team and report back.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

What a useful website!

Sorry. Try as I might I can’t get past the ads. It’s just too ad-heavy for my level of tolerance. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

I get no ads

do you have an ' ad-blocker' for your browser ?

Lucky you!   No I don’t have an ad blocker I might look into them though.

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Lucky you!   No I don’t have an ad blocker I might look into them though.

Ad blocker Plus is a fast and effective and free download. eGullet is about the only site where it isn't needed for me

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Ad blocker Plus is a fast and effective and free download. eGullet is about the only site where it isn't needed for me

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

I get no ads

do you have an ' ad-blocker' for your browser ?

Thanks to both of you. Makes the site more accessible. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Yeah, it was a nice find. I just did a random search for steam recipes, and it popped up. Must be a newish site?

I brought out my steam oven again as I'm getting the Breville Smart Oven Air. Cleaned it all up. And tried it. I think I'll keep it and use it more often, but it's gonna have to go in the cupboard when not in use since I'll have the Breville Air out. Feeling a bit like a hoarder.... Oh well.

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

51 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Yeah, it was a nice find. I just did a random search for steam recipes, and it popped up. Must be a newish site?

I think there will have to be some testing done to see how her recipes fare in the  Cuisinart Steam Oven. They seem to be aimed at the higher end combis more so than the CSO. She is lumping all steam ovens together and it remains to be seen if that is truly feasible. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog