• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

4 minutes ago, weinoo said:

What's with the tin foil?  Let that thing get dirty!

Nope.  Holding it off as long as possible.  It is currently the cleanest thing in the house.  Including myself.

Question, please.  I want to cook frozen Chicken Kiev - the directions on the package say 375F for 25-30 minutes.  Can't find any directions for that kind of thing anywhere.  Convection bake - steam bake - ????  Thanks!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, weinoo said:

What's with the tin foil?  Let that thing get dirty!

Yeah.  What is this hangup with clean ovens? If it ain’t smoking it don’t need cleaning.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

For breakfast this morning I had some of Paul Prudhomme's duck boudin patties from the freezer I wanted to use.  They are basically cooked duck pieces mixed with cooked rice and spices.  I put them in the CSO on steam bake 325f for 15 minutes by which time the internal temp was around 160F.  Let them go another 5 min.  Then switched to broil at 500F for 8 minutes.  Nice brown top and hot throughout. Usually one fries them and they are already a little on the rich side so this was a perfect way to get them nice an crunchy on the outside....besides I already had a long griddle full of zucchini pancakes and a cast iron fry pan full of water pouching some eggs.  Another thing on the stove top was not in the cards.  Sorry no picture.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Nope.  Holding it off as long as possible.  It is currently the cleanest thing in the house.  Including myself.

Question, please.  I want to cook frozen Chicken Kiev - the directions on the package say 375F for 25-30 minutes.  Can't find any directions for that kind of thing anywhere.  Convection bake - steam bake - ????  Thanks!

If I had a CSO I'd want to use it but keep it clean too. My house doesn't reflect that philosophy, but I do try.  Hang in there. :D

As for convection vs. steam: I can't give you a comparison, but I can tell you that Chicken Kiev in an air fryer on convection alone worked a treat. I used 350F until the internal temperature reached 160F, but you may have other instructions that will work better in your device.

Let us know how it works out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Kim Shook, I'd generally go with convection for most anything that's breaded. 

I cooked perhaps the best pork tenderloin I've ever cooked in my life tonight. Marinated it about six hours in bulgogi marinade, let the marinade reduce while I popped the tenderloin in the CSO, on the rack over a foil-lined pan, for 25 minutes. Took it out, glazed with reduced marinade, flipped it over and glazed that side, and gave it another 10. Rested it for 10.

Tenderloin was the most moist and best texture of any I've ever cooked. Marinade was just a tad too sweet.

@Smithy, yes, Convection w/o steam, although I think there's still some steam involved.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

54 minutes ago, kayb said:

Thanks!

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted response to make sense (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Tonight I returned to the topic of pizza in the CSO -- this time on steel.  I hand tossed a beautiful little disc of yesterday's French lean dough, and added cheese and toppings on the peel.  The problem was a failure to get the pizza off the peel.  I ended up with what one might think of as an inside out calzone.

The bottom of the seven minute crust was thin and crisp with archetypal chewy, puffy holes. Just as I remember my first postwar boardwalk pie.  Sadly most of the cheese and toppings remained somewhere inside the CSO.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I've posted this before, but another picture of the beautiful bread the CSO does.  I needed white bread for BLT's last night.

It looks like your bread pans are doubled up...is that right?

1 hour ago, lindag said:

It looks like your bread pans are doubled up...is that right?

No, it's just a double "lip" on the pans.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

what are the pans you used ?

as @lindag  suggested  doubled ?

can you ref the Rx ?

thanks

its Sooooo   Soooooooooo hot here ,  im thinking of baking bread in the CSO

( outside ? )

Here is the post where I first used them and made the recipe supplied by @Anna N

And here is a link to the pans on Amazon.  They fit perfectly in the CSO.

And, here is a link to the recipe from King Arthur Flour.  It turns out great every time. 

Use the bread setting.  Bake 25 mins.  Internal temp should read 190F.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Shelby

You are making me feel guilty with your bread. @Kerry Beal is doing low-carb so bread is not on her radar but still on mine! May have to break down and bake a couple of loaves before too long.  I can freeze some slices and between me and Kira we will demolish two loaves in no time flat.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

@Shelby

You are making me feel guilty with your bread. @Kerry Beal is doing low-carb so bread is not on her radar but still on mine! May have to break down and bake a couple of loaves before too long.  I can freeze some slices and between me and Kira we will demolish two loaves in no time flat.

I freeze one whole loaf of this bread every time.  Works great :) Thaws great :)  You would never know it had been frozen.

• Like 3

I'm going to make the brioche recipe from the CSO booklet today.  One thing I found odd is their measurement of the butter.  It calls for 6 tablespoons or 90 ml of cold unsalted butter.  Just how do you measure 90 ml of cold butter? I think I'll just use 85 gm. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'm going to make the brioche recipe from the CSO booklet today.  One thing I found odd is their measurement of the butter.  It calls for 6 tablespoons or 90 ml of cold unsalted butter.  Just how do you measure 90 ml of cold butter? I think I'll just use 85 gm. 

Use 85 g. I think you would have to use the displacement method to get 90 mL and that is a pain in the aspidistra.   Weight measurements make so much more sense.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

In the US butter is commonly packaged in quarter pound sticks of eight tablespoons, with tablespoon markings on the paper wrapper.  Someone apparently just did a helpful metric conversion to get 90 ml.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In the US butter is commonly packaged in quarter pound sticks of eight tablespoons, with tablespoon markings on the paper wrapper.  Someone apparently just did a helpful metric conversion to get 90 ml.

I do wish it were as innocent as that. Some Canadian butter is also sold in quarter pound sticks with tablespoon markings. Even the 1 pound/454 g packages usually give tablespoon marks. The problem is that somebody decided that millilitres could be used in place of cup measurements for solid items. This ridiculous attempt to convert cups/spoons to “metric” drives me nuts and I’m afraid it is a habit of Canadian recipe writers. Like so.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I do wish it were as innocent as that. Some Canadian butter is also sold in quarter pound sticks with tablespoon markings. Even the 1 pound/454 g packages usually give tablespoon marks. The problem is that somebody decided that millilitres could be used in place of cup measurements for solid items. This ridiculous attempt to convert cups/spoons to “metric” drives me nuts and I’m afraid it is a habit of Canadian recipe writers. Like so.

That is the point I was trying to make.  Anna said it so much better.  The liquid conversions don't bother me.  

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

No, it's just a double "lip" on the pans.

Here is the post where I first used them and made the recipe supplied by @Anna N

And here is a link to the pans on Amazon.  They fit perfectly in the CSO.

And, here is a link to the recipe from King Arthur Flour.  It turns out great every time. 

Use the bread setting.  Bake 25 mins.  Internal temp should read 190F.

Did you tent the loaves at any time?   Mine get too brown if I don't; usually about 15 minutes into the bake.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kayb said:

I cooked perhaps the best pork tenderloin I've ever cooked in my life tonight. Marinated it about six hours in bulgogi marinade, let the marinade reduce while I popped the tenderloin in the CSO, on the rack over a foil-lined pan, for 25 minutes. Took it out, glazed with reduced marinade, flipped it over and glazed that side, and gave it another 10. Rested it for 10.

Tenderloin was the most moist and best texture of any I've ever cooked. Marinade was just a tad too sweet.

@Smithy, yes, Convection w/o steam, although I think there's still some steam involved.

If you don't mind @kayb, could you tell me the function and temperature used for your tenderloin...was it a whole loin?  I will add it to my spreadsheet.  Thanks

23 minutes ago, lindag said:

Did you tent the loaves at any time?   Mine get too brown if I don't; usually about 15 minutes into the bake.

Yes!  I did tent at exactly the same time as you do--15 mins in.

• Like 1

Inspired now to bake my own loaf...

I had a box of KAF potato bread mix on hand that I'd bought a couple months ago.

I'm  mixing that up now in my bread machine and will bake it in my CSO.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

If you don't mind @kayb, could you tell me the function and temperature used for your tenderloin...was it a whole loin?  I will add it to my spreadsheet.  Thanks

@kayb

I would love to know function and temperature also if you don’t mind. Thank you.

My 2004 eG Blog