• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

Tonight was my second time using the CSO.  I had skin on chicken thighs that I had marinated in a liquid jerk seasoning.  I cooked them at steam bake 425F for 30 minutes.  The skin while "crispyish" was not what I call "crisp". Was that because the thighs had been marinated and were still wet when they went in?

Also, do you clean the baking tray and rack in the dishwasher?

Thanks!

• Like 1

To No. 2 -- yes. I line my tray with foil all the time. Just easier. Everything that comes out of the CSO goes in the dishwasher.

To No. 1 -- probably. You could finish it on broil or convection ro crispify it further.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 minute ago, ElsieD said:

Tonight was my second time using the CSO.  I had skin on chicken thighs that I had marinated in a liquid jerk seasoning.  I cooked them at steam bake 425F for 30 minutes.  The skin while "crispyish" was not what I call "crisp". Was that because the thighs had been marinated and were still wet when they went in?

Thanks!

I put the tray and rack in the dishwasher.  Amazon sells 10 inch by 10 inch squares of parchment which are convenient.

For chicken thighs with the crispest skin I go with steam bake 450F, no marinade.  However I've found I prefer thighs according to the CSO manual:  steam bake 300F for an hour.  Most succulent flesh.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

24 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks!

It's funny about the outcome with marinated skin.  We do a pig roast every year and two years ago I got my injection brine all over the skin and that skin did not crisp up not matter what we did to it.  Humm?  Wonder what the science is?

• Like 2

I agree 1/2 isn with

@kayb

but I use parchment paper

the brown stuff not the white.   

the brown stuff seems to be much more ' no - stick '

https://www.target.com/p/if-you-care-174-unbleached-chlorine-free-parchment-baking-paper-70-sq-ft/-/A-51989374

I just hand wash , sometimes w a nylon scrubbie 

some time ago I had baked on black stuff

I put that in the CSO while doing a steam clean

I was amazed the crud just floated off.

@JoNorvelleWalker

nice tip on the 300 / 30

Ill have to give that a go sometime.

I agree on the marinade => lack of crispness

try a few minutes on steam broil  . which might help

but stay close and keep your eyes peeled.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I put the tray and rack in the dishwasher.  Amazon sells 10 inch by 10 inch squares of parchment which are convenient.

For chicken thighs with the crispest skin I go with steam bake 450F, no marinade.  However I've found I prefer thighs according to the CSO manual:  steam bake 300F for an hour.  Most succulent flesh.

Amazon.ca does not carry 10 x 10 parchment paper.😕

53 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Amazon.ca does not carry 10 x 10 parchment paper.😕

The company is Worthy Liners.

https://www.worthyliners.com/collections/frontpage

Ask them if they ship to Canada.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

wow

I do get annoyed when I have to tear off a sheet of parchment paper !

Ive bookmarked the site

thanks

@JoNorvelleWalker

the 100's are out of stock

if I get 500

Id have to live 3 lifetimes.

tempting though

what might be the difference between :

https://www.worthyliners.com/collections/frontpage/products/copy-of-parchment-baking-paper-squares-all-sizes-available

and

https://www.worthyliners.com/collections/frontpage/products/silicone-natural-baking-parchment-paper-squares-all-sizes-available

and

https://www.worthyliners.com/collections/frontpage/products/copy-of-baking-parchment-paper-sheets-various-sizes?variant=10042563973

?

very interesting question .

i found this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchment_paper

which really does not answer the question

I initially used Reynolds  white parchment paper

the box has changed and perhaps the product

they I tried the " id you care "   PP

and it had far better ' release ' characteristics

Ive looked at both boxes I have :

an old Reynods  ( which I put the new brown PP in , as the R's box

as a metal   ' cut off or rip off " blade " "

and the IYC does not.   you can't ' rip off ' the IYC  paper from the roll therfore

So I cut it.

neither box mentions  silicone

I do have silicone baking mats.

perhaps Ill cut one  ( possible safe )

for the CSO pan

of course

a talented eG Enabler  

might have found a silicone mat for the CSO

I went to worthy liners and they do ship to Canada for a not unreasonable charge.  Since I had to go to the dentist today, I decided to stop by the dollar store to see what they had in the way of foil sheets.  I ended up buying a package of 30 foil sheets for $1.25,  they are a bit larger than 10 ' 10 but I just crumple them up a bit on the long side.

For dinner, I decided to just do some burgers in the CSO.  I had printed out @Okanagancook 's spreadsheet and saw 1 hour at 130 on steam.  I did a search and found that @rotuts was the author of that post.  I also saw that someone had done them on supersteam at 150.  The question was asked of that person as to how long they cooked them for but as far as I can tell, this question was not answered.  My question is:  what is the difference between super steam and steam?  Has anyone else done their burgs at 130 for an hour?  We like our burgs fairly well done, so should I use maybe 150 for a shorter time? Are they cooked on the tray or on a rack?

Edited by ElsieD
Added the last line. Changed steambake to steam (log)

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

My question is:  what is the difference between super steam and steam bake?  Has anyone else done their burbs at 130 for an hour?  We like our burgs fairly well done, so should I use maybe 150 for a shorter time? Are they cooked on the tray or on a rack?

Low temperature steaming should be a lot like Sous VIde cooking.

Cooking at 130 will not get past medium.  SeriousEats and AnovaCulinary show medium well is 138 to 144 and well done is 145 to 155.

If you want well done  your steaming time and temperature should allow the center to come up to temperature. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

I do have silicone baking mats.

perhaps Ill cut one  ( possible safe )

for the CSO pan

The Silpats I have came with instructions warning not to cut them and to dispose of them if abraded.  They have fiberglass inside and it is not good to eat or breath the glass fibers.

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Are they cooked on the tray or on a rack?

I have cooked burgers on the Cuisinart pan with the rack.  The pan catches the drippings the rack holds the burger allowing steam to get to the bottom.

• Like 1

@Edward Dekker

correct

howevver

somewhere here even or there

one might cut a silpat

carefully to fit  a pan

then ' heat over ' the cut ends to seal them

that's different than an abraded surface

and no one might put food on the sealed over ends

I have not done this for a simple reason :

the silpats are stiff , and y9ou can't use them to go up 1/4 " on each CSO's pans edges

so they won't trap in the tray " jus "

therefore won't keep that pan that clean

parchment paper a bit larger than a CSO pan , or any sheet pan will do this

and thus earn its place on the pan.

15 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@Jacksoup thanks.  My pleasure.  You can modify it as you determine what works for you.  I use my chart a lot.

I used the setting on your chart to re-heat pizza.  Genius.  Your chart has a place of honour in my kitchen.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jacksoup said:

@Okanagancook  I just downloaded your spreadsheet.  It’s a work of art, thanks for all the effort.

Can someone tell me where I can find this spreadsheet?  My searches didn't find it.

On 6/22/2018 at 2:08 PM, Okanagancook said:

As noted above, probably a year or so ago I put together a spreadsheet of items, oven mode, times and temperatures from the CSO Threads Parts 1 and 2.  I have updated that with cookery from part 3.  I did not enter items with complicated recipes.  I have attached  an Excel Spreadsheet which my Apple computer generated from the Numbers Spreadsheet so hopefully it will open for everyone.

A "Numbers" document is not accepted.  If anyone wants the Numbers version just email me.

Convection-Steam Oven Cookery.xlsx

It was way back on something like page 38.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

Host's note: in light of the popularity of Okanagancook's table, the original post is now duplicated and pinned to the top of the Kitchen Consumer Forum Topic List, here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown