• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

For the first time, I did...

1053651378_2018-06-2407931.thumb.JPG.49f1d1c10fb029547ec32d436b2e3dd7.JPG

an Australian rack of lamb, from D'artagnan.  On steam bake, around 425, for 16 minutes would have been perfect. I went 20, so it was a little more done than I like, but still nice and moist and flavorful.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:31 PM, rotuts said:

BTW on those Chem-Strips ?

I got them so long ago, ( and know bit about test strips )

I got them from the company , probably.

As the battle between Cheap and Frugal will always continue ...

I bought two containers , 50 strips / container.

much much cheaper on the shipping and they were less than priced these days.

Ive used 5 strips out of container # 1

just to be sure on the Brita and my Espresso machine

my tap water has not changed.    the readings out of the Brita have not changed

but I checked 5 times

I no longer bother.

O.o

and have not for quite some time.

My Hach strips arrived today.  Out of the tap my water measures about 250 ppm.  After the Mavea filter the water measures what looks like between 25 and 50 ppm.  Wonder what the ppm would be if the water were filtered twice?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

OK, I'm ready to put this on my wish list.  Keep in mind that I STILL haven't used my Anova, but I have high hopes of doing so soon.  Ironically, life has gotten in the way of me actually having a life. But Christmas is only 6 months away.  You can barely see through the window of my toaster oven, so I figure I'm due for a replacement 😉.  So, my question is: which model do I want?  Ta!

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

OK, I'm ready to put this on my wish list.  Keep in mind that I STILL haven't used my Anova, but I have high hopes of doing so soon.  Ironically, life has gotten in the way of me actually having a life. But Christmas is only 6 months away.  You can barely see through the window of my toaster oven, so I figure I'm due for a replacement 😉.  So, my question is: which model do I want?  Ta!

300N1 is the current US model I believe.  The 300N should work as well.  The 300 does not have a drain plug.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2018 at 12:35 AM, kayb said:

You  can order it directly from Lodge  here, for $26.75. But shipping is likely to eat you alive. I calculated shipping from their plant in South Pittsburg, TN, to Arkansas and it was going to run $6.99, and that's just one state away.

Hi Kay,

after shipping there would be no funds to put anything but cold water in that pan. I'm waiting them out. Best, J

Hi Rotuts,

International comparative Amazon shopping is not my long suit but here is a screenshot of Amazon Oz. I wouldn't mind that affordable and free shipping 12" model for the stove top.

You're a man of science and engineering: have you experimented with hydraulic jaws to increase the volume of the CSO?

Jack

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 1.29.14 pm.png

• Like 1

I seem to remember that you wanted the lid as well. If you added the cheapest lid with prime international free shipping would you hit the $49 level for free shipping? 

Although if it is too expensive that just leaves water in the pan as well...

On 6/24/2018 at 6:29 AM, robirdstx said:

While I was waiting for my CSO to arrive, as I said, I read this entire topic from the beginning and this post copied from the bottom of page 2 of the first part of this topic, written by Unpopular Poet, has me wanting to try his method the next time we have ribeyes. And the eggs, too.

“So....the ribeyes. I have to say that this steamer continues to wow me at home. I have never been a huge fan of the sous vide ribeye -- I have always thought that the pan cooked ribeye, when done perfectly, has a better texture. The sous vide ribeye's texture was just too tender for a ribeye -- maybe that makes sense to some, and not to others, but now let us discover the steamed ribeye. This steak was the perfect marriage of pan seared and sous vide -- I did both steaks for 120 minutes at 140 and then seared them for about 45 seconds a side in a scorching hot mineral pan with some clarified butter. The results, as you can see, speak for themselves. This steak was probably the best steak I have cooked at home in a long, long while. The fat was meltingly delicious and the meat was absurdly juicy -- more juicy than the sous vide steaks I have done in the past. For whatever reason, they lost a lot less juice than the sous vide steaks I have prepared. Either way, the photos are below. To answer the previous question -- 2 ribeyes were probably the max...that is unless you could create a layered level in the unit -- something that stacks perhaps, but leaves room for air.

To top things off, I steamed 2 sunny side up eggs this morning at 160-170 for about and hour and then served them on a 3 day old baguette -- which after it was sliced and toasted (following the steam cycle) was revitalized to something crispy and chewy, as if it had come out of the oven say, 6 hours ago, as opposed to 72 hours. The eggs were perfect -- nice yolks (with no run) and the whites were perfectly set to sustain a sandwich -- not messy, but not at all rubbery.”

Thanks for mentioning this.  I went back and re-read the whole Part I CSO thread.  Good stuff there!  

28 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you!!!  So, this one?

No, I'd go with the one that's sold and shipped from amazon.  Amazon's price is currently $237.01...

http://amzn.com/B01JRT2WOG

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kayb said:

Or you could wait until July 18 and see if it gets any lower on Prime Day.

...or it could go back up to $299.

I don't think the CSO was ever offered on PrimeDay

I might be mistaken on some very early PD's

I don't think Cuisi makes enough of them to  be offered other than

a one hour Lightning sale , should that sort of think exist.

15 hours ago, thurbers said:

I seem to remember that you wanted the lid as well. If you added the cheapest lid with prime international free shipping would you hit the $49 level for free shipping? 

Although if it is too expensive that just leaves water in the pan as well...

I found a good deal in Amazon Oz for a two-piece set (Lodge LCC3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Combo Cooker and  3.2-Quart Combo Cooker 10.25" Black) at $37 (two pieces for way less than for just the pan itself). Add the lid for  $27 and I thought I got a bargain including free shipping.

Thanks all for your help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

I found a good deal in Amazon Oz for a two-piece set (Lodge LCC3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Combo Cooker and  3.2-Quart Combo Cooker 10.25" Black) at $37 (two pieces for way less than for just the pan itself). Add the lid for  $27 and I thought I got a bargain including free shipping.

Let us know if it fits!

1 hour ago, FlashJack said:

I have that Lodge combo cooker.  It's a very useful pot.  Good for baking bread in a regular oven. But it won't fit in a CSO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have that Lodge combo cooker.  It's a very useful pot.  Good for baking bread in a regular oven. But it won't fit in a CSO.

I 2nd this.  I bought the L8SKL because the combo cooker won't fit the CSO - the handles make it too big. The combo cooker is a great pot in it's own right though, so hopefully you will find it useful.

Edited by jer_vic
more info (log)
  • Like 3

Looks like a hacksaw may solve the problem by trimming the tip of the handles.

With the L8SKL on the shelf in the bottom position is there enough height for the cover?

Has anyone tried the Lodge L8DD3 Double Dutch Oven in the CSO?

This model appears similar to the L8SKL but has loop handles on both sides of the lid and base.

40 minutes ago, Edward Dekker said:

Looks like a hacksaw may solve the problem by trimming the tip of the handles.

With the L8SKL on the shelf in the bottom position is there enough height for the cover?

Has anyone tried the Lodge L8DD3 Double Dutch Oven in the CSO?

This model appears similar to the L8SKL but has loop handles on both sides of the lid and base.

With the shelf on the bottom position there is space for the Lodge LCC3 Combo Cooker with its lid in place.

You'd need to cut off about an inch and a half or so of the handles, on a diagonal, to allow the CSO door to close.  

• Thanks 1