• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

BTW on those Chem-Strips ?

I got them so long ago, ( and know bit about test strips )

I got them from the company , probably.

As the battle between Cheap and Frugal will always continue ...

I bought two containers , 50 strips / container.

much much cheaper on the shipping and they were less than priced these days.

Ive used 5 strips out of container # 1

just to be sure on the Brita and my Espresso machine

my tap water has not changed.    the readings out of the Brita have not changed

but I checked 5 times

I no longer bother.

O.o

and have not for quite some time.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2017 at 2:56 PM, FauxPas said:

Looks like the same one - Old Stone Oven - might be available on Amazon US, currently with a coupon that lowers the price to $12.32 or so. :shock:

Also, an Aroma Bakeware stone looks similar, at $17.99. 

And this one, from Baking Stone. $16.99 

They get slightly mixed reviews, but the people that like them REALLY seem to like them a lot. 

Anyone have any thoughts on which one is a better choice? 

I have been re-reading all of the CSO threads and I was enabled to buy the Old Stone Oven baking stone.  

• Like 1

As noted above, probably a year or so ago I put together a spreadsheet of items, oven mode, times and temperatures from the CSO Threads Parts 1 and 2.  I have updated that with cookery from part 3.  I did not enter items with complicated recipes.  I have attached  an Excel Spreadsheet which my Apple computer generated from the Numbers Spreadsheet so hopefully it will open for everyone.

A "Numbers" document is not accepted.  If anyone wants the Numbers version just email me.

Convection-Steam Oven Cookery.xlsx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

As noted above, probably a year or so ago I put together a spreadsheet of items, oven mode, times and temperatures from the CSO Threads Parts 1 and 2.  I have updated that with cookery from part 3.  I did not enter items with complicated recipes.  I have attached  an Excel Spreadsheet which my Apple computer generated from the Numbers Spreadsheet so hopefully it will open for everyone.

A "Numbers" document is not accepted.  If anyone wants the Numbers version just email me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I am trying my oven out tonight  with chicken drumsticks.  Can anyone tell me if I follow the time and temperature as for bone-in thighs?  They are smaller than thighs so I guess I would decrease the time a bit?

• Like 1

@ElsieD

I high recommend you keep a ' journal '  of sorts 

of what you've tried in the CSO   works well also with th iPot.

then you can refer back and change things as your experience grows.

I have not done CkDrums so I can't say.

but you will love them on Steam-Bake as its forgiving.

I use parchment paper , rather than aluminum foil  as its easy for me to get locally.

pls post your results w of course Pic ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I am trying my oven out tonight  with chicken drumsticks.  Can anyone tell me if I follow the time and temperature as for bone-in thighs?  They are smaller than thighs so I guess I would decrease the time a bit?

That's what I would do--time/temp for thighs and check it about 15 mins earlier by taking the internal temp.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Sweet! And thanks again!

19 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Typical, unfortunately.  Be patient if you can.  Not long ago I purchased a Paderno colander from amazon for $73.58.  Immediately afterward the price increased and is currently $154.84.

Jo, at those prices I can wait them out for eternity. J

• Like 1

20 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

That's weird.  It's still showing a USD price of $15.04 sold by Amazon and no warning about low stock on the US site.

Camelcamelcamel shows that there have been a few periods (the dotted lines) where Amazon didn't have the item but it's not showing it out of stock at the moment.

Thank you for that. I didn't know about CamelCamelCamel. Thanks for doing the research.

Edited by FlashJack
typo (log)

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

search 

hach water quality test strips

https://www.hach.com/teststrips

the one for Calcium are  " total hardness "

this one :

https://www.amazon.com/Hach-2745250-Total-Hardness-Strip/dp/B007QQZL0U

Brita does a fine job of removing a huge amo0ut of Calcium

but is not allowed to market its filters as such

some sort of Graft and Corruption sponsored , maybe , by other water purifying firms

possible Culligan.   that was discussed here some time ago.   but I could be wrong about that.

amazon sells variants

Thanks, I ordered the Hach strips.  In addition to the CSO I want to know hardness for making dashi.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

21 minutes ago, FlashJack said:

Jo, at those prices I can wait them out for eternity. J

And I haven't used it yet.  Can't pass up a good price though.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Cooked my little drumsticks at 425 steam bake for 30 minutes.  Probably could have used a little less time.  They were very good, nice and moist.  But, here's the thing.  I was so excited to have these nicely cooked dummies with crispy skin I could have cried when I saw they were skinless.  So, no pic.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 7:49 PM, FlashJack said:

Well that didn't last long.

This morning I went to Amazon Australia to seal the deal on a Lodge pan and lid only to find that the price of the pan had gone from $21 to $83 because Amazon was no longer the seller. (see screenshot)

Is it likely that Amazon is simply out of stock and that if I'm patient they will restock and the price will reset?

Jack

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 85127 am.jpg

You  can order it directly from Lodge  here, for $26.75. But shipping is likely to eat you alive. I calculated shipping from their plant in South Pittsburg, TN, to Arkansas and it was going to run $6.99, and that's just one state away.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 hours ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD

I high recommend you keep a ' journal '  of sorts 

of what you've tried in the CSO   works well also with th iPot.

then you can refer back and change things as your experience grows.

I have not done CkDrums so I can't say.

but you will love them on Steam-Bake as its forgiving.

I use parchment paper , rather than aluminum foil  as its easy for me to get locally.

pls post your results w of course Pic ?

You forgot to say the notebook should be red.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 6/22/2018 at 1:38 PM, Shelby said:

I have been re-reading all of the CSO threads and I was enabled to buy the Old Stone Oven baking stone.  

So you just bought one? I'd be interested in knowing your experience with it. Thanks! 

I forgot all about this and have done nothing, but am still interested. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FauxPas said:

So you just bought one? I'd be interested in knowing your experience with it. Thanks! 

I forgot all about this and have done nothing, but am still interested. 

I'll keep you updated :)  It should be here early this week.

• Like 1

While I was waiting for my CSO to arrive, as I said, I read this entire topic from the beginning and this post copied from the bottom of page 2 of the first part of this topic, written by Unpopular Poet, has me wanting to try his method the next time we have ribeyes. And the eggs, too.

“So....the ribeyes. I have to say that this steamer continues to wow me at home. I have never been a huge fan of the sous vide ribeye -- I have always thought that the pan cooked ribeye, when done perfectly, has a better texture. The sous vide ribeye's texture was just too tender for a ribeye -- maybe that makes sense to some, and not to others, but now let us discover the steamed ribeye. This steak was the perfect marriage of pan seared and sous vide -- I did both steaks for 120 minutes at 140 and then seared them for about 45 seconds a side in a scorching hot mineral pan with some clarified butter. The results, as you can see, speak for themselves. This steak was probably the best steak I have cooked at home in a long, long while. The fat was meltingly delicious and the meat was absurdly juicy -- more juicy than the sous vide steaks I have done in the past. For whatever reason, they lost a lot less juice than the sous vide steaks I have prepared. Either way, the photos are below. To answer the previous question -- 2 ribeyes were probably the max...that is unless you could create a layered level in the unit -- something that stacks perhaps, but leaves room for air.

To top things off, I steamed 2 sunny side up eggs this morning at 160-170 for about and hour and then served them on a 3 day old baguette -- which after it was sliced and toasted (following the steam cycle) was revitalized to something crispy and chewy, as if it had come out of the oven say, 6 hours ago, as opposed to 72 hours. The eggs were perfect -- nice yolks (with no run) and the whites were perfectly set to sustain a sandwich -- not messy, but not at all rubbery.”

• Like 6