• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

@robirdstx

if they say not to use an oven , but a micro , it must be because the shell that holds the food is some sort of item that would melt

above temps close to boilings , it a 350 0ven

do they say you can use a regular over ?

if so , they are worried the items will be too close to the heating elements  i.e. a foster over.

you might try the oven temps is they allow that

with a tin foil loose tent abler the tray

and the bottom on the tray  , not just the plan rack , on the bottom

interesting question.  please let us know if the pakagaes allow a conventional over,

10 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

I am planning to retire my microwave, toaster oven and toaster when my CSO arrives. However,  my husband makes the occasional Marie Calendar’s Pot Pie and Stoffer’s Lasagna in the microwave and he is concerned about the time it takes to cook in a conventional oven. The boxes for these products say not use in a toaster oven. Since the CSO is so much more, I’m not concerned with that, but has anyone used the steam bake for these products? If so, how long did you cook it? 

Those items your husband makes in the m/w are so much better when made in the CSO that I always make them that way...I just allow for the extra time (have a beer while I wait).  Reduce the temps by about 25 degrees when using convection.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@robirdstx

if they say not to use an oven , but a micro , it must be because the shell that holds the food is some sort of item that would melt

above temps close to boilings , it a 350 0ven

do they say you can use a regular over ?

if so , they are worried the items will be too close to the heating elements  i.e. a foster over.

you might try the oven temps is they allow that

with a tin foil loose tent abler the tray

and the bottom on the tray  , not just the plan rack , on the bottom

interesting question.  please let us know if the pakagaes allow a conventional over,

Yes, they allow cooking in a conventional oven.

then you will be fine if you tent the top

and possible put the item on the rack , possible on the tray to buffer the lower

heat elements.

Id use steam-bake , as mentioned , 250 less than recommended for a conventional over

are these the kind of things that have a plastic film on them that tell you to puncture a few holes in first

then remove and add more time ?

Im sure you will figure it out.

after all , you are not going to brown the top in the Micro

Im very curous how this works out.

im very curious how the MC's pies are.

I grew up where there was a one point a MC restaurant.

we got pies from them and they were made there.

way before Agra-Con bought the label

never got to try the pot pies for some reason.

this was in the '70's and ' 80s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Callender's

and boy to I love Pie

dessert or Pot.

@robirdstx

Oooooo

reviewing 

Ooooooooooo

you didn't just get 300N1

but

300N1C  !!

suprise.gif.99d108f0e13dea0509f0537c0c8a44ee.gif

money-mouth.gif.de2c929bda45d9a1f1b523effd3ed082.gif

I thin k their customer service is very fine.

Ive called them a few time along ago

you will indeed enjoy  the CSO(B) immensely 

just go back

do a steam clean

I like Brita Water

then get some CkThighs 

after you see the various repots here

just understand 

the pan that comes with is does not have high walls

done let anyone take it out while full of hot fat

especially children

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

I ordered the CSO-300N but this is what I got:

3CF5CB48-7AE0-4024-8E2D-4F347B05A048.thumb.jpeg.af7ecc9af33eb0983be5d27310087429.jpeg

Same thing or different?

I googled both the 300N  and N1 and only got information on the 300 and 300N. I’m assuming they are the same.  Wonder which N will show up at my door???

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 1

something important about the CSO :

there is a small tray on the bottom , which slides out from the front.

it collets condensation from steam cooking

don't forget to pull it out and clean it from time to time

and even more importantly

put it back in as soon as you can or you will forget.

and note that the steam comes out the series of small holes in the back

you don't want that steam under your Bespoke cabinets

unless or course you've got better in mind

enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, robirdstx said:

I am planning to retire my microwave, toaster oven and toaster when my CSO arrives. However,  my husband makes the occasional Marie Calendar’s Pot Pie and Stouffer’s Lasagna in the microwave and he is concerned about the time it takes to cook in a conventional oven. The boxes for these products say not use in a toaster oven. Since the CSO is so much more, I’m not concerned with that, but has anyone used the steam bake for these products? If so, how long did you cook it? 

I've used it for those kinds of things. Have eggplant canneloni in there baking as we speak. It takes a little longer than the microwave. I kept my microwave (the CSO sits atop it). I use it mostly for melting butter, and occasionally heating water or making instant noodles, etc.

Convection bake is a fine thing for crunchy snacks you might have once thought of deep frying.

• Thanks 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 6/19/2018 at 11:00 PM, Shelby said:

Hello Jack!

Yes, I have the L8SKL Lodge pan and it fits.  I don't have the lid, though.  

You will love the Lodge pan.  I use mine a LOT.

Thank you Shelby. I'd like a lid to be able to not over-brown some long-cooked things. I'd like a casserole with the diameter of the L8SKL but  deeper. I look and sigh at my large Staubs that fit in the old oven.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

How well does the steam clean feature work?

Quite well. I run it, then take the rack out and wipe the interior with a paper towel. Done.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@robirdstx,

I cook pot pies marked "do not prepare in toaster oven" frequently in the CSO. I put it on the pan that came with that I've lived with foil. I also fashion a pie shield out of narrow strips of foil so the rim of the crust doesn't get too brown and have to be thrown away. Wish I had lined the pan with foil when I cooked lemon pepper wings the other day. The citric acid in the lemon pepper seems to have left stains I can't get out, but it's a cooking pan, not an objet d'art. xD

I like the steam clean function, but you are going to have to wipe it out afterward, and since it's just water, it doesn't really cut grease, so if I've cooked something like chicken or pork chops I'll wipe off as much grease as I can before starting steam clean as well.

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <