• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

guess Im going to have to try one

once the next sale chimes  in

what would be a good size Ck for the CSO ?

and what times / temps have people found to be successful ?

The chickens we buy are usually around 4 lbs.  I do mine by the book, too--450F.  I start checking the internal temp at around 35 minutes--they always cook faster than I think.  Be sure and do the foil tent thing or else the top gets way too done.  I'm too lazy to turn my chicken around so it stays in the same position the whole time. :$

• Like 3

how much ' jus ' do you get in the lower pan ?

I have a black pan that is the same size but deeper than the pan that came with it.

Ill try to remember to use that one and line w parchment paper

and I have to get more PC soon.

Just now, rotuts said:

how much ' jus ' do you get in the lower pan ?

I have a black pan that is the same size but deeper than the pan that came with it.

Ill try to remember to use that one and line w parchment paper

and I have to get more PC soon.

I use the pan that came with the CSO and cover it with foil.  I've never had an overflow happen.

• Like 1

My chicken was a smidge under 4 pounds. There seemed to be no likelihood of an overflow in the pan.  Like Shelby I cooked by the book.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

True confessions here.  I do love my CSO!  So much that I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I bought a back-up.  I saw people talking about electronics going out on the Breville ovens and I started to get worried it might happen to my CSO, my most frequently used small appliance. Since Cuisinart isn't exactly promoting the heck out of them, I was afraid I might not be able to replace it if something happened.  A couple of weeks ago, I saw an Amazon warehouse "used" CSO for $199 so I bit the bullet and ordered.  Since it was a return, I put it through its paces and it seems to work just fine.  Now, I can't decide whether to use the new one (it's so shiny :D!) or keep on with the old one.   Either way, my anxiety levels have been reduced without resorting to medication or even more expensive therapy xD!

• Like 3

@blue_dolphin

congratulations !

i also have a CSO back up

a long time ago I posted a pic on top of the one I use

I got the original CSO for 179 , free shipping from WS. !

then I noticed a sale somewhere for # 2  ( the newer model )  for 205  delivered

I  snapped it up.

I have not run both at the same time.

but if CSO #1  kicks the bucket , Im in good shape.

fingers crossed !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

True confessions here.  I do love my CSO!  So much that I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I bought a back-up.  I saw people talking about electronics going out on the Breville ovens and I started to get worried it might happen to my CSO, my most frequently used small appliance. Since Cuisinart isn't exactly promoting the heck out of them, I was afraid I might not be able to replace it if something happened.  A couple of weeks ago, I saw an Amazon warehouse "used" CSO for $199 so I bit the bullet and ordered.  Since it was a return, I put it through its paces and it seems to work just fine.  Now, I can't decide whether to use the new one (it's so shiny :D!) or keep on with the old one.   Either way, my anxiety levels have been reduced without resorting to medication or even more expensive therapy xD!

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin

congratulations !

i also have a CSO back up

a long time ago I posted a pic on top of the one I use

I got the original CSO for 179 , free shipping from WS. !

then I noticed a sale somewhere for # 2  ( the newer model )  for 205  delivered

I  snapped it up.

I have not run both at the same time.

but if CSO #1  kicks the bucket , Im in good shape.

fingers crossed !

You both are so smart to have two.  I've wrestled with doing the same.  This is where I could easily be enabled to pull the trigger.

My big oven has died.  The burners still work, but the oven does not.  I have to figure out whether to fix this one or purchase a new one.

I'd be completely screwed if my CSO bit the dust, too. 

• Like 1

@Shelby

I have a mid-lever gas GE ' range '

the igniter for the oven stopped working quite some time ago

at that time , the replacement part was $ 14.95 , minimal shipping.

I found a place near buy that would fix it , I gave them all the part numbers  etc

total bill $ 195.

nope.   I wasn't going to do that.   I have minor back issues , but back in the day I would have easily fixed it w the part

OK , some MR hydration might have been necessary , maybe a lot

I see this now as a mistake of sorts.

Id love to have a high quality electric range w and induction top  

and an oven that was a Combi  

of course , with reservoirs and not plumbed in

P.I is a pain in the Darry Air

Miele  has a very high end  induction top and electric oven , 

you can plumb it in for its auto bread Fx

but its not a complete Combi.

I can afford it , 

and it would be a Sl pain for getting an electrician to add more amps to the kitchen 

and the Miele

why have I not done this ?

the Nano-Second the project get completed

I gar-rout-teeee   M will have a complete Combi version.

is you do not want to move to Induction

and your range is not that old

get it fixed.

maybe you know someone that can fix the igniter ?

• Like 1

re:  CSO

look around for sales , and set your ' strike ' price and get

as ssecond

if your personal economics can manage it.

Im so surprised that BV  made the larger  Air fryer

which is not cheap at all

and completely missed the Combi aspects of an oven

Anova has it Wind-fall , and good for them

but they seem to have lost all interest in their Anova Combi-Oven

Bora-Bora  will do that to you.

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

I have a mid-lever gas GE ' range '

the igniter for the oven stopped working quite some time ago

at that time , the replacement part was $ 14.95 , minimal shipping.

I found a place near buy that would fix it , I gave them all the part numbers  etc

total bill $ 195.

nope.   I wasn't going to do that.   I have minor back issues , but back in the day I would have easily fixed it w the part

OK , some MR hydration might have been necessary , maybe a lot

I see this now as a mistake of sorts.

Id love to have a high quality electric range w and induction top  

and an oven that was a Combi  

of course , with reservoirs and not plumbed in

P.I is a pain in the Darry Air

Miele  has a very high end  induction top and electric oven , 

you can plumb it in for its auto bread Fx

but its not a complete Combi.

I can afford it , 

and it would be a Sl pain for getting an electrician to add more amps to the kitchen 

and the Miele

why have I not done this ?

the Nano-Second the project get completed

I gar-rout-teeee   M will have a complete Combi version.

is you do not want to move to Induction

and your range is not that old

get it fixed.

maybe you know someone that can fix the igniter ?

The problem with my oven is the electronic board (it's been wonky for about a year, but I could always get it to work if I gave to top of the stove a good whack...that doesn't work anymore.  It goes to an F1 failure) --which I can replace myself.  I think lol.  

I've been wanting a different stove for quite a while...but then again I don't want to spend the $$$$

To get us back on topic here...if I fixed my stove myself I could justify buying a 2nd CSO.......hmmmmm.....

• Thanks 1

Fix the stove

follow the CSO price some how

and then Punch the button

some time ago

the cheapest price was Costco  for $ 250

based on what I paid

that's a case of M.R. !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have a backup too.  Thinking about getting back up for back up if the price is right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not the CSO, but another steam oven. One if the video (and if the dimensions listed for the up purchase  accessory rack  are correct it is slightly wider and taller than the CSO. 

So I was channel flipping and this was up on Evine.

Todd English 1500 Watt Digital Multi Function Steam Oven

One interesting thing claimed in the presentation is that the oven has a system to cool down the steam so you can put it under cabinet. I wouldn't count on that until reading the directions, but that would solve some placement problems for those with steam oven envy and no where to place it. 

Edited by thurbers
trying to reference link without showing it. (log)

@thurbers

very interesting  

it seems to be sold by a fly-by-night outlet

Dimensions

• 14"L x 26-1/4"W x 13-3/4"H (26.15 lbs)

they don't tell you the inner dimensions , and the above data make it larger than the CSO external dimentions

26 1/4 make no sense for W , so  not a lot of effort has gone into the presentation.

I can say for sure , but this looks like a ' call before midnight for savings ' sort of place.

and personally , Id not touch anything w ToddE's name on it.

with a long pole or anything else.

but that's just me.

I just noticed the extra rack dimensions 

this would fit a 1/4 sheet pan

but the whole gestalt looks cheap and flimsy

then I might be wrong.

Evine is the post network sale version of ShopNBC.  It was GE/NBC  attempting to enter the home shopping network market to compete with QVC and HSN. And it has always been a distant third. And TE doesn't do much for me either. I just thought it was interesting they went in this direction. Admittedly they do seem to go for niche market items,. Their other celebrity chef Paula Deen  has a knock off of the Puck pressure oven and a weird take off of a Bosch Universal Mixer. English has both a Phillips pasta machine knock off AND a vacuum sealing blender. So it may not be entirely out there for them to knock off the couple of countertop  home steam ovens  out there. 

OR it might be a sign that the steam oven is becoming more main stream and we might see a CSO, or a steam oven from another reputable brand,   with a larger interior. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

@thurbers

thanks for this info

TE and PD are birds of a similar feather , or more like  reptiles w similar scales.

anything for a buck ?

but it is true this is a larger oven

so the Gang in China at least did some thinking.

the Anova Steam Oven ?

love to see it if they ever make it.

they are at least a year late so hard to say.

6FE41999-7CB5-4DC0-9ACE-543E627726DF.thumb.jpeg.92679426fce074ac5b25faa4dcf6b739.jpeg

This was a bit of an experiment so I thought I would share it. I had a leftover piece of chicken and a leftover smashed potato which I wanted to re-heat for my dinner last night. But I also wanted something green. The night before I had steamed the broccoli separately in the microwave. Last night I put it on the plate,  raw, to see what might happen. The plate (enamelled cast iron) was placed into the  Cuisinart steam oven and cook for 20 minutes at 350°F on the steam/bake function. Nothing came out of the oven as perfectly as it might have done had I had the time and energy to do things separately. But on the other hand everything was perfectly acceptable and for someone who was tired and grumpy it worked.  I have had far worse meals made by myself and by others.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

that looks delicious and a bit Chef-ey

why not ?

Id send you a Kudos from me and after taking it over with MC

one from him

pleased the plate is not plastic !

it does look like it

(enamelled cast iron)

thank your for that clarification.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

My first cooking experience with the steam girl was back in January, 2014.

And after 4.33 years, I am hearing a funny noise when the convection fan kicks on (sometimes I like funny noises; in this case, not really). It sounds as if the fan is ready to buy the farm.

I've probably used the oven hundreds of times, so I really can't be that aggravated at the per use cost, can I?

And I think I'll just basically buy a new one...unless Breville has decided to add steam! 

• Sad 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm lighting a yahrzeit candle. But I don't want to jump the gun; I may just keep using her until something bad happens (does anyone think something bad will happen?).

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I'm lighting a yahrzeit candle. But I don't want to jump the gun; I may just keep using her until something bad happens (does anyone think something bad will happen?).

Only if you attempt to cook with candles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog