• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

I suspect I would die if my CSO bit the dust. I damn-sho know I'd order another one ASAP. I use it just about daily.

Good to know there's a three-year warranty. Mine seems to be plugging along happily.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I suspect I would die if my CSO bit the dust. I damn-sho know I'd order another one ASAP. I use it just about daily.

Good to know there's a three-year warranty. Mine seems to be plugging along happily.

I'm with you, sister!  Fortunately the fan in mine made that horrible whine just once.  I used convection bake to put another layer of polymerization on my L-CSO last night, no problems.  (Unlike with my wretched computer case fans...but the CSO incident prompted me to order replacement fans for those!)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 1/12/2018 at 1:32 AM, rotuts said:

does anyone know of a decent quality BuntPan that would fit in the CSO ?

I think even some of the full-size ones would fit inside the CSO actually, though I haven't cooked anything in a bundt pan for some time. Depending on how big of a cake you want to make, you can use a 1.5 L (6 cup), 2.1 L (9 cup) or 3 L (12 cup). 

. I can't speak to the quality of this Nordicware 6 cup one, but it would easily fit inside both the CSO and the Instant Pot. Several reviews mention using it in the Instant Pot. So it could do double duty for you, ha! Just make sure you prep the pan right to avoid sticking. And I think most recipes would be divided in half. 

I just tested.  My full size Nordic Ware bundt pan fits comfortably in the CSO.  It never occurred to me to bake a bundt cake in the CSO.

Edit:  I think if I had the 6 cup version I might bake in it more often.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 2

They are all over the place in terms of depth, that's what makes it tricky to guess capacity by diameter. I see some varying from 3 inches to 4.75 inches deep. I'm guessing a 9.5 inch one would usually be 9 cups or so, but would obviously hold more if it's a deep pan. 

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

They are all over the place in terms of depth, that's what makes it tricky to guess capacity by diameter. I see some varying from 3 inches to 4.75 inches deep. I'm guessing a 9.5 inch one would usually be 9 cups or so, but would obviously hold more if it's a deep pan. 

This might help.  Might need to scroll down. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:33 PM, jer_vic said:

Hi!  This is my first post to eGullets.  I found the site when looking for info on peoples experiences with the recipes in Modernist Bread.  I've really been enjoying reading that thread, and this one here (and it's earlier incarnations). That lead to my recent (last week) purchase of a CSO (yes, I'm blaming you guys for that).

So far, it's been good.  Toast is fine, poached eggs were good,  as were chicken wings.  So yesterday I thought I'd try bread.  And had a few problems.  I used the Country Rye recipe from Tartine Breads (x 1.5, to make 3 loaves).  One I cooked in the CSO, the other 2 in the combo cooker in the oven.  The combo cooker ones were fine (could have left them a couple more minutes to deep the colour, but the temp. was good - see pics).

The one in the CSO....

So I:

1) Preheated the oven with the pan in it to 450F using the convection bake setting.

2) Turned out my dough onto a piece of parchment paper, and slid that onto the hot pan.

3) Cooked the bread on the Bread setting for 40 minutes at 450F.

At the very start, this nozzle (for back of a better word) on the right side upper part of the oven started burping water drops (large drops)

intermittently onto my bread!  This does not seem right.  Later, I did a steam clean cycle, and noticed more water burping.  (see oven pic with nozzle circled in red below).

At 30 minutes, the top was getting dark, so I put a piece of tin foil on it.

At 35 minutes, I pulled it out and checked the temp.  190F.  Put it back in for the remaining 5 minutes, and pulled it out.  Looks underdone, and doesn't

look like it rose enough (see pics).

Any suggestions?  Why the liquid water burping out of what I assume is the steam nozzle?  Advice on bread?  Lower temp, longer time?

thanks in advance....

Jer

eg_cso_oven.jpg

eg_cso_1.jpg

eg_cso_2.jpg

eg_cso_3.jpg

eg_combo_cooker.jpg

@jer_vic I have another thought!  (Forgive me, I suffer them from time to time.)  Tonight I was rereading MB Vol.3 to accompany my mai tai.  This quote leapt out at me: "What may look like beads of sweat on the loaf are actually dew drops." (p3-284).  This applies to baking with a steam oven.

Could this be what you are seeing?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@jer_vic I have another thought!  (Forgive me, I suffer them from time to time.)  Tonight I was rereading MB Vol.3 to accompany my mai tai.  This quote leapt out at me: "What may look like beads of sweat on the loaf are actually dew drops." (p3-284).  This applies to baking with a steam oven.

Could this be what you are seeing?

@JoNorvelleWalker: No, I don't think so.  I literally saw water spitting out of the nozzle in the picture, and falling onto the bread.  Mind you, there seems to be less of that happening now, so maybe it is just "breaking in"?  I'll have to try another loaf and see....

17 minutes ago, jer_vic said:

@JoNorvelleWalker: No, I don't think so.  I literally saw water spitting out of the nozzle in the picture, and falling onto the bread.  Mind you, there seems to be less of that happening now, so maybe it is just "breaking in"?  I'll have to try another loaf and see....

Oh well.  Did the drops of water hurt the bread?

• Like 1

Do I have an issue with my Steam Girl??

The other day I cooked up 4 chicken thighs, on the steam bake setting.  After 20 minutes, they were sitting in a pool of liquid, at least 1/2" high.  This is not the first time that's happened recently, when cooking stuff on steam/bake.

My CSO is 4 years old, and has seen a lot of use.  I'm wondering if it is malfunctioning; and if so, has it bought the farm?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I used my Lodge skillet last night to make scalloped potatoes.  I love that I can take it from stovetop to the CSO.  I peeled russet taters and sliced them on the mandoline.  I buttered my skillet and then layered the taters in...sprinkling with salt and pepper and a bit of flour over each layer.  Then I poured in some heavy cream and let it simmer until the taters were soft and most of the cream is absorbed.  Sprinkled with sharp cheddar and finished in the CSO at 350F until browned and bubbly.

Before entering the CSO

IMG_4008.jpg.383509f961aa0f5e61f887cec49e360d.jpg

• Like 5

@Shelby

Nice !

next time consider not peeling the taters, as long as the skin is ' clean '

a huge a mount of flavor in the skin I think.

or put 1/2 peeled in onside of true pan , and 1/2 unpeeled in the other and

then see if you can taste the difference.

and BTW  " less work "

money-mouth.gif.4387214bc6727b065334c415d721f1bf.gif

• Like 2

@Shelby, I make a gratin similar but without the addition of flour.  I let the potatoes simmer in a pot with cream, with a garlic clove and some fresh thyme, until the starch from the potatoes thickens the cream and then into the oven.

That lodge pan is perfect for so many things.   I've been using it as roasting pan.  I haven't turned on my big oven in two months.   Not since I started using the CSO.  Thank you again for your recommendation.  I know a half a dozen people now that have gone out and bought one since I got mine.  And I think all of them were under the mistaken thought that they did not need or have room for another countertop oven.   And now they don't know how they lived with out it. :D

This morning I warmed up a piece of leftover pizza for Moe in the CSO, on the stone, but not preheated.  Bake steam setting and in 6 minutes it was bubbling hot and Moe said it tasted just like it did last night.   Normally I just threw out leftover pizza since I'm not a fan of leftovers.

5a66177233337_BatardJanuary21st20181.thumb.jpg.750c16ce7feb9ef0c74a5f5189f08eab.jpg

Used the other half of the dough for a Batard.  Baked on the Bread setting for 30 minutes.   The stone was preheated on the convection setting first.    And I find that if I turn the oven down to 425°F instead of the 450°F that I don't have to worry about the top getting too brown or burnt.  

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...