• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

I love this little oven.

I've never cared for leftovers.  But I used the steam setting to warm up sliced ham and the ham was so moist. Didn't seem at all like leftovers.

5a4f8c5218ca5_Baguettesfrom4dayolddoughJanuary4th2018.thumb.jpg.71e90045612a44809a01cdb12a556d6c.jpg

Baked four small baguettes last night. Dough was from Monday.

Was able to fit two baguettes on the stone I bought. 

• Like 5

So, as the guy (moi) who started this topic over 4 years ago...I have a little problem (albeit, first world stuff).

And that's that the CSO (aka steam girl) doesn't really fit into our new kitchen design without intruding into the space in an "I'm so big, look at me" sort of way. 

On the side with the long counter, the depth is only 21". So she practically juts out to the edge of the counter, or at least appears to. And I already plan on having Rocky & Silvia occupy space on that side.

On the side with the appliances, sink, and butcher block, the butcher block is only 39" wide, and I'm wondering if she occupies too much real estate there as well, especially since there's where I plan on doing prep, not on the butcher block, but on a cutting board.

5a4f8cf329bd2_2018_01_0505073.thumb.JPG.0e67ccb452f2c0e56b42cf6722eaf402.JPG 

So - do you think she is ready for retirement? Or maybe she moves to one of the roll-out shelves, to be brought out when needed as a countertop oven only (I would then get a different toaster).  What do you all think?

• Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 minutes ago, weinoo said:

So, as the guy (moi) who started this topic over 4 years ago...I have a little problem (albeit, first world stuff).

And that's that the CSO (aka steam girl) doesn't really fit into our new kitchen design without intruding into the space in an "I'm so big, look at me" sort of way. 

On the side with the long counter, the depth is only 21". So she practically juts out to the edge of the counter, or at least appears to. And I already plan on having Rocky & Silvia occupy space on that side.

On the side with the appliances, sink, and butcher block, the butcher block is only 39" wide, and I'm wondering if she occupies too much real estate there as well, especially since there's where I plan on doing prep, not on the butcher block, but on a cutting board.

So - do you think she is ready for retirement? Or maybe she moves to one of the roll-out shelves, to be brought out when needed as a countertop oven only (I would then get a different toaster).  What do you all think?

I think she looks totally fine right there.

If you love your steam girl as much as I love my steam boy, there is no way she's going on the shelf.

• Like 3

I know - she's kinda OK on that side, because it's all stainless, and on the other side...wood.  So maybe she should just go into hiding when I really need all the extra space, like for dinner parties, etc.  

• Like 5

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@weinoo

""   the CSO (aka steam girl) doesn't really fit into our new kitchen design ""

rip the whole thing out and start again from scratch

pay attention this time 

and include one of these :

https://usa.unox.com/en/5-gn1-1-plus

or these :

https://usa.unox.com/en/professional-combi-oven-cheftop

any of them would work.

suprise.gif.a4c9e52db590e3e20199c33eca46cc69.gif

PS  I learned of these Combi Ovens as I saw one on A Chef's Life.

It seems Chef Vivian as a large model in her restaurant  " The Chef and the farmer "

consider episo0de 508  on Trout

a screen shot for review purposes only :

Combi.thumb.jpg.15196049cf8498ba86d6f9be16728a46.jpg

watch the show.

however , I don't advise it because you won't be able to get these Combi ovens out of your mind.

money-mouth.gif.945382b5a350c95c2444b2f444b18aba.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

still plenty of time for a Re-Do.

BTW

these two would also be nice :

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Vesuvius-Dual-Boiler-with-Pressure-Profiling-p/vesuvius-sst.htm

along with

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Compak-E6-EOD-Grinder-p/e6.htm

maybe start roast ring your Own ?

https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/aillio-bullet-r1-roaster

watch the videos at the bottom of the page 

done.

• Like 1

I have a similar issue with my little oven.  No real place for it.  It was back in the pantry on the counter and I went back there when I needed for something quick.  When I wanted to really 'cook' in it, I brought it out and put it on my counter (I have a lot of counter space).  But I moved it to a similar spot to what you have weinoo and I find I use it a lot, lot more.  I push it back into the corner when I am not using it and move it to the counter edge when using it so it clears the upper cabinets.   That could work for you but I see a switch in the corner.   Hummmm.  Could you lift it up onto the ss shelf above where it sits now and just move it down when you use it.  It's not too heavy if you are tall enough.  I guess it really depends on how much you use it and would you use it less if it were to be put away.  Tough decision.  But maybe try leaving it out and see how it works.

I'd suggest trying the same sideways arrangement that @Okanagancook suggested.  I have mine in a similar corner (photo in this post upthread) and there is ample room for me to reach between the oven and the wall outlet so I would think you could access that switch OK. 

I'm OK with putting baby in the a corner but as my most used appliance she's earned a spot on the counter for sure xD!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

maybe start roast ring your Own ?

You know, I was roasting my own 6-7 years ago, for a while. But when the hallway started to smell like Starbucks, I gave it up!

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

That could work for you but I see a switch in the corner.   Hummmm.  Could you lift it up onto the ss shelf above where it sits now and just move it down when you use it.  It's not too heavy if you are tall enough.  

Yeah - that switch is the dimmer for the LED lights under the shelves.  And while I used to be able to lift something like the CSO up to that shelf, ever since I had 2 surgeries (one for a torn rotator cuff/torn bicep, that I most likely got from both kneading 100% rye and manually grinding way too much coffee, and the other for a C4/C5 discectomy - it's great getting older, isn't it?), that ain't happening!

58 minutes ago, rotuts said:

move it over to the L side of the wood slab when not in use.

I will try that as soon as it cools down from reheating my lunch :D

But I like to put my cutting board on that slab, and since my left hand is my knife hand, it might all be problematic.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@weinoo

you can change those plus if you are good w wire-cutters , wire snippers and a screw driver

ive done that before but don't need to w the CSB

unlikely you will fine the exact plug at HDepo  but easily at an electrical supply outlet.

make sure the new plug does exactly what you want it to do first

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

It might be tight but you could fit two side by side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@weinoo, like others here, I love my CSO so much that I could never relegate it to a shelf. I use it far too often! I'm so glad that you started the thread on the CSO here, as it gave me the info I needed to make the purchase myself a bit later. And as I recall, you were very patient and kind in replying to some of my dumb questions via message as well. I thank you for that. And maybe I should blame you that I have now purchased three (3!) of these, ha. xD

In your new kitchen, I think I would try to make the CSO work on the stainless steel counter, so that you have lots of prep room on the butcher block. But it's hard to visualize it without a photo, does it really not fit on the stainless steel or is it just a bit bulky? Don't you have a bit of counter on the right side of your sink? I need to go back to your kitchen photos. I guess you have already considered all the options. 

If all else failed, I would leave it on the butcher block, store the cutting board behind it or beside it. Move it over to the right a bit to allow for working on the left side of the butcher block to accommodate your cutting style, if necessary. 

Edited by FauxPas
to add missing word (log)
  • Like 2

Hi!  This is my first post to eGullets.  I found the site when looking for info on peoples experiences with the recipes in Modernist Bread.  I've really been enjoying reading that thread, and this one here (and it's earlier incarnations). That lead to my recent (last week) purchase of a CSO (yes, I'm blaming you guys for that).

So far, it's been good.  Toast is fine, poached eggs were good,  as were chicken wings.  So yesterday I thought I'd try bread.  And had a few problems.  I used the Country Rye recipe from Tartine Breads (x 1.5, to make 3 loaves).  One I cooked in the CSO, the other 2 in the combo cooker in the oven.  The combo cooker ones were fine (could have left them a couple more minutes to deep the colour, but the temp. was good - see pics).

The one in the CSO....

So I:

1) Preheated the oven with the pan in it to 450F using the convection bake setting.

2) Turned out my dough onto a piece of parchment paper, and slid that onto the hot pan.

3) Cooked the bread on the Bread setting for 40 minutes at 450F.

At the very start, this nozzle (for back of a better word) on the right side upper part of the oven started burping water drops (large drops)

intermittently onto my bread!  This does not seem right.  Later, I did a steam clean cycle, and noticed more water burping.  (see oven pic with nozzle circled in red below).

At 30 minutes, the top was getting dark, so I put a piece of tin foil on it.

At 35 minutes, I pulled it out and checked the temp.  190F.  Put it back in for the remaining 5 minutes, and pulled it out.  Looks underdone, and doesn't

look like it rose enough (see pics).

Any suggestions?  Why the liquid water burping out of what I assume is the steam nozzle?  Advice on bread?  Lower temp, longer time?

thanks in advance....

Jer

eg_cso_oven.jpg

eg_cso_1.jpg

eg_cso_2.jpg

eg_cso_3.jpg

eg_combo_cooker.jpg

• Like 2

Just dropping a note here:

I can't make biscuits worth a darn....well, I have made decent ones before but it's always hit and miss.  Anyway, I hosted a brunch and wanted full-proof biscuits so I bought Grands frozen ones.  I put them (in frozen form) on the pan on parchment.  Baked them at 375F using the Steam Bake setting for 18 minutes.  Turned out perfect.

IMG_3971.JPG.a86b608e855cd2838623730ffe335c54.JPG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jer_vic said:

Hi!  This is my first post to eGullets.  I found the site when looking for info on peoples experiences with the recipes in Modernist Bread.  I've really been enjoying reading that thread, and this one here (and it's earlier incarnations). That lead to my recent (last week) purchase of a CSO (yes, I'm blaming you guys for that).

So far, it's been good.  Toast is fine, poached eggs were good,  as were chicken wings.  So yesterday I thought I'd try bread.  And had a few problems.  I used the Country Rye recipe from Tartine Breads (x 1.5, to make 3 loaves).  One I cooked in the CSO, the other 2 in the combo cooker in the oven.  The combo cooker ones were fine (could have left them a couple more minutes to deep the colour, but the temp. was good - see pics).

The one in the CSO....

So I:

1) Preheated the oven with the pan in it to 450F using the convection bake setting.

2) Turned out my dough onto a piece of parchment paper, and slid that onto the hot pan.

3) Cooked the bread on the Bread setting for 40 minutes at 450F.

At the very start, this nozzle (for back of a better word) on the right side upper part of the oven started burping water drops (large drops)

intermittently onto my bread!  This does not seem right.  Later, I did a steam clean cycle, and noticed more water burping.  (see oven pic with nozzle circled in red below).

At 30 minutes, the top was getting dark, so I put a piece of tin foil on it.

At 35 minutes, I pulled it out and checked the temp.  190F.  Put it back in for the remaining 5 minutes, and pulled it out.  Looks underdone, and doesn't

look like it rose enough (see pics).

Any suggestions?  Why the liquid water burping out of what I assume is the steam nozzle?  Advice on bread?  Lower temp, longer time?

thanks in advance....

Jer

eg_cso_oven.jpg

eg_cso_1.jpg

eg_cso_2.jpg

eg_cso_3.jpg

eg_combo_cooker.jpg

Welcome to eGullet @jer_vic

Forget the "bread" setting.  Follow the method on page 5-297, the one called "Fancy Steam Toaster Oven".  The method seems counter-intuitive but it really works.  Though rather than using the CSO supplied stainless steel pan some of us have been having great success using a Lodge L8SKL cast iron pan.  The L8SKL just fits in the CSO.  On these pages you may see the L8SKL referred to as L-CSO.

I can't help with the dripping steam.  Possibly your unit is defective?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I've found I have to adjust the temp. In the CSO due to the convection,  Reducing by 25 degrees has worked the best.

Previously my cookies, breads and biscuits were over-browning.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

nice

Im on to this tomorrow.

which ones did you get ?

IMG_3972.JPG.b1961328c691cd4386a6338c0ac87a5b.JPG

For test purposes I baked only 2 the first time and the time/temp/setting worked perfect with just 2 and as many as the 11 shown in the picture (I had 2 bags of biscuits just in case they were needed).