• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:58 AM, rotuts said:

how can fined a Comal for the CSB(O ) ?

I bought this one from Amazon.  I use it mostly for naan.

Don't know that it would fit in the CSO, however.

This one is a bit smaller, it might fit.

Edited by lindag (log)

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker  

I was thinking of adding a few additional layers of flaxseed seasoning to the L-CSO

do you think they would bond to what ever the L-CSO came with ?

I have little experience with non-enameled cast iron.  I'm sure many here could answer.  But for what it's worth I gave the Lodge a layer of grapeseed oil yesterday and I plan another layer for today.  Grapeseed because that is what I have.

Even if someone tells me Lodge's pre-seasoning is terrible I have no intention of trying to remove it.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I bought this one from Amazon.  I use it mostly for naan.

Don't know that it would fit in the CSO, however.

This one is a bit smaller, it might fit.

There is this 9.25 Inch Round Handleless Serving Griddle:

http://shop.lodgemfg.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=C6629D59447547B09E221DFEBB13F890

I can't find the weight though I doubt it would have the thermal mass of the L-CSO*.

*a.k.a. L8SKL

• Like 1

Another CSO possibility is the Lodge Double Dutch:

https://shop.lodgemfg.com/dutch-ovens/5-quart-cast-iron-double-dutch-oven.asp

The lid -- which is designed to function as a skillet -- appears similar to, though not the same as, the L-CSO.  The bottom might fit in the CSO as well.

Who will take one for the team?

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Made pizza last night from dough that had been in the fridge since Friday.  Enough leftover to bake another little  loaf in the CSO . 

I hope the larger stone will arrive this week so I can bake longer loaves. 

5a25472507abc_December3rdbakeddoughfromDecember1st1.thumb.jpg.32a6f6203a8d61ed27c2dc7d25584c3f.jpg

Does a nice job on the crust without having to spray or toss ice cubes into the bottom of the oven.

5a25472c3159f_December3rdbakeddoughfromDecember1stslicedDecember4th20171.thumb.jpg.49027fb6233825464f7141372041ade2.jpg

Slice this morning.

• Like 5

On 03/12/2017 at 2:35 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sur La Table has an 11.5 x 11.5 x 0.25 inch baking steel that probably would fit.

I don't think this would fit.  The 11.5 would fit the width but I think the depth would have to be 10.25 maximum to fit the shape of the rack.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 11:23 AM, rotuts said:

@Shelby

I think its going to be more that 1 jug of MR tonight !

Soooo

the door does shut w/o the Iron touching the glass door ?

mine is coming Via AmazonSnailService and I refuse to get Prime

after all , its been said .

Im Prime++

PS  there may be a lodge Lid for this :

Lodge Logic cast iron lid

just saying

I have a lid for a lodge Pot maybe that fits

for me

I see CornBread

jhalepeno CB  w Benton's bacon dripping heated up on the stove in this pan

maybe bits of Bentons in the CB

I finally got it together and made time to make some cornbread to go with last nights soup.

My mom and stepdad gifted us this wild boar bacon for Christmas and I was dying to try it (really good stuff btw)

IMG_3895.JPG.20e0db30b2d2843348159a1ae86ac521.JPG

First  I made the batter using this recipe  (I didn't have near enough cottage cheese but I just used what I had and it didn't seem to hurt)

Then, I used the Lodge to cook the onions a bit so they were soft.  

Then I cooked the bacon for about 5 minutes--all of this done on the stove burner.  

IMG_3896.jpg.0c3265fcf96a02dcf1b24ae31597918d.jpg

Next you pour the batter over the top

IMG_3897.JPG.153cc8cefe6900e1667c36ac2a344bb6.JPG

I popped it into the CSO at 400F for 15 minutes.  Next time I'll check it at about 11 minutes...but it was still awesome.  Ronnie said it's the best cornbread he's ever had.  I'm sure it had nothing to do with the bacon.xD

IMG_3898.JPG.a2fd7a6a122a4dc28809673717706b96.JPG

Flipped over on a plate

IMG_3899.jpg.647a122c9655d1d4b006a17c45cff974.jpg

5a3d2b03e65eb_IMG_39012.JPG.e9368802a342c11275e0d1e5c750e55f.JPG

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

11 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I'm really loving this little oven.

5a3dd2673aa91_ChickenWingswithPotatoWedgesDecember22nd20171.thumb.jpg.668d121f3f0f5b6c23bc5593879150e8.jpg

First time cooking wings in the CSO.   The wings were crispy on the outside and so moist on the inside. 

5a3dd26f28ee6_ChickenWingswithPotatoWedgesDecember22nd2017.thumb.jpg.c55c0dd166173d757aba2fcce2713966.jpg

And more potato wedges.  The potatoes are addictive.  

Try your lemon pepper wings in the CSO.  Heavenly.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Thanks Shelby, I will definitely do that.   The lemon pepper are my favourite.

Need some advice.  Has anyone done whole lobsters in the CSO on the Steam or Super Steam setting?  

I haven't but would also like to know if anyone else has. 

• Like 1

No personal experience and I don’t know how much credence to give this but it is at least start:

Click

This is the clambake from the manual for the oven which is available online. Seafood includes two lobster tails.

According to the manual you cook the vegetables for 20 minutes at super steam and then add the seafood with the lobster tails in the center of the pan and return to the oven on super steam for an additional 15 minutes. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

I can see no reason the above might not work very well

after you zero''d in the proper time to get everything done to your liking.

I’m with you. When I have cooked lobsters in the past I have steamed them and usually for between 10 and 15 minutes depending on size so I don’t see why this wouldn’t work. I’d be happy to test it out if somebody wants to send me the lobsters. xDxDxD

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog