• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

17 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Wait.

A spare notebook or a spare CSO?

I have a spare CSO (in addition to one in our condo and one in beach house).  It was briefly discounted to 160 or so on Amazon.  Can't imagine cooking without it.  No red notebook though ;)

• Haha 2

CSO

there firstI got for $ 175  free shipping and no tax

:P

then when they started to evaporate I waited and got the second for

214  free shipping and no tax

on two red notebooks :  SV  and iP 

reviewing once more 

:P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

on two red notebooks :  SV  and iP 

I suspect that CSO’s are easier to source than red covered notebooks with graph paper.  Black covered ones are so yesterday  and so boring.

E481D278-C7BF-4418-8C45-8CB28EBD17F3.thumb.jpeg.eb4a8104a762e5fe2764ef82ee93960b.jpeg

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've started reading through all the posts on the CSO and getting advice from Shelby.  

Wasn't in any hurry to purchase but have been watching the price on Amazon.ca and Bestbuy.ca.   Yesterday Best Buy had it priced at $279.00,   Checked this morning and they

had it on special for $219. CAD.   plus free shipping.   Couldn't resist.  

Not sure what the difference is in Model numbers but the one available was the CSO-300N1.

Still have some reading to do before it arrives.  

• Like 5

@Ann_T

you are going to love it.

219 CAD is an excellent price.

yours is a newer version w perhaps different buttons on the front and maybe a better  shallow pan inside

that pan would be better w a slightly  taller rim, so take care when taking it out of the oven if it has hot fat / drippings in it.

looking forward to your take

your home-made bread will love it while being turned into Toast.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

So, I was in the middle of baking bread in the CSO when Ronnie came in and opened the door  to the oven. 

ARRRRGH

I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but after he shut the door the CSO started beeping with a message that the water was empty.  

It wasn't.  It was almost clear full.

It continued doing that all along the rest of the baking process.  The bread got done internally, but the top didn't get browned like normal.

Anyway.  After I sent Ronnie to bed with no dinner (kidding),

I googled to see what was going on and came up with these instructions on decalcifying the machine (I still don't know if that's what is wrong, but it couldn't hurt) .

I'm getting ready to do a turkey breast and didn't want the same thing happening so I'm being proactive.

Just thought others might need these instructions some day.

By the way, I only use water that has been run through my Brita pitcher.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Canada Post has competitors who deliver on Sundays when it’s Black Friday.

cP was actually quoted as being more expensive than Purolator on a recent Amazon order.

In this case it was free delivery through Best Buy.   Ordered Thursday and delivered today.  

I do a lot of shipping to the US and Canada and I always use Canada Post. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@Shelby,  I'm at work today.    Moe called me to let me know that my Oven was delivered today.  Not sure when Canada Post started to deliver on Sundays, but I can't wait to get home.

WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!  Did you get to play with it last night?

I also0 use brits water.

On the original machine

the 2d generation machine which has some sort of gizmo or drain in the back , spends its time in the OnDeck circle

Ive never heard a beeping sound nor every got any messages.

it can't hurt to do the de-Cal

if you do let us know what happens.

• Like 1

I don't think brits water can hurt.    it removes most of the Calcium in you water

Ive used calcium dip-sticks to check and use brits water in my espresso machine.

Brita is not allowed to advertise this by law 

as water softener companies more or less bribed Gov. officials  for this law

at least in California

true story.

BTW  you are supposed to run a full cycle in the oven before cooking in it.

check out the manual.

wait until you see how easy it cleans up after a SteamClean.

Edited by rotuts (log)

41 minutes ago, rotuts said:

BTW  you are supposed to run a full cycle in the oven before cooking in it.

I looked through the manual looking to see if there were any instructions prior to using and couldn't find anything.

5a1c2ceec337b_ToastinnewSteamOvenNovember27th2017.thumb.jpg.9e3b6bb178ebc053d34db9143006d6b4.jpg

So I toasted...........Homemade bread.

And it past the toast test.  We like our toast well toasted so I started it out on the #6 setting.  I did have to set

it for a second time but for only an extra two minutes.   Next time I will go right to the 7th setting.  Was still quicker

than my old Cuisinart convection toaster oven.  Which only got used for toast. 

I am going to look for a small roasting pan today. One that will fit in the oven, but can also be put on the stove.  I want to be able to make

gravy in the same pan a chicken is roasted in.    Unfortunately my favourite cast iron skillet that I use for roasting won't fit this little oven. 

• Like 4

a 9 " cake pan fits :

5a1c2f57d9b01_922pan.thumb.jpg.fc776ae346fd761220235bcdf213d9a4.jpg

I got this ' Gold ' one at W-S as I had some certificates .  its a heavy pan

there is also this pan :

https://www.amazon.com/USA-Pan-Bakeware-Nonstick-Aluminized/dp/B002UNMZO4

I have this series in Bread pans.   its cheaper  but very well made and heavy

I wanted to try the Gold pans and having a certificate to WS went that way for the first pan

• Like 1

I don't really know  but its a very heavy for a baking pan

Id get the second one as it not as expensive but equally well made and sturdy.

Id guess you will not find a heavier pan

I don't know of any cast iron that would fit

but I have not looked into it.

38 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I am going to look for a small roasting pan today. One that will fit in the oven, but can also be put on the stove.  I want to be able to make

gravy in the same pan a chicken is roasted in.    Unfortunately my favourite cast iron skillet that I use for roasting won't fit this little oven. 

I have an 8" cast iron skillet that fits in the CSO.  It's 14" with the handle so it has to go on the diagonal and I usually rotate it for more even cooking. 

There are some cast iron skillets with two loop handles that should fit.  Like this or this.

I have a memory of someone here recommending another sort of cast iron pan for the CSO but I can't seem to find it.  Maybe someone else will remember.

• Like 1