• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

Yes, it does. On my list of things to do today. I've been stuck on Rose Levy Beranbaum's potato bread of late, but I think I may try the milk bread someone posted, and I saved the recipe for, recently.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

CSO makes such good white bread

Strangely it's one of the few things that I have had no success with in the steam oven.  Must be operator error. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/4/2017 at 11:28 AM, Anna N said:

Strangely it's one of the few things that I have had no success with in the steam oven.  Must be operator error. 

It could be that the heat settings on your CSO are slightly different than mine?  Or maybe I've just gotten lucky so far on bread.

I'd hate to have to haul all of my cast iron out and use my big oven.

Just a reminder that the CSO does awesome at helping you peel your peppers.

500F on steam broil for about 15 mins flipping half way through.  I'd say mine were done for about 18 mins or so.  Peeled like a dream.

IMG_3670.JPG.a8803939cf975e9c906336d66dd2b273.JPG

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

It could be that the heat settings on your CSO are slightly different than mine?  Or maybe I've just gotten lucky so far on bread.

I'd hate to have to haul all of my cast iron out and use my big oven.

If you head over to the bread topic you will see that I finally had some level of success doing bread in the CSO. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1665.thumb.JPG.cbf880d58bc94bca5fc5ed87cc6ac2e2.JPG

Bread in the Cuisinart steam oven.  It is baking on one of the plates from my now FUBARed  Cuisinart Griller.  I believe they are cast aluminum rather than cast-iron but I needed a flat surface that would fit in the oven and this seems to do it. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

IMG_1665.thumb.JPG.cbf880d58bc94bca5fc5ed87cc6ac2e2.JPG

Bread in the Cuisinart steam oven.  It is baking on one of the plates from my now FUBARed  Cuisinart Griller.  I believe they are cast aluminum rather than cast-iron but I needed a flat surface that would fit in the oven and this seems to do it. 

Gorgeous!  I want a crusty slice with butter.

Ok, so you seem to have gotten more acquainted with bread in the CSO ?  You've had two successes in a row :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ok, so you seem to have gotten more acquainted with bread in the CSO ?  You've had two successes in a row

I still think they should have made the interior space much higher so there is not a constant worry about the crust burning.  I don't think I should have to use foil to protect a loaf of bread in an oven designed to bake bread. I just don't think it does as well at bread as one should expect.   End of my rant (for now). 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Did you pre-heat the grill plate? How long? Temp?

btw the loaf looks wonderful, but I agree with your rant.

p

6 minutes ago, palo said:

Did you pre-heat the grill plate? How long? Temp?

btw the loaf looks wonderful, but I agree with your rant.

Not initially but by the time I baked the third loaf I'm sure it was well preheated.   All were baked on the bread setting. Two were baked at 400°F. One was baked at 400 reduced to 350 because I happened to remember to do that-- once. 

My 2004 eG Blog

I've found I get better results with my bread in the conventional oven rather than in the CSO.  The plate in the oven sounds like a great idea.  Some while ago I looked around for a suitable baking surface but I didn't find one.  When I bake bread in the CSO I use a sheet of Teflon in the pan.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I mentioned in the baking thread that I made bread for the first time in the CSO. It tasted fine the day it was made but not so good a couple days later. It was dry-ish. I cut the crust off, cubed it and put it in the freezer. Maybe I will put it in some meatloaf.  I made some more of my regular recipe (sourdough) in my regular oven like I usually do to the temperature I always use and it came out sooo much better.  I am not inclined to try to mess around with the CSO to see if I can do better.  After 4 or 5 tries, I finally got a slice of toast to come out edible.  The others were overcooked.  First one came out black and smoking.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

It did take me a little while to figure out the best CSO toast settings for different breads (as it did with my old toaster) but now I've got them down and that old toaster is long gone!

I usually start with a setting of 3 or 4.  I've learned that if it's not cooked enough, then I only repeat on the "1" setting, otherwise I risk overdoing it.  

I also find the CSO does a great job resuscitating bread that's slightly stale.  In that case, I give it 2-3 min of steam-bake @ 300-350°F and then switch to the toast function. 

• Like 3

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

It did take me a little while to figure out the best CSO toast settings for different breads (as it did with my old toaster) but now I've got them down and that old toaster is long gone!

I usually start with a setting of 3 or 4.  I've learned that if it's not cooked enough, then I only repeat on the "1" setting, otherwise I risk overdoing it.  

I also find the CSO does a great job resuscitating bread that's slightly stale.  In that case, I give it 2-3 min of steam-bake @ 300-350°F and then switch to the toast function. 

Glad you raised the issue of various breads and how they respond to being toasted.  It is definitely hit and miss initially. I think it does the best job on a simple white sandwich bread, dare I say Wonder Bread, or something similar. Other breads will toast but you do need to figure out the best setting. 

My 2004 eG Blog

might some of the variations be the result of sugar et.al in the bread ?

my main CSB  , the older one , max setting is 7

it won't burn bread.   sometimes just the crust.

Im wondering if its ' tired out '  from having to preform day in and day out ?

I do have  CSBdeux 

I got it because :

A ) id be very distraught if CSBun  became ill

and it was on a big big sale  ;   205 delivered.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

might some of the variations be the result of sugar et.al in the bread ?

my main CSB  , the older one , max setting is 7

it won't burn bread.   sometimes just the crust.

Im wondering if its ' tired out '  from having to preform day in and day out ?

I do have  CSBdeux 

I got it because :

A ) id be very distraught if CSBun  became ill

and it was on a big big sale  ;   205 delivered.

I am quite convinced that the amount of sugar in the bread is the primary factor that determines how well it toasts. Simple breads (flour, water, yeast, salt) do not do well in any toaster that I have found. But those breads I tend to brush with olive oil and pan toast.  Different strokes for different folks or different breads. 

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I mentioned in the baking thread that I made bread for the first time in the CSO. It tasted fine the day it was made but not so good a couple days later. It was dry-ish. I cut the crust off, cubed it and put it in the freezer. Maybe I will put it in some meatloaf.  I made some more of my regular recipe (sourdough) in my regular oven like I usually do to the temperature I always use and it came out sooo much better.  I am not inclined to try to mess around with the CSO to see if I can do better.  After 4 or 5 tries, I finally got a slice of toast to come out edible.  The others were overcooked.  First one came out black and smoking.

I wonder if your unit is faulty.  Other owners get great results with toast.  I rarely have to change the setting on mine...I set it on 5, which is usually my minimum, then if it's not done I just press start again if necessary then keep an eye on it and stop it when I get the right doneness.

@Anna N  

interesting

I use TJ's  sourdough bread  that comes from a bakery in N.H.  called  Pigs that Fly

this place

https://www.sendbread.com

TJ's gets Fz bread from them that they then put out at night

thats then they restock it seems

and it makes spectacular toast  and sandwiches

one may or may not like sourdough

but I grew up in the Bat Area  and you had over 6 - 8 choices derived every day

all types and all sizes  

I came back to NE and this place had just started up

what a gift to me !

it has not sugar in it.

# 7 I sue for toast

# 5 for a light touch

then I add olive oil  , Prenzy's Turkish oregano  TJ's Kalamata olive  etc

the thick cut tomatoes and

Home Aged  TJ's  '' bulging '   Brie     

home aged of course

and then  steam broil

Yikes  !

enough said !

22 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Five is Defcon 1, stand by the smoke alarm on mine.  I just did Texas toast on 2 and it was almost over done. See the picture.

20170916_124031.jpg

Ah,  we all differ in our choice of toast doneness.  Almost over done for you is almost done for me - I'd probably give it another round or two at "1" xD

• Haha 2

@Norm Matthews 

big wow !

well it does look taste and crunchy !

one thing that does not concern me at all

the fillip side of toast  in he CSB  it not as attractive at the top

who cares ?

does the TT have sugar in it ?

no matter , its what youy wanter to toast !

keep track on Bread A  bread B etc

after a while

CSB  = best toast ever.

just saying

suprise.gif.b24b5842f3cc754bf6396c30827f3bdd.gif

• Like 1

here is toast I just made from TJ's  sourdough bread that comes Fz from Pigs that Fly

mentioned above

# 7 

TJsPTF.thumb.jpg.14580a6eb4aefdefc7ee2059c3993e23.jpg

no sugar in this bread

and its about 4 - 5 days old from TJ's

I do my best to keep the wrapper tight

and after this toati9ng , there was still considerable steam that came out of the overn after toating

no where near as much when ' fresh '

i.e. just brought home

so   it takes a bit of thinking based on what kind of bread you are toasting

sugar or not

and how old it it

er: mosture

the CSB is still the most ousting taster ive ever used.

• Like 2