• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

image.jpeg.36ebc302fd84f6908784e0f0426c1dfa.jpeg

This is where the CSO really shines and doesn't get quite enough publicity.   On most things it puts the microwave to shame for re-heating.  I think it is particularly valuable to those of us who live alone and often have leftovers.  This was 325°F  steam bake for 10 minutes.   It was indistinguishable from fresh.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg.36ebc302fd84f6908784e0f0426c1dfa.jpeg

This is where the CSO really shines and doesn't get quite enough publicity.   On most things it puts the microwave to shame for re-heating.  I think it is particularly valuable to those of us who live alone and often have leftovers.  This was 325°F  steam bake for 10 minutes.   It was indistinguishable from fresh.

Yup - totally agree on the reheating!

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg.881eadcc8e75a840593877e36d7d865a.jpeg

Breakfast. Potato salad and poached egg. Baby potatoes tossed in olive oil and roasted for 25 minutes at 400°F steam bake function. Recipe inspired by one found in Food 52: Mighty Salads.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I was given a gift of a frozen Stouffer's spinach soufflé that I plan to have for dinner tonight.  The directions call for cooking at 350 deg F. in a conventional oven for 50 minutes.  It is specifically stated not to use a toaster oven.

Is there really any reason not to use the CSO?  And if not, convection or steam bake?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Usually the stricture against using a toaster oven is just because the heating element is too close, and scorches the top of the item being cooked. I think you're probably savvy enough to correct for that. :)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Steam bake 350 deg F for 40 minutes was just about perfect.  Maybe 35 would have been done but I didn't check.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Steam bake 350 deg F for 40 minutes was just about perfect.  Maybe 35 would have been done but I didn't check.

More data to add to our notebooks. Thank you.

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Was it put in the CSO frozen?

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

Was it put in the CSO frozen?

Mostly.  It had been sitting at room temperature for about an hour.

image.jpeg.ab23df4469f638c5132cd7319240e21b.jpeg

Two small loaves of Walter Sands sandwich bread (from King Arthur flour site). Still not convinced of the efficacy of this oven for bread.  Final rise on counter as I have had too many "failures" using the proofing function. But still did not get the oven spring I am accustomed to getting with this bread. I used the "bread" funtion for baking it. My next experiment will be just convection bake. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I am not a religious person but yesterday night I thought I had a curse, my Cuisinart just stopped working while I was roasting some potatoes.  Should I go to a pelegrinage? Just a couple days ago, still roasting potatoes I thought: is this slower than normal? Yes, it was. Just a sign. :S Me and kitchen appliances are not going along lately. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

From the CSO recipe booklet, whole roasted branzino* p 20.

Stuffed07202017.png

Stuffed, ready to refrigerate.

Baked07202017.png

Baked.

Branzino07202017.png

CSO recipe followed exactly.  Excellent.  Watch out for the bones though.

*Branzino farm raised Turkish, by way of amazon fresh.

Edit:  served with baguette.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 7

Italian sausages and new potatoes cooked at 350 steam bake for 40 minutes.  It's just not fair.  CSO cooks food regardless of my (legendary in my own mind) skills.

IMG_0004.thumb.JPG.adf7038c0bf1ffb46b963707bed6d87d.JPG

• Like 5

I managed to return my oven (had to pay for shipping! It was expensive plus a $10 handling fees) and got a free new oven.

tonight a eggplant in fish fragrant sauce my way. With eggplants precooked in CSO.

IMG_7154.thumb.JPG.f8b467e23d50816083de8de55fe64e22.JPG

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Having a few nice chicken thighs for once, I did an experiment.  I cooked one thigh at 300 deg F. for 60 minutes, steam bake, strictly according to the CSO instruction book.  I cooked another thigh by the @weinoo method at 425 deg F. steam bake for 40 minutes.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/146617-cuisinart-combo-steamconvection-oven-part-1/?do=findComment&comment=1949300

The flesh of the 300 deg thigh was perfect.  Perfect.  I can't imagine how it could be better.  But the skin was not shatteringly crisp.  OK -- to be sure -- but not shatteringly crisp.  By the @weinoo method the skin was indeed shatteringly crisp, though the flesh was slightly stringy.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

I wonder if 350 - 375 would give you even better results?

One thigh left.

I was thinking maybe 300 followed by a broil?

19 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

This is my general MO for CSO thighs, though I check temps and sometimes pull them at 25 min or even a little earlier.

I am finding just lately that in a package of 6 thighs the variation in size makes even cooking quite a challenge. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

I am finding just lately that in a package of 6 thighs the variation in size makes even cooking quite a challenge. 

Agreed. I usually just buy a package of 2 but even there, the sizes can be wildly different.

• Like 1