• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

So Many Cheers your way

@Anna N 

we all are so pleased when we grow up !

its not the Dark Side

but the

Crispy Side !

re Chicken Thighs

and 

best Toast Ever !

Nice !

cheers again !X

• Like 4

its fairly simple :

pst a few pics of your counter

and the Seasoned Pros her will tell you what to

slides off and get to work with the CSB

@weinoo

who showed all the direction to take

@gfweb 

@Shelby 

n and so many others 

Ive said this before :

anyone that Bakes  Bread or not

should fine one of these at an attractive price.

now is good.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Well I resisted with every fibre of my being but apparently I was sending out some sort of sigbal that I was only kidding about no space for a CSO.  Today one showed up at my house and is now sitting in its box on my dining room table while I stare at my kitchen in dismay and wonder where in the hell I'm going to put it. Ingratitude is not my style  so some how, some way I am going to have to find a place for it to live and thrive. Let the games begin.  I know a few members who will be more than happy to welcome me to the Darkside.   You know who you are

@rotuts and @Shelby among others. 

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!   I just did a little happy dance around my kitchen!!!!!

48 minutes ago, PattyO said:

I just got mine, too, Anna!

So excited for you both!!!!!!!

@rotuts and I will anxiously await your creations :)

• Like 3

Ill; just say this :

as much as I think the Anova Crew deserves its Windfall .............

postponing this :

cooker.thumb.jpg.29fe5f4bd5f891460f6e63c7674144dc.jpg.7b98aabfaeb649e728e9af3faeb501e2.jpg

for a year so that they can spend it Skinny-Dipping in Bora-Bora

well   ...

my take , if attractively priced at BB$B , with a 20 % off coupon    

plenty of room on the counter for the CSB and the Above

maybe 

Well my son unpacked the CSO tonight.  So progress is being made.   It is still on my dining room table but no longer enclosed in cardboard.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Well my son unpacked the CSO tonight.  So progress is being made.   It is still on my dining room table but no longer enclosed in cardboard.

Baby steps, Anna, baby steps.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Baby steps, Anna, baby steps.

Well it has now progressed into the kitchen. I have put it through a self clean cycle and I'm now drying it out on the convection bake cycle just to make sure  all things work.   However nothing will ever get cooked in this thing until I can find some space in my kitchen which now feels as if it is closing in on me.   I thought perhaps I could gain some space by moving my microwave elsewhere in the house since its only real use that cannot be duplicated by any other appliance is heating a special disk for my orphan kittens when I get any. But  since the microwave is under cabinets it's not an appropriate spot for a steam oven.  Then I thought I could put it on the counter to the right of my sinks.  But then the steam would threaten my copies of Modernist Cuisine.   It is a puzzlement.  My whole living space is about 550 sq ft.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well I resisted with every fibre of my being but apparently I was sending out some sort of sigbal that I was only kidding about no space for a CSO.  Today one showed up at my house and is now sitting in its box on my dining room table while I stare at my kitchen in dismay and wonder where in the hell I'm going to put it. Ingratitude is not my style  so some how, some way I am going to have to find a place for it to live and thrive. Let the games begin.  I know a few members who will be more than happy to welcome me to the Darkside.   You know who you are

@rotuts and @Shelby among others. 

Anna, I don't know what your kitchen looks like but I ended up putting mine in a corner (with cabinets above) and I pull it forward when I use the steam function (only occasionally).

It's the same site I used for my BSO that is now residing on a shelf in the garage.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kayb said:

Toast alone will make you throw out everything else in your kitchen to make room for your new CSO. 

I agreed with this until my crumb tray became scorched and mottled in places.

I did as someone suggested here and covered it with foil.

However, my toast is still rather uneven on the bottom.

I'm thinking of trying to get a new crumb tray from them.

Has no one else had a problem with a blemished crumb tray?  Surely I can't be the only one.

But let me clarify, the toast is the CSO is still WAY better than it was in my BSO where it always tasted as if it were baked.

Edited by lindag (log)

18 minutes ago, lindag said:

I agreed with this until my crumb tray became scorched and mottled in places.

I did as someone suggested here and covered it with foil.

However, my toast is still rather uneven on the bottom.

I'm thinking of trying to get a new crumb tray from them.

Has no one else had a problem with a blemished crumb tray?  Surely I can't be the only one.

But let me clarify, the toast is the CSO is still WAY better than it was in my BSO where it always tasted as if it were baked.

My toast tray has gotten kind of scratched up so I'm going to order a new one.  It's listed as a replacement part on the Cuisinart website.  I might order another tray as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Anna, I don't know what your kitchen looks like but I ended up putting mine in a corner (with cabinets above) and I pull it forward when I use the steam function (only occasionally).

It's the same site I used for my BSO that is now residing on a shelf in the garage.

I'm working on the problems.   Once I get my kitchen in some sort of order I will post a photograph so you get the idea of how impossible it is to find a spot that doesn't create other issues.    I have just used my walker to push my Modernist Cusine volumes into the front room. Forgot how freaking heavy they are!  I am not WHINNG just sharing. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, lindag said:

CANNOT, CANNOT relinquish my BSO. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

My toast tray has gotten kind of scratched up so I'm going to order a new one.  It's listed as a replacement part on the Cuisinart website.  I might order another tray as well.

Thanks for mentioning this, I just found it on their website and ordered my replacement.

I agree. Won't give up either.   I stacked the two. BSO on bottom with the BSO cutting board in between to keep from roasting the CSB. The cutting board has little feet to allow air circulation

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I agree. Won't give up either.   I stacked the two. BSO on bottom with the BSO cutting board in between to keep from roasting the CSB. The cutting board has little feet to allow air circulation

Close to posting a photo!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.447b16b1252e300217e014e2c6817011.jpegimage.jpeg.2c1a13b12b692fffeb34e030195de251.jpegimage.jpeg.f01c848bbc47dfe438f9a8d2a7ab1669.jpegimage.jpeg.8f658a0ef661da7f3ff2acefc3e2dabf.jpeg

There you go and please remember I stand 4'9" tall! 

Edited by Anna N
To remove extra photo (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Hey, great job!  

One option for an under-cabinet position in a corner similar to your microwave location is to put it sideways so the vents are out in front of the cabinets.  

In your case, that might not work so well as you have the Breville oven right next door and need enough space to open the door but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Facing sideways:

post-55674-0-79000300-1445290315_thumb.jpeg

I originally thought I'd keep mine facing front and only turn it when using steam but I use it often enough that I just leave it sideways all the time.

Facing front:

post-55674-0-68243900-1445290265_thumb.jpeg

@blue_dolphin

I am still debating whether it will stay in the position it is will be turned so it is a little easier to use.  I am also trying to work around getting rid of that work table underneath the pot holder.   It blocks access to the bottom cupboards which I have lived with for sometime but now find very annoying.

Anyway after practically working myself to the bone trying to reorganize and tidy up my kitchen to make room for its new occupant I got my just reward:

image.jpeg.a43c513e071b2cc711c413ddeea9aa32.jpeg

A piece of toast that did not challenge my limited dentition nor shatter into 1000 crumbs on my just-vacuumed area rug. I ate it topped with a mess of Cashel blue!  Mmmmmmmmmm.  

Edited to add

I now feel obligated, once I get my second wind, to dig deep down into the freezer drawer and retrieve a couple of small chicken thighs.   According to my latest inventory they should be in there.   They will be double insurance that it was all worth while.   But first I need a nap .

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

P.S.:   re toast

I looked at this AM's tranche  and indeed the bottom was not a pretty as the top.

no matter .  tasted perfect

Im wondering if the ' tray ' was not in the correct position ?

one thin about the CSB :  better check the slide out try position before you select your Personal Beverage

as it makes no intuitive sense at all.

just saying

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

you've got more room than I do !

of course my kitchen counters are not available for .jpg's and most be for " quite some time "

tongue-out.gif.53275240fbea77bc1f6d7ed337a3c4e2.gif

Unfortunately I deleted the pre-clean up photographs that I took this morning!  I have one big garbage bag full and two charity boxes sitting at the front door waiting to go elsewhere!   Much sacrifice to make room for new oven.:D

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog