• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

I can get one for basically free with a rewards program at work.  I'm just wavering because I have minimal counter space. But if I buy a rolling island I could fit that and the Instant Pot you enablers put on my counter.  What's stopping me is the combination of steam bake/steam broil and all the different ways to use it.  Does it become intuitive?  I do have notebooks per @rotuts suggestion

Edited by Jacksoup
Spelling (log)

@Jacksoup 

yes   more or less  .   you do have to keep an eye on how things are cooking.   

its not ' pouch a button and forget it "

its quicker cooking     Moister cooking    and due to the steam    fairly forgiving re ; drying out 

delicate items  :  fish etc  need more of your attention.

but soon you get the hang of it.

• Like 1

Ive been a bit late to try many things in the CSB   including toast

so I thought this week id try a whole chicken 

Id say  4 lbs or less ?

if you have done this over and over   

please let me know how you would do the Chicken again this week !

thanks

money-mouth.gif

I spatchcocked and steam-baked a "cornish" hen (< 4lb, probably about 3.25 - 3.5# if memory serves) - fit well, and turned out beautifully.  I'd strongly recommend this method b/c it gets you the greatest clearance away from the top heating elements.

Click

If you look in the Manitoulin unravelled topic you will see where we cooked a whole chicken in the CSO and Kerry Beal repeated this with her new CSO down here and was very pleased with the results.

Edited by lesliec
Corrected link. (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So I made tandoori lamb rack - I don't know much about the cuisine but I do love it.

I didn't have any yogurt, but I did have some homemade sour cream getting long in the tooth, so doped it with lime & salt & spices, marinated for 6 hours, then steam baked it (preheated and presteamed) 25 min @ 450 degF.  Here it is out of the oven:

doS3HSUMGiY8SsEjjYRlFgCODX6DvlRsIsUvzUHB

And here it is on the plate with some butter chicken sauce:

wwaRuyY5v6XQRCuCkeT8awXSELhWuAL2udidLyMS

The asparagus was peeled & steamed 10 min while the lamb was rested/sliced - no steam bake this time blue_dolphin, for contrast with the lamb.  Asparagus sauce was some leftover caesar salad dressing cut with mayo (60/40), thinned with some fresh lemon juice, with an extra clove of garlic.  Other sides were glazed carrots with caraway seed and stir-fried corn... these done on the stove.  Before I shut down the CSO I cranked it up to 500 degF convection to cook some store-bought mini-naan with whatever residual steam remained.

The lamb was great - a little more done than I usually go for with a chop, but just right for a curry.

Breakfast continued work on Project Brown Bastards - probably something only I care about, but it's getting there.

UqCFPwxgTfNfidCA1hLk9KOt57FjPxu1xa33xmyq

As mentioned previously, this is Shirley Corriher's wet "touch of grace" biscuit dough, frozen in a muffin pun.  Preheated & steam-baked in a cold crowded cast-iron skillet, 30 min @ 450degF.  This temperature was a little too high - got acceptable rise, but the interior was still slightly gummy by the time the tops had browned.  Also I unaccountably failed to brush the tops with butter.  A little lower for a little longer, and I'll have something worth eating that can be prepared while pulling espresso shots after waking at a normal hour.  Cheers.

• Like 5

Ordered my CSO today.  Stovetop/microwave/oven combo(from the 80's) died yesterday which has prompted an entire kitchen renovation.  Long overdue.  So I will be living with CSO and Instant Pot and BBQ for the next couple of months.  Did buy a new microwave and put it on the useless stovetop

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Moon cakes y'all!  7 min @ 350degF straight convection.

moon_cakes.jpg

The good stuff brought back from Taipei... sweet mung bean paste filling with a salted duck egg yolk, taken with copious strong oolong tea in between strolls out to the yard with the children to hunt for the moon.  Happy Mid-Autumn festival y'all!

54 minutes ago, Jacksoup said:

Ordered my CSO today.  Stovetop/microwave/oven combo(from the 80's) died yesterday which has prompted an entire kitchen renovation.  Long overdue.  So I will be living with CSO and Instant Pot and BBQ for the next couple of months.  Did buy a new microwave and put it on the useless stovetop.

Last year we replaced our 1970s-vintage range with a new one from Bluestar... wow, what a difference.  Not sure I'd make it with no burners for two months!

• Like 5

Cauliflower steam baked at 450 for 30 min.  It was slightly charred on the outside and custard like on the inside.  Dreamy.  Extra thick pork chop cooked in cast iron and sliced in half (horizontally) cause we eat too much... Spicy ketchup, hoisin, lime juice sauce.

image.jpg

• Like 8

IMG_3052.jpg

8 of these little bottles fit nicely into a small stainless hotel pan, topped with a silicone lid or two - more flan in the steam oven. I find it interesting that the little glass bottles take as long to cook as the larger vessels.

• Like 5

Kerry, I was thinking to make little pots like those, using small canning jars and fingertip closed, like I did for sous vide. Need to try it!
The recipes I tried sous vide were sooo good and I have so many yolk every week that I'm just tossing them.

I've been using the CSO almost every day. So far, the things I've enjoyed most were actually eggplants and potatoes, made also a very good tomato sauce. I've not cooked beets yet, but I'm sure all the roots vegetables, celeriac and parsnips would come out great. And I've used the steam function for xiaolongbao and chinese steamed breads.

I am incapable of using it for reheating bread, or it's just not my taste. I often have frozen bread and I've tried to bake steam at 225 to defrost and then toast light on 2 but it's not a texture I enjoy. Like tater tots, I suppose.

I need to call the customer service to sort the staining of the roof of the oven...

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 6:10 PM, chefmd said:

Cauliflower steam baked at 450 for 30 min.  It was slightly charred on the outside and custard like on the inside.  Dreamy.  Extra thick pork chop cooked in cast iron and sliced in half (horizontally) cause we eat too much... Spicy ketchup, hoisin, lime juice sauce.

image.jpg

i'm curious about your cauliflower.  I bought a nice, large head a couple days ago and was planning to make a new recipe but discovered it was so tedious and full of odd ingredients that I had to change my mind.  Now I don't know what to do with it.

Yours looks tempting; did you season with anything other than S&P?

1 hour ago, lindag said:

i'm curious about your cauliflower.  I bought a nice, large head a couple days ago and was planning to make a new recipe but discovered it was so tedious and full of odd ingredients that I had to change my mind.  Now I don't know what to do with it.

Yours looks tempting; did you season with anything other than S&P?

Salt, pepper, and chicken fat because I have it.  I like the taste of cauliflower and usually don't use any spices while cooking it.  I saved about one third of the head and plan to make shaved cauliflower salad with it.

3 hours ago, Franci said:

I am incapable of using it for reheating bread, or it's just not my taste. I often have frozen bread and I've tried to bake steam at 225 to defrost and then toast light on 2 but it's not a texture I enjoy. Like tater tots, I suppose.

I need to call the customer service to sort the staining of the roof of the oven...

I reheat my bread 300-350 deg F. on steam bake for around 8 minutes.  This is day or two old bread, not frozen.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou