• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

2 hours ago, MelissaH said:

Is anyone else out there totally torn, still?

I am.  I have the Breville  XL and really like it but I use 1/4 sheet plans in it all the time and to me the fact that the CSO is to small for them is a major drawback. My Breville still works well and that is another reason I have a hard time buying the CSO despite it's advantages.  However, if a company comes out with a SO that fits a 1/4 sheet pan I'd take a serious look at it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@melissaH I have both and the strengths of CSO outweigh its size. But , as you say, I like my 1/4 sheet pan in the BSO.

I use both. CSO sits happily atop BSO and this takes up no more space on the counter.

How tall is the stack? (I'm trying to figure out whether it would fit on my counter.)

And how much steam comes out the top when you use it in whatever mode generates the most steam?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

you should not place the CSB under a counter when ' Cook'n '   

that's my take    the steam outlets on the back top will eventually ruin your cabinets.

I also have both.   it took me a while to take the SteamPlunge   

Its well worth it to me.  size matters    but not that much in relation to the quality of the CSB's output.

I use my BVXL now just for brownies   ( 13 x 9  or so aluminum pan , edges crimped a bit ) and

Tj's fz pizza or other larger pizza that fit in the BVXL and not the CSB

Im sure Cuisinart chose to make it as it is based on its foot-print alone.

eventually you get a few pans that fit in the CSB   you don't need many.

the 1/4 sheet pan  is a game changer before you try out a CSB  and of course the additional expense ..

after you try the CSB , you completely forget about the 1/4 sheet pan.

Edited by rotuts (log)

@Franci  

I hope your CSB cleans up.  that's a lot of ' something or other '

In my experience  the clean-up is hassle free and easy  with just a damp cloth.

even the tray w burn on CkTh cleaned up easily when placed in a steam-clean cyle.   the burns on bits

just floated away.    i was very surprised.

if this does not happen in your case , call them.   in the past they were very helpful.

hoping for the best ....

@MelissaH I guess what I'm really wishing for is a CSO that has the same dimensions as the countertop Oster mentioned in the Breville vs. Oster thread. That, I'd have in a heartbeat. 

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@chromedome  

indeed.  I know that's not going to happen during my lifetime.  hope you are substantially younger !

money-mouth.gif

the CSB is no longer on display at BB$B  nor at BillSonoma's    they will sell you one for 299 w free shipping.

suprise.gif

I don't think the size has turned the CSB into a sort of HomeChefCult item

I think its much more pedestrian :  the non-prodfessional has no idea what a combi-oven can do, and

if they have substantial means     they go to a very high end appliance store  ( Yale  as mentioned   )

and spend a fortune on stuff not so much for getting items dan le Plate , but for their appearance 

this is not a criticism as such 

PedroG's  Swiss ElectorLux isn't going to be sold here more or less due to some

merger issues that were not resolved with Me in mind  .

Inspired by rotuts, I steam-baked some meatloaf.IMG_20160907_183128.jpg

I didn't have any ground beef & not going to clean the grinder on a weeknight... so the meat mix was equal parts ground pork, ground turkey, and some pate de campagne I'd made & stashed in the freezer.  Mirepoix, parsley & celery leaves; fresh bread panade and egg to bind.

30min @375 degF convection in a loaf pan to set, then unmolded & inverted, steam bake 375degF until internal temp hit 140 degF - another 30 minutes.  Then crank the CSO boiler to glaze with ketchup/Steen's cane syrup/rice wine vinegar/black pepper.  

Sliced on a bed of youcai a/k/a yu choy - boiled & tossed in garlic oil.

• Like 6

Oh yeah - forgot to add the meatloaf was very good, tender & juicy.  I'll happily make this again.  Thanks for the rec rotuts; my kids were wowed by the fancy, exotic meal of meatloaf with mashed potatoes & gravy.  Somebody's got to fly the flag for grandma.  I may have to unleash a molded Jello salad on they ass.

Edited by csingley (log)
  • Like 8

37 minutes ago, csingley said:

Oh yeah - forgot to add the meatloaf was very good, tender & juicy.  I'll happily make this again.  Thanks for the rec rotuts; my kids were wowed by the fancy, exotic meal of meatloaf with mashed potatoes & gravy.  Somebody's got to fly the flag for grandma.  I may have to unleash a molded Jello salad on they ass.

A worthy threat. "Pink stuff" or "green stuff"?

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Just now, kayb said:

A worthy threat. "Pink stuff" or "green stuff"?

The one I remember was strawberry Jello with little balls of cream cheese embedded, molded in a bundt pan.  God, I wonder if I could make that taste good??

Maybe I'll just stick to oven-braised brisket with Lipton onion soup mix.  That would probably turn out great in the CSO - have to get just the point cut in order to fit.

• Like 2

When Anna was talking tots, I bought a couple bags.  The ones I steam-baked where underwhelming - squishy, with an insubstantial crust.  This, ladies and gentlemen, is what I'm talking about:

IMG_20160908_063833.jpg

Deep fried in beef fat, dipped in chile con queso.  Awesome.  I'll never do tots in the CSO again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about convenience foods, but you give up too much quality with steam oven tots.

Deep frying is a little more hands-on than the CSO, but no slower.  I needed to reseason my wok anyway, so not much extra mess& fuss in the scheme of things.  A light, healthy, and nutritious breakfast.

The toast was made in the Cuisinart, though, and it's unrivaled in that function.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MelissaH said:

@chromedome,

Is anyone else out there totally torn, still?

I was in the same position recently; considering replacing my BSO with the CSO and decided it was worth it for the steam function although I was worried about losing the quarter sheet pan capability.

Well I went for it and I must say I haven't missed it at all.  It's worth doing if only for the much improved toast!

In all fairness, though, I will admit I do miss the pre-settings for 'warm' and 'reheat', those were particularly handy for leftovers and cold pizza.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

"Mentally unsound... but genius nonetheless"

I'd be concerned nestling them all up on each other's business like that.  Next thing you know they'll be sharing one communal water tank, and interfering with each other's private programs.  One morning you may wake up to discover a personal humidifier gestating in the lower oven cavity.  Then you'll be out on cooking forums every day, desperately pimping out steam ovens - free to good home.

• Like 6

" Ill be drinking early today .... "

--W.C.Fields

I did this for the team :   Next week   ( tuesday )  Breville will will be announcing the  BV- XL-S 1000.   it will feature room

' to spare ' for the Standard 1/4 sheet pan  ( not the Olympic 1/4 sheet ) with an inch to spare all round.   It will be 60 % taller

and in addition to the ' usual ' programs , it will have  " Bread " :  French Crusty , Loaf Sandwich , Buns Burger  etc

it will have a revolutionary " Light "  but no HD-Live video.  it will go for $ 499 list , but be commonly sold for $ 449

BB$B will sell it for $ 400  and they will take back for ' Full Credit ' the BVXL  you got there years ago.

you saved that receipt right ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5