• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

Chicken thighs, on rack in supplied baking pan, steam/bake 425F x 30 mins. 

Same here, except I don't use a rack.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Best thing I've cooked in the CSO so far: Whole chicken, brined for 24 hours then steam-baked for an hour at 400. Just about perfect. 

And toast. I like the No. 3 setting.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Today I tried steam-broiling the rest of my asparagus.  Even preheating the oven, with the cooking tray on the middle position I was unable to get any color on them by the time the asparagus softened.  I let some of it go until it did brown, by which time it was savagely overcooked (almost 20 min for medium-thick asparagi; mushy and green color gone to grey-brown).  A completely failed result.  I will try again with the rack up in the high position, so the asparagi are as close to the heat as possible - but perhaps the heating elements simply aren't powerful enough for this application.  I'll also try straight convection broiling asparagus for a control... it's possible the higher thermal conductivity of the steam is undesirable, and I really need to retard cooking the interior until the skin's had a chance to blister.

So far I've had zero luck with frozen biscuits. I made a batch of high-hydration drop biscuit dough (a la Shirley Corriher) but it performed very poorly out of the freezer... I think the flour started setting before the ice could heat all the way to vapor.  Bad idea to rely on steam for rise.  I'm going to try another batch of dough, much drier and shorter (cut biscuits) with a heavy hand on the chemical leaveners, before I give the whole idea up for dead.  I want biscuits in the morning dammit!!

53 minutes ago, kayb said:

Best thing I've cooked in the CSO so far: Whole chicken, brined for 24 hours then steam-baked for an hour at 400. Just about perfect. 

And toast. I like the No. 3 setting.

Agreed.  I had excellent results with cornish game hens, salted overnight, butterflied flat, and steam-baked on the lowest rack postion.  My family eats a lot of pork; the CSO does equallly well with chops, ribs, etc.

It also performs very well for custards - I've made flan & creme brulee; better product than a water bath in the oven and better control than a rice cooker or bamboo steamer basket (although much less capacity than any of these methods).

In the early pages of this topic there were posted some damned tasty-looking beets (although I can't get anybody to eat that stuff) and rotuts had some nice meatloaf - I've got that slated for trial myself; sounds like a great fit for the steam bake method.

13 hours ago, Franci said:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I can really relate to this. Once or twice a year I will enjoy some blue cheese or taleggio in solitude.

I alternate between accusing my wife of cultural imperialism, and shrugging my shoulders: "more for me!"  I'll happily share in the stinky tofu and the century eggs and the pork blood and whatnot, then turn around and hog all the Roquefort and Humboldt Fog.  The regrettable part is the pernicious influence on my children, who spent too much time in Asia at an impressionable age.  My oldest categorically refuses to eat sandwiches (which causes trouble on school field trips etc.) and my youngest won't eat any cheese or butter that's not melted & incorporated into a dish.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, csingley said:

Today I tried steam-broiling the rest of my asparagus.  Even preheating the oven, with the cooking tray on the middle position I was unable to get any color on them by the time the asparagus softened.  I let some of it go until it did brown, by which time it was savagely overcooked (almost 20 min for medium-thick asparagi; mushy and green color gone to grey-brown).  A completely failed result.  I will try again with the rack up in the high position, so the asparagi are as close to the heat as possible - but perhaps the heating elements simply aren't powerful enough for this application.  I'll also try straight convection broiling asparagus for a control... it's possible the higher thermal conductivity of the steam is undesirable, and I really need to retard cooking the interior until the skin's had a chance to blister.

Consider trying steam-bake instead of steam broil for your asparagus so they'll get heat from both top and bottom. I was happy with texture and flavor I got from asparagus cooked that way.  Generally ~ 10 min  steam-bake @ 425 F, no preheat for skinny spears, a bit longer for fat ones. 

I was going for good roasted flavor, there was some browning but I wasn't specifically looking for a lot of char, so it may not be what you want.  I was impressed that I was able to get a nice roast on the skinny spears without turning them into jerky xD!

edited to add:  you can see the "color" or lack thereof on skinny spears in this post

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, csingley said:

In the early pages of this topic there were posted some damned tasty-looking beets (although I can't get anybody to eat that stuff) and rotuts had some nice meatloaf - I've got that slated for trial myself; sounds like a great fit for the steam bake method.

I alternate between accusing my wife of cultural imperialism, and shrugging my shoulders: "more for me!"  I'll happily share in the stinky tofu and the century eggs and the pork blood and whatnot, then turn around and hog all the Roquefort and Humboldt Fog.  The regrettable part is the pernicious influence on my children, who spent too much time in Asia at an impressionable age.  My oldest categorically refuses to eat sandwiches (which causes trouble on school field trips etc.) and my youngest won't eat any cheese or butter that's not melted & incorporated into a dish.

I've had very good CSO results with beets, but I do not do beets often.

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Consider trying steam-bake instead of steam broil for your asparagus so they'll get heat from both top and bottom. I was happy with texture and flavor I got from asparagus cooked that way.  Generally ~ 10 min  steam-bake @ 425 F, no preheat for skinny spears, a bit longer for fat ones. 

I was going for good roasted flavor, there was some browning but I wasn't specifically looking for a lot of char, so it may not be what you want.  I was impressed that I was able to get a nice roast on the skinny spears without turning them into jerky xD!

edited to add:  you can see the "color" or lack thereof on skinny spears in this post

Thank you - your asparagus looks nice, close to what I had in mind.  I think I was working against my own interests by preheating the oven - basically I want as much of the cooking action as possible to come from steam (conduction not convection) to get that crisp/tender texture, while still getting a little superficial browning for some nutty taste.  I should probably just steam it and then hit it with a torch, but I will try again in the CSO.  For science.

tmp_15305-IMG_20160901_061006-1172513333.jpg

Project Brown Bastard has its first positive result.  Same batch of dough; similar to Shirley Carrier's high-hydration "touch of grace" drop biscuits.

Preheat 425 degF, followed by steam bake 30min @ 425 degF (using a cast iron pan as suggested by KerryBeal - pan not preheated) gave a good rise and crumb straight from frozen.

Only problem was poor shape caused by stupidly freezing wet dough balls on a sheet tray - spread flat.  Same dough frozen in a muffin pan to crowd the CI pan should strain toward the glorious heights of my dreams.

• Like 5

'Tots are a semi-legal addiction    only semi as I can eat them faster than I can make them.

they do have an interesting  history :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tater_tots      Leftovers made good !

http://www.potatopro.com/news/2008/history-tater-tot   

"  "They were gobbled up,"Grigg wrote, "faster than a dead cat could wag its tail." "      indeed

recently,   the AirFyer made good has done them    see that topic.

well , what about the CSB ?

CSB Tots.jpg

from frozen  , TJ's Fz TT :   400 Steam-bake     then a shake after 20 min     not easy to do   on the CSB pan lined in parchment 

kept in the CSB until crispy.      Mayo + a hint of TJ's General Tao sauce   ( as I and it ) and Window Green Onions.   S & P

fine for me.   indeed it takes a bit longer than the PAF : take a peek here at @Anna N  post   from tuesday :

still these are mighty fine , but take more time.

• Like 4

@rotuts

You managed to get much more colour on your tater tots. I did wonder if I should have let mine go longer. Next time.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

CSB's  toasties :

TJ's sourdough bread , fresh  ( Pigs that Fly )    tomatoes  home ripened in a brown bag w an apple , and two toppings :

TJ's oozzie  brie    and egg salad :

lighty toast the bread  int he CSB  for a little crunch

a little olive oil  TJ's on that bread    tomatoes   S & P   the cabinet aged Brie  and IP's eggs now eggs salad   w some window green onion tops

steam broiled :

CSB Toasties.jpg

the Brie Toastie was as usual  beyond tasty

the Egg Salad one was good, but not eggy enough.  this was a one egg salad.  two egg's might have been better

maybe thinner tomatoes as there was a lot of tomato flavor and not enough egg

maybe the tomatoes need to be on the side.

but fine potential here for a snappy breakfast !

F.D.:

the green onion addition to the EggSalad  comes from 

@robirdstx    here :

thinking about it is not the same as doing it  !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

tmp_3322-IMG_20160901_181512908987192.jpg

Tonight's offering: stuffed mushrooms.

Especially craptastic photography, but the product was remarkably good - crunchy & browned on top; juicy & tender mushrooms.  Often these dry out & turn a bit leathery in the oven without steam.  This is one of the most dramatic improvements I've had with the steam bake method.

Preheat 375 degF; steam bake 20 min @ 375 degF.

The filling was simple.  Ground pork & diced onion parcooked with rosemary / S&P / pinch of crushed red.  Mixed with some breadcrumbs (I believe I made them with a bit of Parm & dried herbs), some chopped parsley, and an egg to bind.

Edited by csingley
&@*! autocorrect (log)
  • Like 4

Nice tots rotuts!  Have to give that a try... I like 'em crunchy too, so I usually just deep fry the suckers... like, say, in the beef cheek fat I just rendered in the pressure cooker.

I too like mayo-based sauces for tots (byproduct of boyhood days in holland eating friets).  These days I tend to make mayonnaise with VN fish sauce & lemon/lime (sometimes garlic too); mix that as needed with sriracha hot sauce for a nice dip.  "Zuo guan jun" (Gen. Joe) sauce is too sweet for me for this application.  I like cajun remoulade sauce here too.

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

I like the TT's with a good deal of crunch

perhaps we need a TT topic :

how do you do your TT's ?    and what do you dip them in ?

Here you go @rotuts

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/1/2016 at 7:55 PM, csingley said:

Also I'd be remiss to overlook James Coney Island style tots smothered in Wolf brand chili with shredded cheddar or cheese sauce on top - generous squirt of Tabasco.

One of the finest creations to ever be delivered by a Sonic drive-in carhop--chili cheese tots. With a side of onion rings. Breakfast of champions.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Guess what was on sale today?  Dinner was lettuce and tomatoes.  (Tomatoes are essentially infinite at the moment.)  And CSO Tater tots by rotuts' method.  With mayonnaise.

Very crisp.  Better than I expected.

• Like 4

Brie Toastie :

Brie Toatie.jpg

this was the finest one Ive made .   Lighty cured Brie dans le Cabinet  TJ's oozie Brie  sourdough toast ( TJ's ) and paper bag ripened tomatoes on the vine

I think this was much better as i left it in the CSB longer   ( there is a step-wise technique :  light toast the bread  , ? # 4  until just beginning to crisp but not brown

olive oil  ( TJ;s  Kalamata or Spanish  )  sliced tomatoes  , Brie  ( cabinet aged for a few days out of the wrapper.  its very flavorful and soft.  no hint of Ammonia ! )

assemble season lightly the tomatoes  w salt

steam broil 500 f   until nicely browned.    in the past  I set a broil time of maybe 6 , 7 min ?  then torched

in letting it finish in the CSB until it looked good : it was much more flavorful  the brie opened up quite a bit no torching above !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, cyalexa said:

very jealous

Check back with me after the hurricane.

Meanwhile tonight's CSO experiment is pizza.  I had bread dough in the refrigerator that needed eating up.  Quartered tomatoes, oregano, anchovies, mozzarella -- bread setting, 450 deg C. for thirty minutes.  No idea how it will turn out.