• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 3)

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, lindag said:

Have you never had a rotisserie chicken from Costco?  The ones I get here at my store are amazingly good, no other can compare.

And, yes, refrigeration  does take its toll.  When served still warm the flavor is infinitely better.  Of course that is not always possible.  Good to know KerryB's trick to reheat.

Costco are definitely so much better than the supermarket ones IMHO. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Costco are definitely so much better than the supermarket ones IMHO. 

Costco rotisserie chickens are huge compared to what you get in the supermarket...and usually cheaper, too!

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, lindag said:

Have you never had a rotisserie chicken from Costco?  The ones I get here at my store are amazingly good, no other can compare.

And, yes, refrigeration  does take its toll.  When served still warm the flavor is infinitely better.  Of course that is not always possible.  Good to know KerryB's trick to reheat.

Never had Costco's. Its on the list.

The Acme market version is dry as oversalted sawdust its so overcooked.

On 8/26/2016 at 0:26 PM, Kerry Beal said:

There are IMHO no rotisserie chickens better than what you buy from the little shops in Nice! 

Or, for that matter, in Belgium when the apartment where you're living for 3 months has only a microwave oven.

Edited by Smithy
Removed extraneous hosts' note (log)
  • Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Also posted in lunch topic. Niman ranch pork ribs cooked on steam bake 300 degrees for two hours, chilled, reheated on steam bake 325 degrees for 10 minutes, sauced with ketchup/hoisin/hot sauce and steam broiled at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.  Fall of the bone tender.

image.jpg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, chefmd said:

Also posted in lunch topic. Niman ranch pork ribs cooked on steam bake 300 degrees for two hours, chilled, reheated on steam bake 325 degrees for 10 minutes, sauced with ketchup/hoisin/hot sauce and steam broiled at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.  Fall of the bone tender.

Thanks chefmd, that's more like it than my last batch in the Cuisinart... although I don't want 'em quite falling off the bone.  Appreciate it.

15 minutes ago, palo said:

What was the theory/reason for the chilling step chefmd?

Pretty standard cook/hold prep, a la sous vide.  You do the long cook when you have time to do it, cool for storage, then pull it out & reheat for a short time to serve.

I'm planning something similar for some beef cheeks I just picked up ($3.59/lb at HEB, word)... braise on the weekend, reheat on a weeknight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, palo said:

What was the theory/reason for the chilling step chefmd?

p

I did the first step yesterday, the plan was to have ribs for dinner.  I would simply glaze and broil them last night without chill/reheat step but dinner plans changed.   I thought that broiling from cold would burn the ribs before they will come to temperature.

My mom came up with the brilliant idea of using the CSO to remove the skins off of Hatch Chiles.  About 15 mins (I turned mine half way thru)  at 500F using the steam broil setting.  Skins are very easy to remove.

photo.JPG

• Like 8

So I made the beef cheeks.

beef.jpg

As is ofen the case with the sub-$4/lb price point meats, they come with the Xmas toy disclaimer: "some disassembly required".  Net yield about 60%, but then I also got a couple stir fries' worth of trimmings and a nice load of beef fat to render.

The braising liquid was 3 sweet onions, sweated, and most of a bottle of red wine reduced to syrup with star anise, dried orange peel, and some weird citrusy allspice-sized Thai peppers.  Oh yeah, and some soy sauce, anchovies, and a slug of Marmite.

For the cook I decided to min-max it a little more... bake/steam @ 225degF for 4 hours, followed by bake/steam @ 425degF for 12 min.  The result is what you see here... lots of excess water from the copious steam, so I took out the protein & reduced it on the stovetop.  This is being cooled separately from the meat; once defatted I will recombine.  This is two meals' worth - one I'll vac-seal & freeze; the other will be Tuesday dinner after kids' martial arts practice.

This is fall-apart tender and juicy with good browning - a fantastic result.  3 hours would have been good too, more slice & chew... but I've a mind to take that other half and shred it for ravioli filling, so I took it all the way.

PS Shelby, it being Sunday, a gang of other prep went down too.  Deboned & seamed out a pork shoulder roast; sliced the muscles into strips that would fit down the food processor tube, down which they went after a half hour in the freezer - pork for stir fry.  Some of the pork was ground too, and the bones/trimmings/fat went into the pressure cooker for stock and lard.  Put a side of coho salmon on the cure for gravlax.  Large amounts of vacuum-sealing was done, most notably several dozen top-notch moon cakes purchased in Taipei, but also ribeyes, dover sole, and tuna... can you tell we went to Costco?  Alas I ran out of motivation to process a duck - next weekend.

Dinner was nearly 100% from Costco - except the bacon, which is home-cured unsmoked five spice bacon from my next-to-last berkshire belly.

salad.jpg

Seared tuna over romaine dressed with nuoc cham, with some blanched asparagus & rosted peppers kicking around in there - my daughter loved it.  The stinky triple-creme slices were to mark territory for me to eat, since apparently it's like kryptonite for Asians.

Edited by csingley (log)
  • Like 5

I make this bread a lot...it's easy and with the Everything (the stuff you put on bagels and such) Topping it's very good (good plain, too).  I bring a couple loaves to most family dinners.  Anyway, first time making it in the CSO.  My french bread pan wouldn't fit, so I just free-formed it.  Man, it turned out good.  Very light...the crust was so good.

photo 1.JPG

• Like 6

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

would you share the Rx for that CSB bread ?

Here you go :)

It's kind of a different recipe.....I'm not sure it's really even french bread lol.  I set my kitchen timer so that I remember to stir it/punch it down every 10 mins.

OK, gang. I need some help. I just scored a very lightly used CSO via Craigslist for $100 (the earlier model, not the one with the steam-cleaning feature). We already have the larger Breville (and a microwave and blender and...), so some counter rearranging is in my very near future. But that's not what I need help with.

What I'd like is some advice about how I should start learning about this blessing from the shopping deities. It's now at 1135 posts, counting this one, in the two CSO forums, so I suppose I could just start at post #1 and work my way through, but something a little more directed would be good, I think. Thanks.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

OK, gang. I need some help. I just scored a very lightly used CSO via Craigslist for $100 (the earlier model, not the one with the steam-cleaning feature). We already have the larger Breville (and a microwave and blender and...), so some counter rearranging is in my very near future. But that's not what I need help with.

What I'd like is some advice about how I should start learning about this blessing from the shopping deities. It's now at 1135 posts, counting this one, in the two CSO forums, so I suppose I could just start at post #1 and work my way through, but something a little more directed would be good, I think. Thanks.

Chicken thighs, on rack in supplied baking pan, steam/bake 425F x 30 mins. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/28/2016 at 8:32 PM, csingley said:

.  The stinky triple-creme slices were to mark territory for me to eat, since apparently it's like kryptonite for Asians.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I can really relate to this. Once or twice a year I will enjoy some blue cheese or taleggio in solitude.

@Alex 

steam-bake some chicken thighs    w skin on    on the rack over the drip pan   season skin lightly with something you like

350 or so ?  375 ?     take out when the skin is ' bubbly '     that's key

CkThIII S.jpg

CkTh8 skin.jpg

the last picks the skin lifted off the CkTh's    its very crispy   its a bit hard to see the bubbles on the skin :

CkTh5 SB done.jpg

this is sort of Ck skin crackling

I have your model    it does steam cleaning but you just have to set it yourself.    becarefull of the pan that comes w V.1

its flimsy    you don't want to spill steaming hot hat on your toes.

this is the replacement pan for the medium BV toaster oven :

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/broil-tray-p-630206.html

it deeper and the same size as the SB pan and much sturdier     I advise this as a supplement to the CSB

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2