• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

Tried to bake a small sourdough batard simply on bread setting and it baked the bread, but no oven spring and dense loaf compared to same dough in the regular oven with stainless bowl + ice cubes.  I think I'll swing by pottery store tomorrow to pick up a small kiln shelf, cut it to size, use the oven in dry mode to pre-heat, then bake with steam.  Seems to be fine with a 400-500g loaf size, which is perfect.  It heats up the house less, but, it costs more because electricity where I live is something crazy like over $0.40/kwh 🤑.

Can't wait to try toast once the doughs cool down.  There's no bagel setting which is a little disappointing, and the manual isn't very clear on which elements are used in which setting?  Did I not read it carefully enough?

Time to read through all three parts again to see what other tips/tricks I can glean with this giant (to me) countertop toaster oven.

jedovaty

jedovaty

Tried to bake a small sourdough batard simply on bread setting and it baked the bread, but no oven spring and dense loaf compared to same dough in the regular oven with stainless bowl + ice cubes.  I think I'll swing by pottery store tomorrow to pick up a small kiln shelf, cut it to size, use the oven in dry pre-heat mode, then bake with steam.  Seems to be fine with a 400-500g loaf size, which is perfect.  It heats up the house less, but, it costs more because electricity where I live is something crazy like over $0.40/kwh 🤑.

Can't wait to try toast once the doughs cool down.  There's no bagel setting which is a little disappointing, and the manual isn't very clear on which elements are used in which setting?  Did I not read it carefully enough?

Time to read through all three parts again to see what other tips/tricks I can glean with this giant (to me) countertop toaster oven.