• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That sucks.  How long have you had it?

Good question.  This

Is when I got my first one. So that's over 8 years ago (when I started the original thread about the Steam Girl).

Now - checking Amazon, I see the second one wasn't purchased until July, 2019 - meaning Steam Girl 1 lasted over 5 years.  Steam Girl 2 is not gonna make it to the ripe, old age of 3.

But more importantly, isn't the lifespan of a product like this based more on usage than actual age in years? And I'd guess I've used model 2 a lot, especially over the pandemic time. A real lot.

In any event, time for a new countertop toaster/oven. Which might not have steam.

weinoo

weinoo

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That sucks.  How long have you had it?

Good question.  This

Is when I got my first one. So that's over 8 years ago (when I started the original thread about the Steam Girl).

Now - checking Amazon, I see the second one wasn't purchased until July, 2019 - meaning Steam Girl 1 lasted over 5 years.  Steam Girl 2 is not gonna make it to the ripe, old age of 3.

But more importantly, isn't the lifespan of a product like this, based more on usage than actual age in years? And I'd guess I've used model 2 a lot, especially over the pandemic time. A real lot.

In any event, time for a new countertop toaster/oven. Which might not have steam.